Bus Conversion Magazine Bulletin Board
December 10, 2017, 11:58:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at (657) 221-0432 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Battery Door  (Read 2436 times)
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2009, 07:20:57 PM »

So, I was working on the inside of the bus and the wife's cousin wanted to know about disconnecting things before welding on the bus.  I opened the Battery Door, showed him the collection of fuses and the Vanner then we both went about my business.

I few minutes later there was a disturbing crash sound.  One guess what was laying on the driveway, having torn through the rubber hinge!

The funny part was a week or so ago I read a blurb about replacing the hinge before it fails but lost track of it's location.  Made me wonder how 'lucky' I was considering the miles I put on the critter just recently to have it fail at home while parked!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:30:08 PM by MattC » Logged

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »

Sorry about the door Matt. I know that is a bummer.

About the welding. You have to disconnect (maybe not have too, but only if you like to be safe, and not spend thousands), that batteries, engine computer (if you have it) and tranny computer (if you have it). If not, you risk a lot.

God bless,

John

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 07:55:27 PM »

Yes John, there are six fuses in the battery box to disconnect.  My door still has the decal with warnings and diagrams, so I'm squared away there.

As someone who doesn't believe in luck, I thought the door falling off was rather funny.  Sorta a subtle way to go ahead and replace the hinge.  LoL 

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
Airbag

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »

I've heard they like to come off while zinging down the interstate. Murphy just gave you one and that piano over your head just got bumped up a notch.  Grin
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 10:35:20 PM »

I have a portable welding truck and if I unhooked the batteries and such on it every time I welded I'd go crazy. My truck has never given me any problems and I weld off of it constantly. Now wouldn't that be a problem? I have yet to encounter any problems in my 30+ years of welding with such fairy tales. Hey guys.... I'm welding on ag equipment worth a quarter of a million $$$ with gps and computers and all kinds of stuff.  And to think by disconnecting a battery cable I'll keep from frying something. Now to be honest with you if the vehicle has a quick disconnect switch I'll throw it but other than that I've never wasted my time. And for those of you countering my statement..... back it up. Not from something you heard from your cousin's wife's best friend's brother that read about it on a forum. Sorry if someone disagrees with me but I really have more experience at this than anyone else here. Later   

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »

OOPS! I forgot that losing your battery door in the driveway is as lucky as it gets!!! Smiley I'm wondering how many peeps stopped for a fuel break to see that their cover was gone! You gotta admit a thumbs up on this one!! Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
Airbag

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:20:29 PM »

I have a portable welding truck and if I unhooked the batteries and such on it every time I welded I'd go crazy. My truck has never given me any problems and I weld off of it constantly. Now wouldn't that be a problem? I have yet to encounter any problems in my 30+ years of welding with such fairy tales. Hey guys.... I'm welding on ag equipment worth a quarter of a million $$$ with gps and computers and all kinds of stuff.  And to think by disconnecting a battery cable I'll keep from frying something. Now to be honest with you if the vehicle has a quick disconnect switch I'll throw it but other than that I've never wasted my time. And for those of you countering my statement..... back it up. Not from something you heard from your cousin's wife's best friend's brother that read about it on a forum. Sorry if someone disagrees with me but I really have more experience at this than anyone else here. Later  

What I have heard not from my wife's cousin and no I have nothing to back it up is: It is the EMF and the proximity to the welder that can cause problems and not so much stray voltage. I usually remove any radios from aircraft that I weld on with my T.I.G. Maybe I have been over cautious but these aircraft nav and com systems costs like a bad habit and their owners just love coming back with blame if any problems occur my fault or not. It has never harmed my cell phone that I have had on my belt while welding so maybe your right Scott.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 11:23:54 PM by Airbag » Logged
niles500
Niles500

ROSIE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »

If people are following the MFG instructions and disconnecting the electronics prior to welding I would not expect to find too many occurrences of fried components - Inversely people who do not follow instructions and end up frying their electronic components rarely fess up to it - FWIW

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 04:11:55 AM »

It'd be worth checking the hinges on the other doors too, as they're all likely to be in the same condition.

Whilst on the subject, is there anything that can be done to stop rubber hinges squeaking?

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 05:52:18 AM »

My bus has very prominent warnings against welding without disconnecting the DDEC, WTEC, and Vanner.  I disconnect everything as recommended before welding.

I may very well get by without it, but I prefer not spend $1,000 or more on a replacement DDEC or WTEC.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 06:14:30 AM »

Belfert,

I came to the same conclusion. I don't want to even have the possibility of wasting money, so I disconnect per the manufactures recommendation. I would probably be fine, but I am not risking it.

God bless,

John

Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »

Losing a bay door also happens to Eagles! I went out last summer to continue my paint prep, low and behold the third bay door from the front on the driver side was hanging by the brace. Evidently I didn't even have the over center latch closed, otherwise it might have held it up. I'm glad it let loose, cause from what I saw my eyes were bugged like a pekingese. I can't imagine what would happen on the road. Shocked

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
gus

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2009, 09:13:54 PM »

Rick,

Surprisingly, the doors will not fall off when closed and latched. They are securely in place through any calamities you can imagine.

When open they are supported by the brace and the rubber hinge.

When closed the rubber hinge does nothing but keep out the rain!

At least this is the way GMCs work and I assume others as well. Makes sense not to depend on the rubber hinge while under way.

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 06:40:23 AM »

My battery door on my Dina works like Gus said.  It should not come out if the rubber hinge lets go while it is latched.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: