Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 07:18:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: west virginia mountains and the grades...  (Read 1003 times)
mikelutestanski

Mikes Metal Mistress

Ignore
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:11:01 AM »

Hello:    If you want to test your bus engine and climbing ability West Virginia is the place for you. WE just arrived in Pittsburg heading north from Charlotte.  (Stayed @ RJlinchs place for a few days whilst visiting family.. Thank you RJ for extending your hospitality and throwing out the power plug. Finally got to meet some other nuts).   
    ANyway from Charlotte we headed north on 77 and tested fancy gap in virginia..   7% grade going north.   After heading north to WV. we headed East on 64 and there are a few tests there   some 8 % grades..
   But the true test is up on route 92 north from White sulfur springs through Cass to Durbin to elkins WV.   THe very best is cheat mountain out of Durbin which is 11% down the north side with 11% ; 4.5 miles with probably 4 or 5 180 degree turns and a whole bunch of other twists and turns..   I can say that the retarder was put to the test and the Cummins came through admirably. 
   We are using both radiators and are very happy that the engine temp never moved even with the retarder adding heat to the system.  We are under HP at 275 but the engine climbs very well ( slowly at times but we are retired and the fuel average is 7.5).
    WE visited the Cass State park for the shay locomotives and the Durbin rocket which is a 1904 climax steamer. 
      SO the adventure continues and after spending 6 weeks painting the bus we are out on an extended trip enjoying the bus..
    Regards and happy busssin      mike

Mike Lutestanski   Dunnellon Florida
  1972 MCI 7
  L10 Cummins  B400R  4.625R
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 08:35:55 AM »

SO the adventure continues and after spending 6 weeks painting the bus we are out on an extended trip enjoying the bus..
    Regards and happy busssin      mike

Have a great trip guys.  When you run into somebody along the way that has one of them fancy new fangled digital camera things could you maybe get them to take a couple of pictures and send them to the interweb so the rest of us can see this new paint job?   Grin

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 08:37:38 AM »

Mike,
     Sounded like a fun time..........Did you get to look at the scenery whilst you were mountain climbing?
     Love them twists and turns Smiley Good exercise
    7.5 mpg with mountains is good!

Take care
   Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
MCI-RICK

1986 TMC 102A3 6V92TA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 08:44:51 AM »

Mike,

Now you know your bus can mountain climb with out a problem!

How about some pics of the paint?

Be safe but have fun!

Rick

Aim high but look out below
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 09:44:43 AM »

If you guys want to do a real a test come to AZ in July and Aug then do the Laughlin to Searchiight run as Bobofthenorth stated it will separate the boys from the men  no wimpy 80 or 90 degrees here 106 today    good luck
« Last Edit: June 23, 2009, 10:09:50 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »

Clifford is right - gotta love dusting the 18 wheelers on that run but I think cooling might be a bit more of an issue for me in 106 temps.  I think I'll stay where I am - I can blow by the semis on Rogers Pass next weekend and the temps won't be nearly that high.  And I love coming into Golden hanging on the Jake through all the switchbacks.  I have just as much fun going down a long grade with the Jake barking away behind me - sometimes I open the ticket window just so I can listen to it echoing off the guard rails.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »

>>Hello:    If you want to test your bus engine and climbing ability West Virginia is the place for you. WE just arrived in Pittsburg heading north from Charlotte.<<

Mike,

I'm just North of New Stanton, about 35 miles SE of Pittsburgh. Jason Blake is just an hour or so North of here, if you would like some more hills to find and climb, PM me off the thread. I wrote about a GMC/Ward bus earlier that I looked at today, so I'll be posting pics soon.

Enjoy South-Western PA! There is a lot to see and do here, from historical stuff to river and waterway amusements, city/cultural/arts (Food!), and of course amusement parks. Take your pick!

Doug

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 05:38:28 PM »

Hey Bob...... Grin

Rogers pass BC   1330 meters
     Rogers pass Mt.   1709 meters (just outside Helena)

We're waiting for ya Grin

Have a safe trip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: