Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 09:35:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ULS Diesel and oil changes???  (Read 1932 times)
jackhartjr

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »

Howdy everybody.
I asked this back when the Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel was a new thing and got no clear cut answers.
I thought I would ask again...here goes;
Because it is the sulphuric acid that is a by-product of sulphur in the fuel...will we be able to change the oil less often because of the lowered sulphur content?
Thanks in advance!
JAck

Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 08:39:16 AM »

In a word-yes. But to get the definitive answer, you should be getting oil samples analyzed as to when you should really be changing your oil.  I once went 2 1/2 years between oil changes.  If you don't want to get oil sampling done, just change your oil once a year.

The new Detroit DD engines are so clean burning that on highway oil changes are at 50,000 miles.  Next year with the Urea exhaust injection and pulling back on EGR programming, oil changes will most likely go to 60,000 miles.  Now that's a huge way to save money.

But on our 2 stroke engines, I would go no more then 10,000 miles, or once a year.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:42:39 AM »

Jack, low sulphur fuel # 1 has always been the choice of DD for the 2 strokes, at one time they had a 100,000 mile oil change but it had a lot of strings attached like taking it to a dealer every 15,000 miles for the service with a special oil filter.

Cost them to many engines now they recommend no more than 20,000 miles for a two stroke.

The TBN is the most important # in a oil sample and that changes with fuel and the type oil.

I have had to up the ash content to 1.31 in the oil on some of the equipment I owned over the years to get the TBN number right because of the type fuel I was using now you know why I don't buy into the below 1% ash deal all the time.
Never had a oil related engine failure on a 2 stroke 53, 71,92 or 149 series by following Stewart and Stevenson advice over the years.     good luck 

Life is short drink the good wine first
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 04:32:38 PM »

Not to hi-jack, but TomC,

Where does one find the urea to refill the supply for the new truck engines or the new MB coming out? Will this be available at truck stops and diesel pumps? Been looking at this as it nears rollout.

Gary

Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 04:46:23 PM »

I don't know about the trucks but on the new M/B it will be a dealer item under EPA regulations  good luck
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:48:18 PM by luvrbus » Logged

jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 05:13:43 PM »

They are still working this out.
It will definaltely be at truck stops and they are trying to figure out the size(s) of the container(s) they will be using.
The idea is to allow the driver to grab a container of it, hook it up and roll.

Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 05:22:23 PM »

Good subject; where do you guys buy your oil sample kit?

Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
jackhartjr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 05:55:40 PM »

Let me state that the reason I asked the question was not because I am cheap, (I AM!) but I am just curious about the subject.  I wasn't asking just to prolong the oil changes, just curious about the effect the ULSD has on the engine.
Jack

Jack Hart, CDS
8V71 Detroit
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 06:26:05 PM »

Dennis, your local Cat dealer is the best bet for sample kits and the testing      good luck

bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 06:53:25 PM »

In Canada an outfit called Metro Tech Systems in Calgary does a lot of oil patch work.  A guy who used to own an Allied Van Lines franchise put me onto them.  Actually he did more than put me onto them.  He wouldn't let me go pick up my bus until I had pulled a sample and sent it to them.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2009, 05:58:30 AM »

Dennis,

You can also source the testing kit from NAPA. I just did mine recently. That is done in a lab in Atlanta or Gastonia, NC. About $ 15. but that is a 3 week old rememberance. Not so good. I cannot lay my hands on that invoice either, but it is here some where.

Gary

Ocean City, NJ
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2009, 07:45:40 AM »

Dennis, the kits are 20 bucks at a Cat dealer with pump, hoses, bottles and lables takes about a 7 days or less turn around if the dealer dosen't have a lab onsite.        good luck

TomC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »

As to the Urea availability- it will be available in 1, 2, 5 gallon totes; 55 gal drum; 275 gal bulk tanks with nozzle at first.  Eventually you'll see the fueling stations with an additional nozzle/pump.  The nozzle will be much smaller on the Urea in the hopes that Diesel and Urea are not mixed.  With the smaller nozzle and tank opening for the Urea tank (which will be made of plastic since steel would rust and Urea reacts with aluminum) will be small enough so that a Diesel nozzle will not be able to be inserted into the Urea tank.  It all sounds very complicated, but in actual operation, is a simple ratio between burning Diesel to Urea injection (about a 1-2% burn of Urea to Diesel fuel). 
I'm personally looking forward to this system-finally have a Diesel engine that will be as clean burning as any other non Diesel engine.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Jeremy

1987 Bedford Plaxton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009, 09:14:44 AM »

It won't help you much, but this website shows all the trucks stops in Europe with Urea (Adblue) dispensers:

http://www.adblue4you.com/search/

This is a dispenser (complete with large tank in this case):

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.
Hi yo silver

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 05:41:14 PM »

Thanks, Guys!  I'm on it!

Dennis

Blue Ridge Mountains of VA   Hi Yo Silver! MC9
Gary '79 5C

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009, 06:21:04 PM »

Thanks Jeremy,
That will be the look here soon.

The new MB blu tec diesel comes with run flat tires, and the urea tank is in the trunk tire recess. I do not know where the filler is accessable, or if you picka da rug and add the urea.
It will be some time before I spring for the BluTec, but interesting technology. I am waiting for the 4 cyl diesel avail in Europe from MB. I am saving my pesos now. Heck we may be using that for currency by then...But that is another thread.

Ocean City, NJ
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009, 06:28:05 PM »

Bob,

How did you pull your sample? Is it possible to suck it up though the dip stick without contamination?

John
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: