Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 02, 2014, 01:37:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: True Life gas generator  (Read 4488 times)
eagle10

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:03:08 PM »

One of my friends is thinking about an 8,000 watt True Life generator. I have never heard of it. Do any of you know anything about a True Life?
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 02:10:46 PM »

I don't know much about these generators, but from what I could glean from Google and eBay, many of them are 2cycle gas engines and probably pretty noisy.

Another thing I would think about, since there wasn't much information available, is, how do you buy parts for the thing or where can you get service work done on it.

Just my 2 cents worth

Dallas
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 07:01:08 PM »

May be a chinese import... and 8,000 watt... Probably won't run for long, The latest ones have a 1 cyl engine 16.5 hp
and air cooled, gotta be tragically noisy.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:35:26 AM »

FWIW.  Generators are usually offered in two versions. 2 Pole =3600 RPM's.  4 Pole = 1800 RPM's.  Years ago General Motors built some 3 pole units = 1200 RPM's.. but they're dinosaurs now.

Obviously it's cheaper to build the 2 pole units with the lower HP engines..but they're noisier 'n I wanna be around.  It takes 1.36 HP to generate 1 KW of electricity.  So it stands to reason the you'd have a larger engine on an 1800 RPM genset to develope the needed HP at the lower RPM.

Having been in the generator business for over 20 years here's my advice.  First, buy American.  Parts for foreign built gensets are just too hard to find.  Second, buy from a Manufacturer who's still in business and has a good track record of service and parts.

There's no such thing as a good, cheap generator.  A quality unit is going to seperate you from some serious bucks.  There are some good used machines out there but you have to shop for them.

The LP dealer in our town has two 6.5 Onan gensets for sale (LP gas).  And he's a BusNut.  One's an NH the other an Emerald. If you're interested...contact me  I'll give you his phone number.  I get nothing for the effort...he's a good guy.

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: