Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 23, 2014, 02:07:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driver's seat: Ultraleather vs cloth?  (Read 4900 times)
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 05:49:20 PM »

When we got our ultraleather furniture 4 1/2 years ago we were told it is warmer in the winter than leather, cooler in the summer than leather, will withstand way more abrasion than leather, will not crack like leather, and........believe it or not, is made from PVC plastic.  Cleans up using soap and water or you can use 409 if you want. So far it has held up for us really well and we fulltime so it gets a lot of use. Wasn't cheap at the time but i think it was worth the money. Was also told that a square yard of material was $65 at that time, may have come down since then.  Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 05:50:59 PM »

We have a Bostrom Air Ride with cloth. I really like it! I've had cars with leather and don't like the feel in hot or cold climates. As they age you slide around a lot because the leather is not a supple ( our 94 Lincoln ) . I've been very comfortable with ours, will not change it.

I don't have any experience with the Ultraleather type, so can't comment on that.

I don't like a mushy or too comfortable driver seat, I might fall asleep! Grin

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Fred Mc

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »

I have the original drivers seat in my bus that we re upholstered to match the rest. Other than the lack of arm rests it is very comfortable. It would seem to me that buses, like big trucks would have seats designed for long distance driving.

Fred. M
DSweet

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »

Cheesy Personally, I like cloth, I sweat easily so leather doesn't help much.  I've found
that the size of the seat is as important as the fabric and the bells and whistles.
At present, I have a mid - 1970s Dodge Van seat it has all I need, cloth upholstery,
and it fits me like a glove.  I'm 5'6" and need a seat that is no deeper 17" not to mention
that the back is the right height for me.  There really is more to seats than air ride and
leather. Just my two cents worth.
Blessings,
David
PD 4104-2977
Winton, CA.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »

I will certainly try a test sit in any seat I plan to buy before I buy it.  I know the National seat I sat in seemed like it might be too narrow, but it may just feel that way because it has better support.  I really don't know.

I do know that most motorhome driver's seats are too much like Lazy Boys for my taste.  I can't see them being comfortable for a long drive.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2009, 12:27:21 AM »

There is a fairly new upholstery used in truck seats called Mordura.  It is a very tough cloth, but looks good and BREATHES!  Ultra leather, leather, or solid vinyl does not breath and will cause you to sweat.  I always like cloth for these reasons.  Good Luck TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2009, 01:21:01 AM »

I'd be interested to know whether anyone has come across a 'stand-alone' air-ride mechanism that can be fitted beneath conventional seats. I can't think why this couldn't be done, but I don't think I've ever seen such a unit.

On the cloth / Ultraleather / leather debate:- I've always liked leather, but we don't have extreme hot or cold temperatures here so it possible I've never experienced the downsides of the material in those conditions. It's worth saying that leather seats can vary tremendously - everything from 'hard and shiney' to 'soft and textured' - but I suppose it's also true that a man-made fabric (eg cloth or Ultraleather) can inevitably be made to have better properties for seating use than the skin of a cow happens to have.

I've never experienced Ultraleather myself, but had always dismissed it as 'yet another' fake leather substitute along the line of horrible PVC-based leatherette or 'leather cloth'. I'm prepared to accept that this is prejudice on my part, and that Ultraleather may be good stuff. Certainly I have been convinced previously of the value of artifical suede (Alcantara etc), so I dare say the technology has moved on from the 1970s

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2009, 04:14:24 AM »

As much as I love the smell and feel of the leather, for driving I am siding on the cloth side.

For one reason, sweating.   Undecided

Maybe leather with cloth inserts, now thats a winning combination.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2009, 06:18:46 AM »

Jermey, you probably have experienced ultraleather and never knew it check out the skirts on the bottom of leather seats or the leather headliners M/B,BMW,Rangerover,Lexus,GM and others all use the materail.
Ultraleather was delveloped in Europe and used there years before us Yanks starting using it    good luck

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2009, 07:40:30 AM »

Belfert,

I have a cloth seat and like it for overall usefullness and comfort. My PO had installed this seat, which was from Minn. I forget the mfr. name, but I can get same for you. I believe they were located in St. Cloud, not sure. This is a professional air ride seat and is the cat's behind.

I would suggest that you decide how you might coordinate with other colors & fabrics in the coach.

I did some searching for this manufacturer and it appears to be Comfort Ride USA who seem to be out of business.  Their price was over $1,000 it appears which is well out of my league.

I have a mishmash of colors in my bus right now.  The driver's seat is some wierd tan color now.  The captain's chair and couch on the driver's side are tan while the original bus seats on the passenger side are a dark gray.  Considering the driver's area is gray fiberglass I will probably go with a gray seat if I have a choice.  I hope to eventually get the bus seats reupholstered to match the couch and captain's chair.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:13 AM »

Quote from: belfert

I did some searching for this manufacturer and it appears to be Comfort Ride USA who seem to be out of business.  Their price was over $1,000 it appears which is well out of my league.

I have a mishmash of colors in my bus right now.  The driver's seat is some wierd tan color now.  The captain's chair and couch on the driver's side are tan while the original bus seats on the passenger side are a dark gray.  Considering the driver's area is gray fiberglass I will probably go with a gray seat if I have a choice.  I hope to eventually get the bus seats reupholstered to match the couch and captain's chair.

Uh Brian wouldn't that weird tan color be called charcoal or burnt now !?! Sorry jest kid'n, couldn't resist!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2009, 03:25:10 PM »

Belfert,

That is the manufacturer you are correct. My seat, the driver's seat that is, is in great shape and if I redo the interior seating this seat will get recovered. My PO was over the top on some things, this being one of them, as I have a reciept for $3,200 for this air ride.
BTW, I would have never paid that much. But it is really great.
It lacks the bidet pedal in BK's Setra, however....

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 09:29:21 PM »

I had the afternoon off today so I went shopping for an air ride seat.  I went to a truck salvage place first, but all they had was a bunch of junk.  The salvage seats were still in the cabs of wrecked trucks in the yard.  The seats were exposed to weather and all in pretty bad shape.  This company probably has more seats at their much larger main location, but it is a 4 hour round trip out there.

I found a takeout National seat with the Back Cycler.  It was priced really good, but the seat cushion is pretty short.  The little usage guide was still attached and it said the seat cushion is supposed to move forward as a standard feature, but it doesn't and the salesman confirmed that it doesn't.  I was prepared to buy it until I realized how short the seat cushion is.  It even had air bolsters on the seat cushion and the back in addition to three lumbar adjustments.

The Ultraleather seat is really the best value, but I would almost prefer cloth I think.  I told one place the price the other place had the same seat for and they said that price would be below normal cost.

Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2009, 06:55:35 AM »

Ultraleather or any vinyl will not breathe like cloth. If you want to avoid sweat & sticky burning spot after long driving…cloth is your choice.
It the easiest to clean. Right after spray upholstery cleaner over a section, than you uses a shop vac hose’s end with garden hose’s sprayer to suck up moisture & foreign dirt or chemicals. The main thing is to first have the vac on before apply fine water spray on so that the vacuum suck the water before it soak too deep to dry. In other word, always move the hose’s end & with garden hose spray nozzle as the leader together quickly (speed is important) with both hands…never backward to avoid soaking. You may want to learn the technique on a removable "carpet type" floor mat first.

The Lord willing...Later I will try to post a picture of the set-up...no picture yet.

You can practically sit on right a way.

The same apply to cleaning carpet.

On page 16 & 17, it shows about Fabriform®

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2009, 07:47:55 AM »

I don't find the ultra leather to be that hot even living in AZ and a lot easier to clean than a cloth seat.
I have had both and like the ultra leather best.
It is your butt ,seats are like ice cream pick you flavor we are not all the same   
good luck   

Live each day like it was your last,one day it will be
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: