Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:21:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our transmission issues are resolved! YeeHaw!  (Read 1327 times)
Christyhicks

1991 Beaver Prevost LeMirage XL

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2006, 06:29:25 AM »

Well, had a long conversion with a very helpful Nick at Nimco transmission, and we've come to the conclusion that we actually have a VS2-8 transmission after all.   Grin The case is definitely a VH case, as evidenced by the tag on the side, but based on several factors, it's pretty certain that someone simply used the VH housing on a VS2-8.  He said that often they use 730 housings on rebuilt 731's, so it wouldn't surprise him at all to see a VS2-8 inside a VH housing.

Here are the reasons we believe this to be so:

we have a 2 5/8" spacer between the transmission and engine.  Nick explained to me that the VH has the planetary's there, but that the VS2-8 requires a spacer of, guess what, 2 5/8".

We have driven about 5000 miles since we purchased the bus, and pretty much all of those have been highway miles.  The bus has gone from Ft. Pierce, FL down to the keys in one long drive, then back from the keys to Daytona, FL in another long haul of all day interstate driving, then on up to Nashivlle before heading back to Oklahoma.  From Oklahoma it's gone to Texas a couple of times and most recently to Joplin, MO and back.  The last trip was in 100 degree weather  Cry  and we drove it 60-65 mph from Tulsa to OKC without a break.  Nick said that there is just no way that a VH would have lasted to the Keys on the first drive, much less any of the following miles.   Roll Eyes

We've been on quite a few hills, albeit no mountains or extreme grades, but several hills, and we didn't notice much drop in speed at all.  When we purchased the bus, Larry ran it on up to 70 mph to see what it would do  Shocked , and he did not top end it, but it had no problem getting there quickly.  Normally, he runs between 55-65 mph on the highway, and at those speeds for hours on end, he's noticed no problems whatsoever with the transmission.  Nick said that it's pretty obvious that it has to be a VS2-8 inside there, as a VH would struggle above 45 mph. 

So, we think we're ok, and we appreciate Nick's help and the fact that he ended the conversation with the sentiment that he was not about to try to sell us something we didn't need and he'd be there for us if we ever needed him, but that it was obvious we were fine.   Grin

So, anyone have any comments?  Agree?  Disagree?  Please feel free to tell me what you think so we can lay this to rest permanently!  Wink Christy Hicks

If chased by a bear, you don't need to run faster than the bear, just faster than your companion!
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 07:32:47 AM »

Christy,

After talking with you in the Chat room last night I could see a huge weight removed from you and Larry's shoulders.

If I were you, before putting Temp Bus up for sale, I would remove the offending tag before any possible new owner happens to see it.

If a prospective buyer saw that tag and knew as little as I do about those transmissions, it would scare him/her off.

After removing the tag, you might want to just stamp into the housing "VS2-8"

Dallas

Buffalo SpaceShip

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 09:27:15 AM »

Boy, that's good news!

You guys should still spend a little time cleaning up the connections to the shifter and protecting them from the elements.

Glad to hear that you won't be having to do a tranny swap. Nimco and NIck sure sound like good people.

Thanks for the update,
Brian Brown
4108-216

Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »

What great news, Christie!  You had most of us concerned that you (and Larry) might not continue to remain "totally shiftless" for a reasonable period of time. Cheesy

God forbid, that you would break down on the road and we'd have to break up a great beer drinking rally in SC or TN and have to go and rescue the two of you! Wink

Did you hear that collective sigh of relief with the good news? Kiss

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 04:49:23 PM »

Christyhicks, Glad you are on track.  Just to let you know Nick at  Nimco runs a salvage yard.  Great guy and he knows his bus parts. They sell transmissions, engines and other parts.  Tom Y 

Tom Yaegle
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 09:17:21 AM »

That's great that the transmission mystery is solved.  Sounds like you're on the east coast.  Maybe sometime in the future you could look into getting a true shifter for that transmission that will allow you to select a gear to be able to hold it in that gear for coming down long grades.  I live in L.A. and you have to go over mountain passes to just about go anywhere.  So personally, I looked for a bus both with the V730 and a gear selector (R-N-3-2-1) also added a Jake brake and now am confident on coming down the hills.  Once I get the turbo installed, I'll be confident enough about going up and not smoking everyone out also. 
Once again, glad to here everything worked out and it performs well.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: