Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 11:35:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plated frame!  (Read 1066 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2009, 07:37:33 PM »

In preparation for pulling my trailer, I had my engine frame rails plated/repaired.  This was a job I just was not equipped to do.  The top rails, verticals and diagonals are mild steel, but the bottom is stainless.  I paid a little over 1200 dollars to have the job done and I am very happy with what I could see tonight.  I have not crawled under (after blocking) to see the rest and take more pictures.  There were several diagonal and horizontal supports damaged on the passenger side as well as damage from some idiot trying to jack up the bus on that point.  You can see that repair done here:

Here is the same side from the passenger side engine door:

More to come!

Glenn
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:44:35 PM by Tenor » Logged

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 07:40:47 PM »

The driver's side only had a little rust on one vertical piece at the bottm.  Here is the plated result:

Here is the passenger side:

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 05:16:04 AM »

Looks Good Glenn. Did they repair or straighten the cradle before it was plated? I can relate to idiots using it as a jacking point. Mine looks like a roller coaster.

poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:52:49 AM »

Just a curious question(s).........

If the u-bolt that holds you engine should break or need to be replaced
  How are you going to do that?

Will the u-bolt drop down far enough to not be in the way if yo need to remove the engine? (heavan forbid)

Thanks
 Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45:06 AM »

I noticed that too Poppi. I do think they should basically spin out of the way (can't see enough in the pics to tell for sure) if need be but replacing them may be tough. How many times would they ever need to be replaced? Probably not worth worrying about in the long run. I'm going to look at my 7 as I'll be pulling a trailer also. I'm glad I own my own shop!!! $1200 will put a big dent into some other projects I have in mind. Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 02:33:50 PM »

Yep, the u-bolts will swing forward or backward to clear out of the way.  My engine is almost new, so I'm not too worried about needing to pull it.  More likely I'll put an automatic in first.  Even that might not be for 10 years.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:41:28 PM »

Most welders are pretty smart about altering stuff and thinking about down the road (just cuz I am one Cheesy). Now if an engineer had designed the repair................ Angry Looks good and you have some  piece of mind now. Fixing first is always better and cheaper than fixing after, price wise and sleep wise!!!   Now you're good to go and I'll be checking out my 7. Thanks for the post Glenn. Us 7 owners have to stick together!!  Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Tom Y

80 5C With Cummins L10 in Progress

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »

Glenn, Another idea? I was told they put a cross piece between the rails for Greyhounds. Bolted in tieing the bottoms together. I have one if intrested in a pic?  Tom Y

Tom Yaegle
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 07:21:03 PM »

You're right Tom, they did put that crossmember in.  My bus does have it already.  Thank you for the offer!  After I do a little testing with my trailer hitch, I may tie into those brackets for extra reinforcement.  Now that I'm plated, I could mount anything I want as long as it won't interfere with engine removal.

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: