Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 17, 2014, 10:44:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: rv heater system question. Is this thing any good?  (Read 2754 times)
zubzub

'53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2009, 05:14:01 AM »

Have this heater built into the cabin of the bus.  Has a vent out through the wall, I know nothing about RV furnaces, can anyone tell me about it?

boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 07:26:29 AM »

Don't know anything about your particular heater BUT as long as it works, makes enough heat for you, AND the burner box is not rusted and is hole-free & sealed, use it!!
It looks good in the photo...

This kind of construction is very common, but when the burner chamber gets rusty and a hole shows up in it, you can get killed by the CO that escapes thru the hole.  Unfortunately probably the most  common cause of heater-related death, holes in the burner box or flue.

The answer is to periodically inspect the heater, and absolutely install at least at least one (perhaps more if you're like me and don't trust your life to one doodah) CO detector.  At least one should be in the bedroom at the same height and as near as possible to where your head is when you sleep.

Then I think you're fine with this heater.  Mine is very similar and I never worry about it.

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »

Looks to be in decent shape.  Terralab engineers is not the manufacturer, they are a testing lab that certifies equipment.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 04:04:35 PM »

Suburban Heater.

I have one similar and they work just fine.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:43:09 PM »

Generally, you can figure that they are about 75% efficient. Since the ratings(BTUs) are the fuel input, you should assume that you will only get 3/4 of the rating in BTUs into your bus.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: