Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 02, 2014, 07:24:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, we will replace all of your E-Mags for free.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new type 'silent diesel generator" for bus use?  (Read 3343 times)
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 04:47:31 AM »

I had the same set-up as Cody in my 04 and it worked well. Mine was a Yamaha 3000 with the boost feature. picture here

http://i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww347/Michigander_Bob/My%20First%20Conversion/9-Generator.jpg

The Yamaha will start a bigger load than the honda and the wheels are included but otherwise identical. If you have propane you can convert it to dual fuel (gas/propane) If I had to do it all over again I would have got a Honda 6010 gas unit.

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 05:02:15 AM »

Gumpy,

Your gen run everything ok?  or do you have to do some power management?

Rick 

So far, I have not had a problem running everything I need to run. It will run my basement air just fine and charge the batteries as well. That's really the only
things I need it for. The stove / oven is gas and I don't run my water heater element on the generator electric.

I figured I could get by with a 4 Kw generator. I had found a 3 Kw at Powertech, but had not found a 4 Kw anywhere. Then I stumbled on this unit. It came from a wrecked high end sticks and staples that had less than 4000 miles on it. I doubt it had 20 hours on it. I got it for a deep discount.

The only thing I don't like about the ONAN is trying to get parts for it. You can't order them directly, and the only place close to me that is a dealer is Camping World, and they have a huge markup on drop shipped parts.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 05:50:03 AM »

Here is a quiet diesel 8k in michigan on craigs list for 2500  http://flint.craigslist.org/rvs/1229462946.html

FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 06:22:08 AM »

Brian,

I would avoid any of these so called quiet diesel's that are running at 3600 rpm.

You would be money ahead to buy a name brand, water cooled diesel, that runs at 1800 rpm, and that also provides support and parts into the future.

No offense meant, but this is one of those "Buy cheap, Buy twice" situations.

I have had both gas and diesel, and I am glad (overjoyed) to be rid of having to carry the second fuel.

Best of luck on your search,

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 06:35:16 AM »

Guys, lot of good diesel genearators out there in 4 to 7 kw range, when rental stores replace their light stand those can be bought at a good price I bought 5 a few years back and paid very little for the 5 from RSC and they have a low db rating also.          good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
bigjohnkub
pd4903-188 and now pd4107

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 06:48:56 AM »

I use two Honda 3000isu generators. They are hooked together with a parallel kit . it gives me enough
power to run everything at same time Except hot water heater. I have to turn off one  A/c unit to use hot water heater.  Hooked together, they will only give 5500 watts at 120 volt, which is about 29.amps.
They will run 12 hr on 5 gallons of fuel. I really like them.
  That being stated, I am purchasing a 6000isu. About same fuel consumption, but has remote start capabilities, and a smaller footprint than 2 3000.
  I had thought about separate zones , but could not puzzle it out to meet my needs.
  These generators put out a "pure sine wave" which is important to computer folks, but I don't use computers on vacation.
  If you have any concerns about their operation, PM me . I have used this set up two years.

Big John  Tyler Tx PD 4903-188 & 4107
871 dd, 4 spd Fuller.
LOVE MY BUS!!!!
cody

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 06:49:53 AM »

I'm using my honda because thats what I have, I'm slowly working my way into a different setup tho. I bought a 2800 watt pure sine wave inverter and I'm looking at several solar options, I'm also running 4 AGM batteries, I'd like 8 but that all takes time, the best generator for my application would be about a 8K diesel, the 1800RPM in a quiet box so I could back away from such strict power management practices and relax and run all my electrical crap at will lol.  My honda works great but it was a stopgap measure at the beginning to buy time to see what I really needed and wanted.  As I bring the rest of the conversion around and expand on what I want, I'll review my needs and make a better determination of what I'll eventually end up with.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »

I called a large dealer of these types of silent diesel generators.  He said that even though they are enclosed they need to be in open air to cool.  So doesn't recommend a bus bay.  He likes watercooled for that.  He does say that a single cylinder is smoother at 3600 rpm than at low rpm, which makes some sense, but I have crossed these off my list.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »

Here is a quiet diesel 8k in michigan on craigs list for 2500  http://http://flint.craigslist.org/rvs/1229462946.html

That could be one heck of a buy for someone!

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 06:21:39 AM »

Just a bit about the "Quiet" Diesel's from Onan.  I've experienced several installations on sticks and staples-they typically install them behind the front bumper (or what they call a bumper) without another enclosure around them.  If the Quiet Diesel is parked across from us, and my genset is on (10kw Powertech Diesel in a compartment I made), you won't be able to hear my genset until you're within 10ft of my bus-compared to the noise the Quiet Diesel makes.
Powertech makes a nifty 8kw Diesel that uses a 3 cylinder Kubota that is layed over on its' side for lower clearance.  I had a friend that had this unit on his big rig and it had over 23,000 hrs on it when he sold the bus (with one gen overhaul, but not the engine [that's like over 900,000 miles]).  The unit has it's own sound cover on the engine and a squirrel cage blower to suck the air through the radiator and blow the hot air down to the ground.
I use a 10kw since I have 3 roof airs, 2-elec water heaters, electric heat in my bathroom-the only propane I have is my stove and furnace.
I realize that the gen is the next most expensive piece of equipment from the purchase price of the bus.  Please get a quality unit that you know will be able to get factory backing when the unit goes south.  I am using a Wrico International 13kw (same basic size as the 10kw) for my next conversion and will be making my own enclosure.  My goal is to have as near to a silent running genset as possible (think studio gensets). 
Remember-there is no such thing as a too quiet genset.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 04:28:18 PM »

I would really have a problem trading my Honda EV 6010 propane powered gen for something else. I have an 80 gallon propane tank mounted in the front bay on the street side behind the gen. The only downfall is I can't throw a 20 lb tank in the truck, run downtown and refill it but at 80 gallons........ they'll come fill me if need be. I can run both airs off of it at the same time but as with even a 50 amp shoreline I can't run the ac's, water heater and microwave all at the same time. Power management even when plugged in. I have the remote start (not wireless). It's pretty quiet and from inside the bus it's quiter than the ac units for sure. I really like the propane to run the engine as it eliminates dual fuels (you're already carrying propane) and you don't have to contend with what gas does to the carbs over the winter. I just hit the start and it fires up. After all my years of dealing with motorcycles I've found that it's pretty hard to beat the reliability of anything with the word Honda on it and liquid cooled. Sorry Harley fans.  Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: