Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 22, 2014, 05:29:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine Coolant Problem - Need Help!  (Read 5191 times)
Hard Headed Ken

1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 08:48:37 PM »

I just wanted to say I don't think it would hurt to add Alumiseal to the coolant system. (It looks like like an aluminum powder, most auto parts stores carry it) The reason I use it in an emergency situation is because years ago I worked for Honda as a mechanic and all of their training instructors disapproved of any additive until one of their engines had a porous cylinder head casting. Honda actually recommended using Aluminseal as a repair. I thought if it was good enough for these additive hating people it must be OK. I've used it several times and have recommended it many times. It usually works. There are many types of products like this, use your own judgment or maybe someone has a suggestion for a better product. My advice is drain the antifreeze, refill with plain water, add some type of coolant system sealer and come on home where you have control of the repair.

Ken

Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 11:03:32 PM »

I have no experience with this....for openers.  If head bolts are the problem and replacing them is the fix....why can't you R&R each head bolt separately and torque it to max?  The adjoining bolts should be set and doing one at a time wouldn't allow the head gasket to shift....I don't think.  Hope that think part isn't the operative word.  If they are studs that wouldn't change much as I see it.  Good idea...bad idea....what?

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2009, 06:46:19 AM »

Again, I want to thank all of you great folks for your written responses and phone calls!

With your help, I kept from going crazy (or is that crazier Cheesy). 

As noted, we will have to miss some commitments as both an attendee (Eagle Bus Rally in Ennis MT and Converted Coach Rally in OH) and Vendor (FMCA in Bowling Greeen, OH).  That is troublesome, but not the end of the world.

After this rally (First Fleetwood Factory rally) here in Gillette, we will head home.  As a side note, they were not sure this rally would take place because of the Fleetwood Chapter 11 filing).  There are over 400 coaches here and the vendors area opens today. 

The first order of action I will take when I get home is to have two oil samples (one from my last change that I never got to the lab and one I will pull when I get home) and antifreeze analyzed.  I will then start pulling the engine.  That is not a huge task, since I am the one that put it in there .

I will start studying the service manual while I am here (have an electronic version on my computer), to see if I want to tackle the head gasket replacement myself.  Hopefully, it does not take too many special tools.

I plan to update this thread as I progress.  I will probably turn it into an article for BCM 

As a side note, I have been pouring my sole into an engine conversion article for BCM.  I am about 80% done.  It is long enough that Chad and I think it well be published in installments.   I will have to see how this "adventure" fits into that article Huh.

This group of "crazy" folks is beyond description.  Your thoughts and support mean more than than you can possible imagine.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: