Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 30, 2014, 12:11:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terrible week in Paradise! (business)  (Read 3713 times)
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2009, 08:03:10 AM »

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2009, 08:07:15 AM »

#9 & 10

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 08:08:10 AM »

#11 & 12 (That's all of them!)

www.kylakesidetravel.net

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 08:41:46 AM »

Bryce,  it could have been alot worse..    The tree branch could have raked the roof line and punched a hole in the roof skin.    I feel your pain.   

I suspect a hole in the roof would be easier and cheaper to fix.  I would suspect a piece of flat metal could be welded over the hole and nobody would know the difference as long as it was on top of the roof and not on the radius.

Bryce, nobody said owning buses is cheap.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Airbag

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 08:43:49 AM »

Interesting the way those windows are potted around the edges. Is that a resin or urathane? I can see why they are so expensive.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2009, 09:46:20 AM »

Quote from: belfert
Bryce, nobody said owning buses is cheap.

Brian you are very right! (hmmm seems as if somebody might have told you that very same thing sometime! Hmmm wonder who it could have been?! LOL!

Quote from: Airbag
Interesting the way those windows are potted around the edges. Is that a resin or Ruthanne? I can see why they are so expensive.

I believe urethane. At least that's what they say to use in the replacement procedure! But I also noted that it said "before replacing window be sure to clean ALL surfaces of ALL resin and debris."
So does this mean the factory uses resin, but for replacement they want urethane used?
Beats the heck out of me. All I know is I'm going to have them do it. And for what they are charging it'd better be done right! Grin  BK  Grin
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 09:49:21 AM by Busted Knuckle » Logged

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »

OK All ya'll over on the east coast be prepared I'm leaving for NC! Grin
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »

Aww Shucks Bryce. You could fix that easily the Pennsyluckian way. A little tinted Plexiglass and some duct tape. Good as New!  Grin Grin

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 10:28:41 AM »

OK update time. Those of you in the lovely tar heel state probably notice there were no big explosions, earth quakes or major incidents in the Greensboro area yesterday.
Well after leaving Cadiz, KY where my sister & I met up with mom & Dad so I could by Dad dinner for father's day, and to let him look @ his bus (it was his that got the windows knocked out!).
I left @ 5:00 PM and drove straight thru arriving at Setra's front gate @ 3AM. I parked right dab square in the middle of the drive in front of the gate to be sure anyone coming in would have to wake me up in order to get it the gate.
I did my log book, a walk around inspection, watered the flowers beside the gate, and got back in the bus. I took some of the spare clothes I'd brought and made a pillow roll out of them ( I forgot to pack a pillow and there wasn't one on the bus!), and laid down about 4 rows back across the seats to take a nap.
I'd just got comfy and was about to drift off when I heard something and looked up and saw a car parked on the other side of the gate with lights shining in my bus.
So I got up and went to the driver seat and rolled my window down and an the security guard asked "how long ya been here?" I told him jest a couple mins.  (nice security car too by the way an '05 or newer Mustang GT!)
He walked over and opened the gate and told me to pull on back to the service department and park.
I got parked and laid down again. Then a little while later I hear something rumbling and look up to see a guy parking a nice Harley "night train" that is definitely cammed out to the max (labop da lablop, labop da labop) about 30' away.
I looked at my cell phone and it's only 5 AM! So I laid back down. 1/2 hr later I hear blurp, blurp, blurp, blurp, blurp, blurp, Blurp X 7! They are backing out 7 Sprinter Vans from the shop at once. Ummm so much for a nap, but I try anyway, and lay down again.
About 1/2 hr later I hear a metal walk in door slam, then I hear voices (outside the bus, not in my head!) and they are talking about "Wow something had to hit those hard to do that kind of damage!" Then I also hear "Yeah that's gonna require body work and I didn't include any time in there for body work! Well maybe by the time they call checking on it or show up from the hotel I can have that added to the estimate."
"Well OK but don't schedule it in to be done until after the 4th of July week-end because I'm covered up in the body shop until then!"
Whoa hold the presses! I'm up and headed out the door now! "Woe, woe woe there fellows!"
They are totally shocked now as they didn't know or expect I was in the bus! I told them "hey look we ain't having those scrapes/scratches fixed right now! Just the windows replaced, I ain't got time to wait until after July 4th & ain't gonna pay for it to sit here that long until you can do it!"
Both of them give me a puzzled look and the one say's "well we wouldn't expect you to pay for it to sit here!"
SO I asked "are you the one who quoted 42 hrs or $8,000.00 just to replace the windows on Friday?"
The other guy about falls over and the one said "well yes but I was on my way home driving when I threw those figures out to Howard to give you as a rough guesstimate!"
I told him "well your rough guesstimate caused me to have a heart attack, and almost made me call you this AM and tell you impolitely what you could do to yourself, instead of being here @ 8 AM like I had said I would b4 getting the price! And on top of that if you guys charge $142 an hr for 42 hrs to replace windows I probably need to take it to our local body shop any way!"
Well the one guy excuses himself and goes back inside!
Then the still there one looked at me and said "we only charge $80 an hr. Where did you get $142?"
I said "Look in TN $6000 divided by 42 equals $142 and some change per hr! I already know the windows are roughly $2000 and they'd best not be ROUGH at that price!"
He then said "look I think we got off to a bad start here let's go in my office and sit down and see where we are $ wise and start fresh from there!"
I looked him and said "wait how much is that cost?"
He laffed and said "nothing, come on inside I think you'll be surprised!"
I told him "I was already surprised, and not sure I could take anymore surprises!"
Well we went in his office and he did some work on his computer, and he printed out an estimate of 24 hrs plus parts, plus yada, yada, yada that came to just over $ 4200! And asked me how that looked?
I told him "It'sstill too high, but what can I do you got me over a barrel and you know it!"
Just then the another guy came around the corner and said "I got that #742 bus in the shop. Do you have an RO so I can get the windows, if we eve have them in stock!"
I looked at him and told him "go see Daniel in parts he looked them up Friday and said he had a whole pallet of each of them in stock!"
Then the first guy said "here Woody look at this and see what we can do to get it down some!"
Woody took it looked at it for maybe 2 seconds and said "lower the hrs on that to below 20 and we'll be on target!
I thanked Woody and told both of them now I was a lot happier and could deal with that!
So I signed the quote for $37??.?? and asked if they had a way for me to get to the hotel!
Tom looked up and said "sure you can have the courtesy car!"
More on the courtesy car later! LOL!
Grin  BK  Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 10:55:57 AM »

BK,

Sorry to hear of your recent troubles, you will have it straightend out shortly and no doubt a good story to go along with it.

You know that Jack and I just replaced my front windshields, so any slight mention of broken glass makes me a bit nervous.

Of course Julie's going to nominate me for the Darwin awards, bought my Son a new Red Rider BB rifle the week before I put the new windshields in.  Undecided

Looking forward to your "happy" ending

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 07:54:51 PM »

... bought my Son a new Red Rider BB rifle the week before I put the new windshields in.  Undecided

He'll shoot his eye out!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 08:08:12 PM »

Now I remember, why I'm no longer in business for myself.  I can actually take a day off and not be missed.

Sorry to hear about your week.  It will be better.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Airbag

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 08:51:21 PM »

BK
I wish I had a nickel for every job I've guesstimated and never heard from them again. I don't give guesstimates anymore. Today we all have to sharpen our pencils. I have been lowering my rates and it is still tough out there. The county keeps raising my taxes and the landlord keeps raising my rents.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 07:20:26 AM »

... bought my Son a new Red Rider BB rifle the week before I put the new windshields in.  Undecided

He'll shoot his eye out!

Craig,

You got me laughing   Grin

My wife, for some reason, doesn't like that movie "A Christmas Story", maybe because I watch it EVERY time its on......But was also quick to quote "He will shoot his eye out"   LOL

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
cody

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 07:26:19 AM »

I've found that turning the gun around corrects that problem, that little hole at the end wasn't a peep sight after all lol.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: