Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 28, 2014, 09:42:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing a Four Wheel Drive Toad  (Read 2933 times)
MacGyver

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 06:00:26 PM »

Louisiana and driver's licenses....  Yeah.  I could go on about that one for a while...

I got my driver's license here...  But, I failed the first attempt.  The 'course' consisted of a square track with a few stop signs.  The very last sign they hadn't bothered to trim a hedge that was growing around the sign and obscured it to the point of it being invisible, yet somehow the asshole felt I should have anticipated its existence with no other markings (not even the typical line across the 'street' indicating so)...

The second time through, they'd trimmed the bush and the sign miraculously sprang forth.  I passed, of course....

Now, my motorcycle license was a complete joke.  I'd been riding for years before getting my 'official stamp of approval' from the 'Great State of Louisiana'....

That test consisted of (I kid you not) simply driving the bike around the building without setting your foot on the ground for stability....  It was gravel...  Having ridden dirt bikes up to that point, it was a snap...  But street bikes definitely aren't made for gravel paths. heh...

People here don't know how to drive...  It's worse if it rains, and if there's even a HINT of ice...  DO NOT leave your house.  You WILL get creamed by someone.  I'm used to driving on ice and snow (being from Minnesota), but I refuse to drive if there's a single snowflake in the air here.  It just isn't worth it. 

I was nearly broadsided several times in the course of a single hour when the last freeze hit, which was VERY mild in comparison to some I've seen here...  When I got home I refused to leave the house again until the streets were 100% clear of all ice.  These people are simply insane.

-Mac

1953 Flxible Visicoach
http://b.logthis.net/toothless
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 06:58:56 PM »

Mac,

I forgot about ice.  I remember people abandoning their vehicles in the middle of overpasses if they got a rare flurry of snow.  Sorry, this is way off topic.

I have a Jeep Cherokee.  I put the transfer case neutral.  I have done both putting the transmission in park and neutral with no apparent problem.  I liked neutral because I did not have to leave the key in the car to unlock the steering wheel.  I do not have the owner's manual though and should see what it says.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 09:02:27 PM »

Lin, it will depend on what year your jeep is and what type of 4 wheel drive system you have. I have an 87 Wagoneer, (not the Grand Wagoneer), with Command Trac, and the procedure is a little different than ones with the SelecTrac system. You really need to get the right book for your jeep.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Fredward

MC-5A #5401 8" roof raise 8V71 with MT647

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »

OK I see where this is heading. I'm leaving the Pathfinder at home and putting my F350 Powerstroke on back. Craig, could you help me rig up remote control from the bus to the Ford? I'll just rev up the 'stroker when I'm slowing down up the hills.. If Nick's Hummer can help imagine what my pickup might do? !!  Grin

(Thanks for the quick replies guys!!)

Fred Thomson
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 04:29:32 AM »

I have a Jeep Cherokee.  I put the transfer case neutral.  I have done both putting the transmission in park and neutral with no apparent problem.  I liked neutral because I did not have to leave the key in the car to unlock the steering wheel.  I do not have the owner's manual though and should see what it says.

The owners manual for our '95 Grand Cherokee says "transfer case in neutral, transmission in park".  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
cody

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »

Our jeep says the same thing and so does our dodge truck.  As far as motorcycle courses here go, jamie just got her motorcycle endorsement for her drivers license, the course is set up for very small street bikes, I made her take the 4 day class at the harley dealer so she was exempted and didn't have to do the skills test (road test) but I found out that our harley wouldn't make the corners even if it were walked thru, the corners are too tight and one of the requirements is to do a figure 8 in a square box shaped area, again, the bike wouldn't turn the corner that tight, just wouldn't make it, most people take the skills test on nothing bigger than a 250 and most on a moped.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 05:48:47 AM »

We have some friends that have a Jeep Liberty, when it was new he hooked it up like he thought it should be, rather than looking in the owners manual. Ended up costing him $4000 for a new tranny.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 06:46:19 AM »

OK I see where this is heading. I'm leaving the Pathfinder at home and putting my F350 Powerstroke on back. Craig, could you help me rig up remote control from the bus to the Ford? I'll just rev up the 'stroker when I'm slowing down up the hills.. If Nick's Hummer can help imagine what my pickup might do? !!  Grin

(Thanks for the quick replies guys!!)

We can come up with something. You want wireless?

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 06:50:06 AM »

The owners manual for our '95 Grand Cherokee says "transfer case in neutral, transmission in park".  Jack

I'm changing my answer....  I'd read the manual and do what it says. 

I don't know what you do if your manual doesn't say.

I still like Ford's neutral transfer switch.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 09:21:02 AM »

If the manual doesn't say, the safe assumption would be that it isn't flat towable without further modifications, mainly due to lubrication issues.

For example;
In most manual transmissions, the oil level is below the main shaft & the cluster gear is submerged. When the cluster gear is turning, it is splashing/slinging oil all over the place & it ends up lubricating the necessary parts on its way back to the bottom.
If the input shaft isn't turning, the cluster gear isn't & that means all the other gears aren't turning either. Since the output (main) shaft is turning, the plain bearings between the gears & the main shaft need lubrication.

In automatic transmissions, the oil is pumped & the pump is usually driven from the input shaft.

This is why simply leaving a transmission in neutral isn't necessarily a good idea.

4x4 transfer cases work differently & as a result, some can get sufficient lubrication from the spinning out put shaft. But, not all can & that is where the owners manual comes in handy.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 08:47:20 PM »

What Kyle said.

I have a 956 Ranger 5 speed manual with electric select 4X4, Hi Low.  To tow I will need to get a "chip" from the Ford dealer.  The chip allows me to get it to go onto N by manipulating the select sw.  Or so I am told by people that should know.  I might go over and pick up the chip tomorrow.

A stick that will destroy the transfer case without a mod!!!!!

HTH,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
bobsw

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 09:59:09 PM »

I nocked o ut the park on my trans on my 98 jeep by forgetting to put in nutural. Now if I put it in park it will roll just as if it were in Nutural.

73 MCI-7
Eagle

1985 Eagle

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2009, 04:32:20 AM »

I don't know what you do but I do know what you should do.

READ THE OWNERS MANUAL AND DO AS IT RECOMENDS PERIOD.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: