Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
April 17, 2014, 08:00:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air tank lanyard valve question  (Read 3200 times)
WEC4104

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2009, 08:17:53 PM »

Sit back guys... It's silly question time!

The standard drain valve on my 4104's rear air tank is pretty buggered up and I've decided to replace the valve. In the meantime, I came across a brand new tank, so I decided to do both at once.

In considering my drain valve situation, I have noticed several discussions on the lanyard pull-cord style, which would make the draining process a lot easier.   Easier is good.

A recent thread mentioned Napa as a source for these, and I swung by and picked one up. The package says Haldex KN21004, but I don't have the Napa receipt and their part number in front of me. The photo below shows the item, and it has about a 3 foot cable attached.

I pulled it out tonight and started looking at it, thinking I would get started by attaching it to the tank. Playing with it, I held the valve in my hand and pulled on the cable. It didn't budge. However, I can push in on the little stem, in the direction of my yellow arrow.  Huh, isn't that backwards?

I was picturing the valve at the bottom of the tank with the lanyard dangling below. Pull down on the cable and the tank drains, no?   I guess if I pull sideways on it, it breaks the seal a little, but it doesn't seem like it would drain right to me.

I thought maybe it needs to be under pressure to operate properly, so I threaded it onto the end of my air compressor line.  Nope, the stem wants to be pushed in to let air/water escape.

So guys, is my thinking bass ackwards, or did I purchase the wrong part?

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:37:49 PM »

No - you've got the right one - identical to the three that I installed about a month ago.  I was confused by exactly what is bothering you too.  You don't pull out on the stem but rather deflect it sideways.  And a surprising amount of air will come out when you do that.  Just run the cable over to the side of the bus somewhere that you can easily get hold of it to pull and it will work fine.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
BUR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »

Just what Bob said. The only word of caution I have is where you route your cable. In snowy and icy conditions I have had ice build up on the cable and dump my air going down the road. Not really something you want to deal with in a blizzard.  PS they work great.   BUR

1980 Prevost   8V71TA  6 speed stick
Homebase   Kelso, Washington
Coming to a city near you      "Fulltiming"
Winter months   Yuma AZ
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 06:26:36 AM »

Thanks guys.  As always, this board is a never ending source of answers.

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 08:00:42 AM »

Think of the inside of that part where the cable attaches as being T shaped. It seals on the bottom, under the armpits and when you pull sideways, you tip the T so the air sneaks out under the side closest to the direction of pull. The piece is really round, like an intake/exhaust valve out of an engine, but easier to describe in two dimensions.

The air pressure makes it seal tighter, by pushing on the top of the T.

Excellent question, as they aren't immediately intuitive at all!!

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
gus

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 09:43:45 PM »

To say it another way, the drain valve is designed to point straight down and the cable to be pulled to the side.

I run my cable into the front left wheel well using wire clamps as cable guides/holders.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 05:28:33 AM »

I ran mine into the wheel well's also, and attached with stainless/rubber cable clamps. I can reach in and pull the cable. I did have some ice build up on it in the blizzards we were in last March in Wyoming, but it was not enough to open the valves, but certainly something I will be aware of should I ever find myself in those icing conditions again (hopefully never again).

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gus

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 01:08:33 PM »

I was only in icing conditions once and I parked then so having the cable in the wheel well is no problem. I just sit in my cozy bus until the weather improves.

I don't drive the bus in ice or snow, I'm too old and smart for that nonsense.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 03:38:33 PM »

I just installed the drain valve with lanyard, Started up after oil change and conversion to spin on filter. I figure I will blow down after 20 minutes of operation and nothing. I pull from the side, and straight down nothing. I try again, nothing.

Good thing no one else was around, as I again pulled the lanyard, but this time more assertively, and Voila, just as designed. What a weak wristed, funny person I was up to that point......

I am glad that this has the resistance it does to insure I do not lose air going down the road from this valve. I know it was designed for this service, but out of the box it seemed to have much less resistance.

Thanks to Bob of the North, and others for the recommendation.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 03:58:32 PM »

Did you buy a new one off the shelf and if yes do you have the info on the replacement tank you installed I would be interested.  I need to change mine and the bus is a bit far away.  Basically any and all info appreciated, as going out to pull the tank and then ordering it will make it a 2 day job instead of one (aren't I optimistic)

Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »

ZZ,
I did not replace a tank, despite my slightly run-on post. I only replaced the valve on the first blowdown after the compressor. The valve was not a stock item at my closest NAPA, but they had same in 4hrs, close enough.

Not sure I have helped ?

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »

I just bought 4 of the drain valves but have not put them in yet, got other things going on this week. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2009, 08:15:27 AM »

On the MCI 9 mine all leak. I found the manual one work better on the 4104. You can release them with a pole and hook without getting under the bus. I replaced the rear one ( which never worked right )with a value.

John
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 08:17:37 AM »

Just what Bob said. The only word of caution I have is where you route your cable. In snowy and icy conditions I have had ice build up on the cable and dump my air going down the road. Not really something you want to deal with in a blizzard.  PS they work great.   BUR

Before taking a trip in those conditions, I tend to spray WD-40 on anything that I don't want ice to build up on, including the chains on the air drains.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »

BG,

Good idea, I never thought of that! However, I don't drive in icing conditions if I can avoid it.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: