Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 21, 2014, 08:30:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Genset mocked up...  (Read 932 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:28:23 PM »

I needed a break from the fustration of the door project...Lots of broken bolts amd stripped threads and heavy door falling on foot and...well, you know. So I thought Id move to the back for a change of scenery. I pulled the ac compressor out today, fabed up some brackets and got the genorator mocked up. It fits in the area perfectly with plenty of clearence between the outer walls and the DD. There's also plenty of room to get between the engine and the gen to service/change the oil on the gen. Back to work tommarrow for a few days, but the big brown truck should be dropping off my rivits thursday, so hopefully, we can get a jump on finishing the skin this week.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »

Where's your engine room floor?   I thought all NJTs had engine room floors? 
Be interesting to see what the noise level of that genset is like?  Cannot be any noisier than my Yamaha diesel!   Roll Eyes
How does the generator start?  Thru the generator head? 
Do you plan on using aircraft quality fuel lines?  I highly recommend such if that unit is gasoline powered.
The unit isn't designed to be installed in an enclosed area.  It'll need a good bit of cooling air if you use it while the chassis engine is running.  The engine room will operate at about 180-200 degrees.  That's probably outside the norm for both the engine and generator head. 
If you have enough 'amp headroom,' you could install an AC fan to supply outside air ducted to the engine and generator inlets. 
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:57:28 AM »

Jr,
I was looking at a few ideas to add more fresh air. 1 idea I had was to install a few "fresh air " marine type scoops on the door just in front of the genset. I also looked at the possability of some type of fan. Plenty of room in the compartment area. I've also considered replacing the fiberglass floor just in front of the unit with some sort of heavy mesh / screen. 99% of the time, the gen will only run when Im going down the road.

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 02:39:34 AM »

Our engine compartment temp runs about 130-160 depending on ambient temps (8V71 & Allison 740). Hottest I have seen was 170 climbing a hill coming out of Birmingham, AL with an ambient temp of 103. Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 05:02:23 AM »

Jack,

That seems pretty cool to me. I know that we have a four stroke, but our engine runs 180, dead of winter 190 dead of summer. It gets hot back there.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 07:34:51 AM »

The 130-160 temps are ambient air temps in the engine compartment, not engine coolant temps.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 07:40:01 AM »

Jack,

That makes sense. Thanks.

How's the trip going?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: