Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 19, 2014, 10:03:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It arrives at least two weeks before the First Class printed magazine.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shaver tool  (Read 2593 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »

After speaking to the salesman at FSI (from an ad in BCM), it would appear that the rivits Ill be using to match the existing skin rivits are shaver head bulb type. My question is has anyone fnished these without the $185 shaver tool ? Ill only be using this style where the new skin is not covered by molding and it obviously dosent make sence to spend that much money to finish $30. worth of rivits. I did read 1 account were some success was achieved with a dremal tool and a grinder. Anyone else have any experiance ?

Also, is this tool the same as what id need  (ebay item # 400060452174 ). I could almost justify 50 or 60 scoots if it saved me time and or energy. Anyone have a tool they'd like to sell or loan ?

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 01:54:26 PM »

I have not used shave head rivits, but, I have heard of people using a Dremel tool to finish the heads when they only had a few to do.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »

We use these in our shop, and while the shaver tool does a nice job, it is not worth buying for your limited use, as you were saying. A decent job can be done by cutting the remainer of the mandrel with a [nice  pair of side cutters/diagonals, then touching the remainder of the mandrel with a 2" sanding disk (grit of your choice) and/or the same 2" disk with a scotchbright type pad on it. Usually, the sanding disk works well enough. Try a few in a piece of scrap material first to get the hang of it.

Should be no problem.
Skykingrob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 05:55:07 PM »

Traveling
I had to replace 3 ss lower baggage panels on my baydoors. The high polish rivets I used allowed the mandrels to come out about an 1/8" when pulled fully tight. I tried several things to make the mandrels smooth, because like you, I didn't want to spend $185 for 24 rivets. What worked best for me was a 4 1/2" angle grinder with a 1/8" cutting disk and just very lightly, slowly working the mandrel off. I had to grind out and replace 3 of the rivets due to marring them until I finally figured out how to do it slowly enough to keep from marring the rivets high polish. Like was said above, practice first and you likely won't have to redo any.

HTH

Rob
91 Prevost LeMirage XL
Missouri
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:18 PM »

I am pretty sure that Ebay tool is for removing rivets, not the type of shaving you want to do.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
4104GA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 07:19:08 PM »

I found that it is easy to cut the stem off and then dress it down with a good file. the cheap way to go. HTH

Enjoy your ride
Airbag

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 08:26:17 PM »

Here is real micro stop rivet shaver for $31.00. Dotco is one of the best. These tools can be set to a thousandth of an inch and have perfect repeatability. They use a carbide cutter. I have shaved thousands of rivets with one of these. OK here goes, go ahead and make fun "in the airplane business"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dotco-20000-RPM-Pneumatic-Micro-Aircraft-Rivet-Shaver_W0QQitemZ300327771458QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090706?IMSfp=TL090706199008r9074
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 09:10:42 PM »

Here is real micro stop rivet shaver for $31.00. Dotco is one of the best. These tools can be set to a thousandth of an inch and have perfect repeatability. They use a carbide cutter. I have shaved thousands of rivets with one of these. OK here goes, go ahead and make fun "in the airplane business"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dotco-20000-RPM-Pneumatic-Micro-Aircraft-Rivet-Shaver_W0QQitemZ300327771458QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090706?IMSfp=TL090706199008r9074

Isn't this one also for removing rivets, not creating a curved surface on a rivet head?  Notice the cutters are flat on the end.  So far as I know only Olympia makes the proper tool for shaving Bulb-tite rivets.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:59:57 PM »

Brian,I have a Sioux shave head tool I don't think Olympia is the only manufacture of shave head tools. The 185 bucks is not a bad price I gave a lot more than that for my Sioux     good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
pipes
Tug boat dude.

I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »

Isn't a MICROSTOP an adjustable tool to countersink aluminum to fit the rivits that you are using!
PS After the holes are drilled.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:22:23 PM by pipes » Logged

Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.
Airbag

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »

Isn't a MICROSTOP an adjustable tool to countersink aluminum to fit the rivits that you are using!
PS After the holes are drilled.

A microstop is a depth controlling device that is found on a number of tools. Yes they are used in countersinking cages. When I was doing skin work on airliners I would have six or eight drill motors set out with different cages, drills and reamers for different diameter rivets and Hi-Loks.

Hi-Loks are great for that hole that goes through a stack of parts that a rivet just won't pull up.

http://www.hi-shear.com/fastener_hl_stds.htm 
Airbag

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 10:47:21 PM »

Isn't this one also for removing rivets, not creating a curved surface on a rivet head?  Notice the cutters are flat on the end.  So far as I know only Olympia makes the proper tool for shaving Bulb-tite rivets.

I am ignorant when it comes to bus rivets but these shavers can be used for shaving the stems on Cherry rivets and I do know Cherry rivets are called out in my MC-5A manual. I have never heard of using a shaver for removing rivets.

I make a rivet shank removal tool that is sold in the Aircraft Spruce catalog. It is primarily used for small diameter rivets after you have drilled the heads off. Probably useless for a bus.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/rivet.php
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 06:14:50 AM »

The Dotco is a true rivet shaver, not for finishing new shave head rivets........those cutters supplied are straight cut and will shave the head completely for removal.......and actually that is a great price...the head is 3/4" which is rather large and depends on the diameter of the head you are using.  The cutter on the shaver should be concave, all you shave is the remainder of the shank and it leaves a nice smooth finish.....If I remember correctly and can find the source i found a shaver much cheaper else where.....that price from FSI is "high".........I went else where let me find my source.....!

Pat

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 06:34:14 AM »

To get a polished and smooth finish on the rivets you need a shaver in the 20,000 + rpm range and they are expensive for a good one, found this out after buying the type you use on a drill.     good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
muddog16
Example is more powerful than reproach. ~Aesop

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 06:46:45 AM »

I was wrong.........imagine that....... Roll Eyes after searching for that source......the first price quoted to me was 275 bucks.........i ended up paying 180 elsewhere........and it works like a charm and leaves a nice smooth paintable or non painted surface.    Its just another tool for the tool box........!  I think i see rivets in my sleep........I hate stainless rivet removal..........but the tools are cheap.......a nice sharp chisel and a 3lb hammer.   Oh yeah, gloves too!  Purple marks afterwards are priceless!

Pat

1982 Prevost LeMirage
8V92TA/HT754

http://prevostlemirage.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: