Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 08:32:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EEEK, a mouse!!  (Read 5185 times)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 09:36:27 AM »

Yeah, I've had some issues with the city and some asshole anonymous neighbors over the past few years. They started by complaining about my bus, but there was nothing the city could do about it. Eventually, they moved on to my pickup, trailer, backhoe, piles of landscape bricks and rocks, and even my garden compost pile. I told them to go to hell on most of it, and did clean up some of the piles of steel I had from the bus project. The city said they only enforce the codes when someone complains, but state law prevents them from telling me who complained. I told them that selective enforcement was illegal and that if they were going to enforce their codes on me, they had to enforce them on every property in the city. They disagreed. Eventually I took a drive down the street on which the code enforcement officer lived, and compiled a list of houses (28 out of 50) which had code violations of one sort or another. I sent a letter to the city and told them every one of the properties was in violation and that they should consider this a formal complaint and so must now investigate each one and take action. I then called the mayor and told him that since I was unemployed and had a lot of time, that I intended to start driving through the city and noting every property with violations and reporting them on a daily basis. His exact words were, "We'd have to hire 10 code enforcement officers." To which I replied, "Well, if that's what it takes. But I'm not going to stand by while you selectively enforce your laws only on me."  Shortly thereafter, they changed the way you can report violations. Before, you could make an anonymous phone call. Now you have to fill out a form. I figured I could automate that if necessary, but I haven't heard anything from them for a couple years.

I wish that I had not buckled to the first couple complaints and recycled all the steel I had from the bus. When the next few came in, I really wanted to have that steel still so I could build a sculpture for my front lawn!

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:38:28 AM by gumpy » Logged

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »

Thanks guys, nice to hear that I'm not the crazy one....or are we all crazy???

I do have no trespassing\ no soliciting signs up that I put as per the local police who I spoke to regarding the literally dozens of door to door people who leave flyers posted all over my door. I also have a German Shepherd which my neighbor doesn't like so we have signs that say " Dog On Premises" and "Beware of Dog" .
One of the neat things is that while my neighbor hates dogs though she begrudgingly admits that mine is well behaved is that we have a new GSD puppy coming in from Texas in a few weeks so I'll be right at the local city limit of two dogs.

As for the snake idea, my nephews on Texas suggested that I tell her that we're bringing in Texas rat snakes to handle her dreaded mouse troubles. Hehe.......

My other nephew suggests a plastic mouse put into a tripped mouse trap and set it under the fence. I just wanted to set loose a dozen or so mice under the fence as she drove in one day.

I do have a motion sensor mounted with a 500 watt halogen floodlight and can control it from within my house via home automation. I thought of turning the pole slightly as happened once in a wind storm so that the light shines into her bedroom and then "accidentally" leave the light on, then off, then on during the night.

Gee, maybe I am a terrible neighbor!

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 09:49:35 AM »

Don't provoke her. You are the better person.

I do like the idea of letting it be known that you are bringing in some snakes to handle the "mouse problem".  Wink   

I understand they have a glut of pythons loose in FL. Maybe you could import some of them. Wouldn't it be fun to let it be known you were planning to bring in some snakes and
then one day there's a large snake or two laying you your grass just far enough away that you just can't be sure if it's real or not?  Maybe a little monofilament to make it move once
in awhile.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 10:05:10 AM »

http://news.mongabay.com/2005/1005-gator.html

John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »

Geee, thanks Dallas. That is just sick. The only way that I care to handle snakes is with a nice shotgun...

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »

Paladin,

I like the snakes idea... XD 

But, as for your dog limitations...  You might read that law for yourself to see EXACTLY what it states...

In my experience, they can only limit dogs kept OUTSIDE.  They can also selectively enforce "exotic" breeds (to which, most birds belong, as do Ferrets and some cats and dogs...)

But normally, they can't limit the number of INDOOR animals you maintain unless there's an obvious case of neglect.  Like the stories you hear about the old lady with 50 living cats and 150 in the freezer dead....

That's how it is here where I live, and I'm reasonably certain that's how it was in Alpharetta, GA when I lived there, as well as Madison, WI...  Limits to the number of outdoor kept animals, but not indoor.

Read the law carefully to see what it really says, not what the local 'authorities' tell you what it says...  They'll almost always lie because they themselves don't know what it actually says... (Gee, law enforcement without a clue what the law actually says?  Naw, can't be!!!)

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
http://b.logthis.net/toothless
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 11:59:01 AM »

What we should really be doing is making an effort to be better busnut ambassadors. There are enough antagonists out there making our lives harder. It is often more productive to work with the flawed system than to try to fix it all at once.

When I wanted to have a busnut rally at a Palmetto Cove Rally Park, I was told NO. But after I looked into it, I found they could not exclude us if we abided by the park rules. I was put on notice that they would be watching very carefully & they kept reiterating 'the rules'.

We put fourth the effort to pay attention to our actions while being true to who we are. If you have been to this park, you will know why we put forth the extra effort. The result is that we are now welcomed with open arms & the park goes out of it's way to help.
(It turned out that there was one 'bad apple' causing the trouble by spreading lies & half truths . . . .)

Knowing the laws & how to apply them in a favorable light to your life is a good thing, but just because you can force an issue isn't enough reason to do so . . . . .
Think honey vs vinegar.  Cool
Sometimes, the easiest path starts off with more difficulty.  Wink

Lots of people think rats live in the 'abandoned' cars on the neighbor's yard. This is what they want to believe because it places the burden on someone else. I have found the best results by having calm discussions with the county/ city officials - this is where knowing the law & its intent comes in handy.

It has been my experience that it is only a couple of noseybodies that are doing the reporting & the county is less than thrilled to see them walk in. Typically, the officials want the path of least resistance. (Huh, imagine that!)  Shocked

So, if you can 'educate' them to seeing things your way, they will be able to discourage the noseybody making the frivolous reports. Then your life is easier since it is being stopped before you even know about it.  Cool

Good Luck!

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 12:06:19 PM »

Have you invited the neighbors a look at your bus project?  When we first got the 4104, a couple of neighbors were less than enthusiastic.  We took them on a weekend trip to a local state park and never had another problem, even got a little help now and then.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »

Kyle,

Your post just reinforces what I said...  ^.^  Read the laws yourself, make an effort to understand them as they're written (not necessarily as they were originally intended, we all know how THAT usually works out)...  Use them to YOUR advantage in making it difficult for someone to harass you.  Basically, throw the law back at the law enforcers.  It's an effective technique, as long as you can demonstrate that YOU have done your homework and that YOU can read and understand the law.  

It really doesn't take a lawyer to write up a letter quoting the law as long as you've researched it yourself and can at least apply it to your situation adequately.  I've yet to involve a lawyer when it comes to property, I've let the law speak for itself and I've also let the ignorance of the 'enforcement authorities' come to light for their own education...

Yes, I'm highly protective over my property, family, friends and companion animals and I'll fight tooth and nail for them...  And yes, I also make it known that I will, when pushed to a certain point, not back down and will use all the force granted to me by the U.S. Constitution, State Constitution and State / Local laws.  

Around here, the 'officials' know I won't put up with any crap, thus they leave me alone.  Once you have that reputation of being a formidable opponent (on a legal basis), they will usually think twice before trying to pull their crap again.  Louisiana is the only place I've had significant issues and the ONLY place I've threatened "law enforcement officials" with deadly force if provoked.

And no, I was not arrested for that threat (it never got to the point of having to back up the threat)...  I think the reason they backed down was because I quoted Constitutional rights to use force to protect my property and life if necessary to do so.  

I make a GREAT neighbor....  As long as I'm not provoked by nonsensical bullshit!  Wink  If someone has a gripe, they're better off talking to me directly rather than trying to 'sic the law' on me.  I'm much more receptive, reasonable and respectful when someone actually takes the time to TALK to me about something, rather than hiding behind some schmoe with a badge.  It's not easy to provoke me to the point of going to extremes, but it's happened (obviously).  

Oh, on a side note...  When a criminal action takes place, you have the RIGHT to know who your accuser is.  If they can't give you the ability to cross-examine the accuser in court, there is no case...  Something else I had brought up to the 'officials' who harassed me about my bus (this was back when I had my 60 footer, by the way...  Not the current one that burned.)...  I let them know that if I couldn't speak to the person(s) who were 'reporting' me, that there was no case for any criminal complaints as the law guaranteed me the right to face my accuser...  They didn't have a response to that one either. lol...

I'm not a lawyer by any means, but I know how to read a section of code and cross-reference the words as they're used in that section.  Those things alone are extremely valuable assets in your artillery box against idiot enforcement agencies.

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »

Have you invited the neighbors a look at your bus project?  When we first got the 4104, a couple of neighbors were less than enthusiastic.  We took them on a weekend trip to a local state park and never had another problem, even got a little help now and then.

I've never had any complaints from my neighbours, but I am aware that I must aggravate them at times with constant use of power tools etc. My bus 'arrived' in the neighbourhood in 2007, and that Christmas I sent Christmas cards to all my neighbours with the following insert included:

I like to think it contributed something to neighbourhood relations.

Jeremy

PS. I'm not in the habit of giving names to vehicles (other than boats), but a friend of mine suggested that my bus should be called Maggie, and it stuck (it relates to an avatar character on my website called 'Maggie Zene')

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 02:08:10 PM »

Mac,
I'm mainly concerned with the sound of belligerence in your actions, threatening a law officer with deadly force doesn't seem a good idea to me.
You need to remember that you ain't like those who the cops normally deal with, so act accordingly, you know - educated & reasonable, but firm in your convictions (without the hostility) that you ARE a law abiding citizen.

Maybe it's just me, but I've found that addressing an issue with calm logic backed up with references to the law minimized the defenses you have to encounter (they don't escalate into attack mode). This calmness has even won me allies in the county zoning department.  Shocked  Now the complainer is shut down when they try to complain & I don't have to bother with a response.

I'm not always able to stay calm, but when I do, the expense of being right is greatly reduced.  Cool
It always costs me more $$$ & time when I start shouting.  Sad

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I was reasonable first... Polite and all...  But, they escalated...  So, I was forced to escalate as well. 

I wouldn't actually suggest that someone take the same stance that I did, which is why I said to research the specific sections of code that you're accused of violating and escalate as necessary... 

I was forced to become hostile because it became known that the "new neighbor" that had JUST moved in was the one that filed the complaints and just wouldn't quit being an asshole about it.  He had just retired from the very same board of ordinance enforcement that he was complaining to, thus gained favor and priority in his complaints (don't you love how that works?)...

Since their threats escalated to the point of removal of my (legally) owned and parked vehicle, I was forced to take a stronger stance against the tyranny and injustice.  I'm all for trying to resolve peacefully whenever possible, but at the same time, I won't back down when I know I'm in the right and I'll defend myself, my property and my family with any means available to me at the moment. 

They now know that and won't even step onto the property (except in an emergency situation, such as the recent fire)...  But even then, the police themselves wouldn't set foot on the property... At least, not that I observed...  Only the fire personnel would (my father has numerous connections within the fire depts).  Which I'm just fine with.

But, as I said, I wouldn't recommend that someone follow in my footsteps with threatening the police with lethal force unless you're absolutely sure you're going to be the one that comes out on top without a direct confrontation (and even then, you risk being thrown in jail just for the threat). 

I only stated what *I* did, not what someone else should do...  Except for the researching the law yourself, that is. Wink

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 04:28:44 PM »

Kyle, I agree with you here.

Mac, I would be very careful if I were you. You are right, threatening a police officer could get you in major trouble (I don't care how many laws you researched). (Cody we need some of your input here.)

One thing with the government, or inspectors, or code enforcement, YOU will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER win against them, if they decide to fight. I don't care how many laws that there are. THEY will ALWAYS win, whether it be now or later.

I have taken the approach to always get along with the people in government. We have a great relationship with all of the officers, and government officials. Life is so much easier that way. If the code enforcement guys ever have a problem with us, THEY are the ones telling us what little tweaks we can do to get the issue fixed. We aren't pointing out the no trespassing signs etc. 

The only exception to our policy is the appraiser. He is allowed on the front of our property, and that is it.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
cody

« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2009, 04:56:57 PM »

John, I can only address the laws as they apply to Michigan but a threat against a law enforcement officer is a high misdemenor based on the availability of intent, an attempt to carry out the threat is a felony punishable by up to a year in jail, an attempt followed by physical contact, even slight, is a felony punishable by up to 5 years in jail for the first offense with no mitigation.  Availability of intent is based on the physical ability of the person to acrually carry out the threat, a threat of pulling the persons lower lip over the top of their head and then forcing them to swallow would be viewed as being unavailable so would carry none if any weight, a threat of a physical beating or as noted lethal force would be viewed as much more viable and could result in a charge being filed.  We often used these charges as a means of protecting our staff in the performance of their duties, I signed at least 100 different warrents for the this in probably the last 2 years I worked for the state.  I'd recommend the legal system before resorting to self help every time but I do know that at times this is very hard advice to follow. In each instance of charges being files, the burden of proof always falls on the staff enforcing the law but as always the courts seem to favor the officers and the judgement of the officers, that by itself sometimes makes it hard for a citizen to prevail.
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2009, 05:06:46 PM »

If you've posted "No Trespassing" on your property (plainly visible), then not even law enforcement has a leg to stand on if they have no valid reason to be there.  They're "Put On Notice" that you do not wish to be bothered unless it's of dire importance...

Sorry, not true.  Even in the few places where such signs are actually given force of law, and you have the actual sign with the right wording, the government, utility companies and various others are given exemptions in the law which gives those powers in the first place.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:08:22 PM by BG6 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: