Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 03, 2014, 12:34:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Big Move-Scenicrusier- now completed  (Read 3464 times)
Michael_e

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:39:58 PM »

The subject line sums it up fairly well. I've pretty much ran out of time and am going to have it moved via Landoll. I have got almost all the air leaks fixed, but only get about 95lbs pressure on the gauge. Now, with NO air in the system i can jack up the front wheels on at a time and spin them. So the brakes are not locked on the front. On the rear, i can jack up each wheel one at a time and spin that wheel. So i guess i don't have to worry about the brakes being locked, right?? BTW, the trans is an automatic and still in neutral. Or, when i apply air to the system, will it lock up the brakes until it reaches a certain level. And the bus is a 1955 Scenicrusier. If the brakes do lock up, is it just the rear most axle with the parking brake?? I'm working by myself here and can't hit the brakes and run back to see if anything is moving.
I really appreciate you guys help with this.   Mike
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:34:45 PM by Michael_e » Logged

1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.
fe2_o3

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:45:02 PM »

Have you got Da Book? Might come in handy.  Is the maxi on? When you air up to 95lb can you release the maxi.
If so will it move then? Where are you? Might be some one close to help, or at least kibitz....Cable

Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »

You should be ok with the Allison auto in neutral to get it on the landoll.  if you have to tow it very far then the you should pull the drive axles.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 06:47:30 AM »

It sounds like you do not have spring brakes and that the ICC valve is on.  That would apply the rear brakes as the pressure comes up.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:55:41 AM »

Well, things are really getting close now. Towing company is set to be here bright and early tomorrow. Got everything checked as much as i can. Brakes are released and air system will air up in 10 min or slightly less. Have a couple manual releases to get all air out once up on Landoll trailer. Will be heading East out of Denver tomorrow morning on I-70 to at least Cobly, Ks. Then we might be going the rest of the way East on Hwy24. If you just happen to see us, take a pic and post it to this thread and let us know where you were when you saw us. I'm sure there will be more to come. Thanks,
Mike

1955 GM Scenicrusier, 8V92TA & Allison 754. Totally rewiring all 12v systems and lots of questions.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 12:20:47 PM »

The winch on the landoll will drag your bus on the deck even with the rear brakes on.  Shocked But it sounds as tho you'll have no worries with the brakes.

With nothing on the roof & the air bags flat, the total height of your bus sitting on a landoll will be right at 13'6", so no worries there.

CHECK your window gaskets! I lost a tear drop window & Aaron lost a D window.

BTW, while Da Book is full of good information, it is merely a reference only since these buses have often been heavily modified in their past . . . .
None of mine have the DD3 park brakes, most have the maxi's

Good luck with the move & I hope your ole girl enjoys the ride!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »

Thanks for the tips there Kyle. I got some of those ratchet style tiedowns and wapped around the bus across the baggage bay doors. The rubber hinges on a couple are looking quite old. And i was just getting ready to duct take the teardrop windows and a really nice?? thunderstorm just came up and now everything is soaked. Got some small hail also. It really came up fast. Everything else should be ready for this adventure, i know i am. Maybe if we get the bus out from infront of the house, the house might sell quicker?? ya think?? LOL!! Probably should get the refridgerator off the porch too.

Mike

jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:08:56 PM »

Mike, I took my teardrops out so I would not have to worry about them!
You know they are made of 'unobtainium!'
Good luck with the move buddy, take lots of photos, I regret not taking more than I did.
Better yet, give your wife or kid or SOMEBODY the camera and tell them to shoot away!
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 09:43:41 AM »

Tuesday finally got here and man-o-man was i excited. I would have liked to gotten more pictures but i was involved in the moving process. I had to steer the bus up on the trailer as it was being winched.
First pic is of my bus just waiting for the big trailer to arrive.
Second pic is up on the trailer
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:46:27 AM by Michael_e » Logged

Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 09:47:29 AM »

Third pic is starting to roll out down the driveway
Fourth is finally off our property and headed down our road to begin the 450 mile adventure.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:49:04 AM by Michael_e » Logged

Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 10:12:36 AM »

I stood there for a few minutes just soaking up what had happened. Then had to get busy putting away the portable air compresser and ladder and a few other tools. Checked the house over, locked up, and finally got myself on the road pulling my own 16 foot flatbed trailer loaded up with an assortment of personal items. Should have gotten a picture of that but my mind was overloaded with what had just happened.
I took a slightly different route to get to I-70 than the towing company and i don't think i was going as fast as they were. My poor old pickup has 160K plus miles on it so i take it a little easy. So i'm headed east on I-70 and watching every off/on ramp just to make sure there have not been any problems. I especially watch the two big rig weigh stations, one at Limon, Co, and the other just as you cross into Kansas, to make sure my Scenicrusier hasn't been detained. No problems there. I get to Colby, Ks, get off I-70 and continue east on Hwy 24. Hwy 24 is a bit lesser traveled that that I-70, but it is a very good road in great condition with plenty of room to pull off in most places if needed. It really don't matter what road you travel in the western half of Kansas, not much to really look at out there. Ya kinda gots to like wheat and corn.
So, i'm still just motoring along and get to thinking, maybe i should check the cell phone. I pull into Hill City, Ks, and get off the road and flip that thing open and find that there is a message waiting. It turns out that the driver, Jason, said that he blew out one of the trailer tires right at Goodland, Ks and was in a shop getting it replaced. No dammage to anything and he said he should be on the road in about an hour. So, even at my somewhat slower pace, i managed to get ahead of him. So, i continue on and get into Beloit, Ks. our destination and head down to my shop. YIKES, it was 104 degrees and about 70-75 percent humidity. I was sweating like crazzy just trying to breath, let along doing any closely related to work. You couldn't lay your hand on anything metal with out gloves on or you would get burnt. I get the garage open and my trailer backed inside, unhooked, and the pickup out of the way. Set out a folding lawn chair inside the garage door and try and relax. About 30 minutes later, here came Jason with my baby. I only got a couple of pictures of the unloading due to having to help re air up my bus and watch that nothing got scraped off the bottom when unloading, plus it was just so dang hot i could barely function.  

Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »

So, there you go. The big day came and went without any real drama. Everything made the trip with out any incident. All the glass survived just fine. I bet i was in bed and asleep by 8pm. Boy - was i tired.
Next day i had quite a few of the locals stop by and talk about the Scenicrusier and the different times when they were younger having taking trips on a bus like that. Now, hopefully we can get that house sold in Denver and open a new chapter in our lives in a small town in Kansas with our Scenicrusier.

cody

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »

Its a beauty michael.
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 10:53:19 AM »

Congreat buddy!
Wish they were all that smooth!
Now let the fun begin!
JAck

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
wildbob24

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »

Congrats on a successful move.

The old girl looks like she's in pretty good shape. Should be fun bringing her back to life.

Bob

P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
Duluth, GA
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 08:40:02 PM »

Good to hear the move went well.
I know how it is when it comes to taking pictures, way too many distractions . . . . .

Good luck with the rest. . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »

Mike

We have talked via phone before. Refresh my memory.... Whats the serial number of you Scenic? Thanks

Tom McNally
Peoria, IL

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 03:33:33 PM »

Hi Tom,

Serial - PD4501-278

And while we're here, approxmiately what kind of air pressure should i be seeing on the gauge when running? I don't have any of my books here and i think i remember seeing the gauge right aroung 95 lbs when airing up the bus for transport. I was using a sears portable compressor and it would shutoff itself at around 140lbs. Wondering if something goofy is going on with the gauge in the bus or what.

Mike

DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 06:12:21 PM »

I'd think that your compressor has enough pressure and volume, but maybe you are not airing up the correct tank? Be sure you are airing up close to where the bus compressor discharges, ie wet tank, etc....just a thought.
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 06:37:59 PM »

Hi Mike

Thanks for the serial number. I think mine stays pretty well at 120 when totally aired up. There should be a 3/4" pipe plug in a line, or near a "small football" shaped cast air tank towards the top of the bulkhead behind the engine. This is a good place to plumb a 90 elbow and run it out next to the radiator with a quick connect. Or there should be a fitting in the drivers tool compartment. (1st outside door on left side of coach, below drivers feet). Where are you connecting your air?

Tom McNally
PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
Michael_e

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2009, 07:30:54 PM »

None of my air lines are original, or even in their original places. When i lowered the seat platforms, everything got relocated. I made a homemade sketch of how the lines were plummed, and then ran the lines in the same manner to where i relocated the tanks. I did add an air dryer to the system and placed it inline between the compressor and the first storage tank. I added a quick connect fitting right before that air dryer. What is sorta strange, is that the air gauge will show the pressure drop to about 20lbs in less than an hour, but all the air bags will hold a full charge for slightly over 24 hrs before they start leaking down. Confused?

bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 04:43:50 AM »

My guess is the gauge is reading the supply tank, the air bag suspension is fed from the accessory tank and there are check valves holding the air into the suspension.  On my bus the suspension holds for weeks on end, but the bus gauge reads 35 psi after 24 to 48 hours.  Why my bus stops leaking at 35 psi is a clue - to what I have no idea.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: