Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 21, 2014, 08:31:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How long should batteries last? friend mentioned deep cycle.....  (Read 1684 times)
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:35:32 PM »

a friend mentioned something about how if you spend more on batteries and get good deep cycle ones, they should last 5+ yrs, without worry, i am really confused on what to look for, exactly , when buying batteries that are dependable..............

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:02:16 PM »

Starting batteries wise, I took out the 2-8D batteries and replaced them with much more managable size 31 Trojan 1000cca batteries.  They have cranked the 8V-71N just fine, but can get a little help from the deep cycle batteries with the cross over solenoid if needed.
But I do have 2-8D AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) sealed batteries for my deep cycles.  These batteries were originally made for the air force and the fighter jets that do crazy maneuvers, upside down, etc and not have a leaking battery.  The AGM's can operate in any position (they prefer if you don't operate them upside down because of possible venting, but they will work) so you could even mount them on their sides or stand them up on end for space.  They are expensive ($260 apiece), but are also more powerful than the standard wet 8D.  Most wet 8D's are about 220 amp hours, the AGM's are 255 amp hours. 
From my truck driving days, I always put in the best batteries, and yes you should be able to get 5 years out of your quality batteries.  Some like to buy the El Cheapo ones from Wal Mart and just replace them every 2 years.  Nothing wrong with that if you don't mind having to water them all the time.  Lots of opinions on batteries.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:12:47 PM »

i would rather spend more, have them last longer and not have to mess with..............i am still a girl , and i want the less upkeep the better ;o) so any recomendations on a specific dealer or store for the better quality batteries?  thanx for your post!

Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:17:41 PM »

Kbunny I'm still try'n to get ahold of my buddy out there in Castle Rock, If I ever get ahold of him and put the 2 of you in touch he'll be an encyclopedia of information and contacts for you! I'll try call'n him again in the AM! BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 10:19:14 PM »

Wink  Thanx BK!!!

Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 10:06:52 AM »

My bus batts have always lasted about 3 years. I found this and it really works www.batterylifesaver.com
 I rejuvinated a 2001 lawnmower batt with this that had been sitting dead for a year.
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 10:09:14 AM »

Deep cycle is what you need for house charging up and running down, You need regular CCA starting batteries for you bus cranking.
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 10:16:40 AM »

Kbunny I'm still try'n to get ahold of my buddy out there in Castle Rock, If I ever get ahold of him and put the 2 of you in touch he'll be an encyclopedia of information and contacts for you! I'll try call'n him again in the AM! BK Grin

Hey Kbunnystar,

Mark finally got back with me while I was gone on a trip! But he did left me a e-mail on his recommendation if you still need it here it is! BK Grin

"Hi Bryce,
    Can't a person go on vacation?
    Seriously, I did try to call you but you didn't answer your phone.
    The only shop around here I would take a vehicle for a check out would be Kent's Custom Diesel, 161 Industrial Way, Longview, WA, 360-575-8884.
    Not only do they have some experience with buses but they have staff that really know 2-cycle DD's.  They understand why you need to use the copper washers and not the steel and why you need to put new ones in each time.
    I hope this helps.
    Take care.
Mark O."

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 01:43:15 PM »

Thanx for the number and contact.  It has been a few weeks since ive been on here, gotta get packed up nd out of here by the 31st of this month.  I will try to reach your friend and see if he is available on my drive south, to take a gander at the bus.  I appreciate a recomendation of someone, its hard to know who to trust and who isnt gonna take advantage.........  THANX Grin Grin Grin Wink

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 03:57:27 PM »

Since you're new to this, I'd recommend buying golf cart batteries from Sams or Walmart. They have a decent warranty, and for the price, they'll be a good place to start and learn with. If you learn fast, you'll get 5 years out of them. If you learn slow, you'll get 3 or less.

It's all about how you take care of them. You'll need a good charger/inverter to connect to them, and you'll need to water and equalize them periodically.

I suggest you buy the two 12v books by David Smead of Ample Power (www.amplepower.com).

If you're really confident, then I'd suggest you buy Trojan T105s. With proper care, they'll last you 7-10 years.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 06:18:27 PM »

Cheesy  thank you so much for ht elead ont hose 2 books!!!!!  it doesnt look like you can get them off the site, but i will hunt them down! 

gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 05:07:55 AM »

They're both available from Amazon.com, though it looks like one of them (Living on 12 volts...) is selling used for $45! Wiring 12 volts...  is $16.49.

I know where there's a copy of the Living on 12 volts... for abotu $25. Email me direct and I'll send you the information. If I list it here, someone else might get to it before you.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Busted Knuckle

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 12:06:41 PM »

They're both available from Amazon.com, though it looks like one of them (Living on 12 volts...) is selling used for $45! Wiring 12 volts...  is $16.49.
I know where there's a copy of the Living on 12 volts... for abotu $25. Email me direct and I'll send you the information. If I list it here, someone else might get to it before you.

Gumpy, I would not !!!
But where??? Pleazzzze ! Just kidding, but if no one else takes it I'd be interested in it! BK Grin

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: