Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 02:12:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RV window installation  (Read 4077 times)
bergdoll

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2006, 01:20:39 PM »

does anyone have an installation guide/manual for RV window installation? i know it shouldn't be all that difficult but, i got my Hehr dual pane windows for free & no installation guide...anything should help. also i am looking to get rid of 1 RV window for maybe a trade or $, it's a Hehr 35 3/4" X 53 3/4" Inner Diameter (opening), slider w/screen in like new condition. i just want something a little smaller. i need a tow bar for a PT cruiser (any suggestions on tow bars?
i got a long way to go, and a short time to get there...
                                                        bobbybergdoll@yahoo.com

1982 Prevost Champion/Marathon under construction...
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 03:27:44 PM »

I'm not overly familiar with Hehr, but I imagine they're pretty much the same as the Storm Tites I have. Outer window with flange, and inner clamp ring.

You need to have your inner walls covered to final thickness, and the windows must have been made for that thickness, or you may have problems. So, assuming they are the proper thickness, I suggest you measure and cut the openings in the inner plywood BEFORE installing. Much easier.

Measure twice, cut once...

Measure the opening and lay it out on the inside of the skin. Draw the proper radius for the corners. Measuer again. Verify you have it where you want it, and it's the right size.

Take a small drill bit (> 1/8") and from the inside, drill consecutive holes around the corner radius. You don't need to drill the edges, just make sure your last holes around the corners are on the straight edges. Go outside and connect the dots. Now, cut the hole with a sharp jigsaw blade.

Test fit. The window should fit with about 1/8" all around the opening, and the flange should fit flat to the siding all around the opening.

Clean the flange and opening well with mineral spirits or alcohol.

Apply a healthy bead of butyl rubber caulking to the siding where the flange will contact.

Insert window in opening. shim with small pieces of wood or aluminum to make final position in opening. Have someone hold it in place while you install clamp ring on the inside. Screw ring on loosely until all screws are in place, then go around the ring 3 or 4 times tightening the screws til they are snug on each pass and eventually all tight. Don't overtighten screws.

If you want to insulate, spray a non- or minimally expanding foam in around the window prior to installation of clamp ring. Allow sufficient time for full expansion prior to installing ring.

OK, that's installation in a nutshell according to Gumpy (as if he knows anything about it).

Feel free to throw stones, just make sure you aim them at Bobby's windows, not at me...

Oh, if you windows don't have clamp rings, then do everything above, except instead of screwing on the ring, drill holes through the flanges from the outside, and either screw or rivet in place. Trim the interior to the window.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 04:17:51 PM »

Here is another way to do the opening. The corners should be a 3" radius. measure the hiegth and width of the window opening and layout on the bus. Measure in 3"  from the lines you drew in the first step in each corner.  Drill a 1/8" pilot hole then drill each corner with a 6" hole saw. Saw between the 4 holes you cut and if you measured correctly you should have a perfectly shaped hole for the window to fit in.  Attach window as Craig described.  Jack
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 04:20:25 PM by JackConrad » Logged

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
belfert

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 04:43:14 PM »

Here is another way to do the opening. The corners should be a 3" radius. measure the hiegth and width of the window opening and layout on the bus. Measure in 3"  from the lines you

Hehr makes lots of different windows.  Some are a 4" radius corner.  My Dina windows are by Hehr and they are 4" radius.

Brian Elfert
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:03:58 PM »

I think Gumpy means butly rubber tape, it would be eaiser to work with on the side of an Bus. It is available at RV places, make sure you get butyl rubber and not putty tape.
                                                                                       Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
danielmeguel/1974 MCI

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 08:59:26 PM »

[does anybody have website address for hehr windows?
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 04:53:51 AM »

I think Gumpy means butly rubber tape, it would be eaiser to work with on the side of an Bus. It is available at RV places, make sure you get butyl rubber and not putty tape.
                                                                                       Work?/Play safely Jim

Actually, I was thinking caulking when I wrote that, but I guess I wouldn't necessarily pick one over the other. I've used both, but find the tape is harder to find. I've had very good luck with caulk, though it's very messy. My solution is a putty knife and a plastic grocery bag used as
a glove. Scrape the majority of the excess off with the knife, and clean it off in the plastic bag. Then, using mineral spirits and several clean rags, clean the residue around the edge and on the frame.

If you can find the butyl tape, that might be easier to work with, but does not fill voids and seams as well as the caulk (may not be an issue for you, it was for me).

I DO NOT recommend using polyurethane caulk. It does a great job of sealing, but if you ever need to take the windows out, it's nearly impossible to get them out. (Not completely impossible, but don't ask how I know that  Wink )

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: