Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 08:17:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canadian Nuts  (Read 946 times)
TexasBorderDude
Founder - Texas Curmudgeon Society

Nothing simple is ever easy...

Ignore
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »

Does anyone know the length restrictions on rv's-trailers going into Canada at the port of entry or on the highways?  My Eagle is 40' and almost 75' total with the trailer.  Thanks...

dg

A curmudgeon's reputation for malevolence is undeserved. They're neither warped nor evil at heart. They don't hate mankind, just mankind's absurdities. They're just as sensitive and soft-hearted as the next guy, but they hide their vulnerability beneath a crust of misanthropy.
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:57:10 PM »

Hi Doyle,
This is all I could find for BC. Where are you heading?

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicle_inspections/PDF/MV3230.pdf

Hope it helps. ....Tim

And another piece of info....

Vehicle Towing Regulations: When a vehicle or trailer weighing 1,400 kilograms (3,087 pounds) or more is towed behind a recreational vehicle, the towed vehicle must be outfitted with functional braking and emergency breakaway devices which apply the brakes at the end of the axles. Additionally, one or more safety chains that can hold the weight of the towed vehicle must be attached. A towed recreational vehicle must not exceed 12.5 meters (41 feet) in length. The maximum combined length for a recreational vehicle and trailer is 20 metres (65.6 feet).

More information:
 ICBC Compliance Operations
P. O. BOX 3750
Victoria, BC V8W 3Y5
Tel: (250) 414-7900
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:14:44 PM by Timkar » Logged

Cawston, British Columbia
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:58:12 PM »

It varies by province Doyle but they are all around 75' or under.  They absolutely won't care at the border and you don't have to stop at the scales.  Somebody may chime in with the laws about reciprocity but my understanding of them is that if you are legal in your home jurisdiction then you are likely OK in a visited jurisdiction.  Obviously there are exceptions to that rule but for a private rig with a single trailer I think its a pretty solid baseline.  Out on the prairies (Man-Sask-Alberta) nobody pays much attention to that stuff.  BC is a little more anal and Ontario may be too - I don't have much direct experience there.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »

The law states: The maximum combined length for a recreational vehicle and trailer is 20 metres (65.6 feet).
Saying that I just traveled across BC with my bus and a 30ft trailer for a total of 70 ft. The only problem I had was finding a parking spot where I wouldn't be trapped by some other vehicle.  Check this site for BC info:
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/information/details.asp?id=6

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:26:38 AM »

What provinces are you visiting?  Ontario maximum length is 75'.  Reciprocity only applies to your driving license, you have to comply with all road laws, of which weight and length are only two.  My bus and trailer will  be 66' long.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
fraser8
Fraser

1972 Prevost

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 07:49:55 AM »

I checked the US regulations and they are very similar to ours, I don't think either side of the border enforces it if it is driven in a safe manner. This is a cut and paste of the US regs.

A combination that includes a recreational vehicle that is
not more than 45 feet long, when operating on Group 1 or Group 2
highways as designated by the department, may exceed the maximum
length for vehicles in a combination established under ORS
818.080 if the combination is not more than 65 feet long.

Fraser Field
Deroche, BC, Canada
Where the milk cows out number the people, but they can't vote
1972 Prevost, Detroit 8-71/740 Allison automatic, Jakes
Hobbies: restoring classic cars, www.oldambulance.com, arranging old car tours: www.coasters2010.com, www.canadiancoasters.ca
Retired Paramedic
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 05:10:20 PM »

As noted, the border employees have no concern about your vehicle configuration. Customs and immigration are their thing.

Whether you are a few inches one way or the other, as long as you have proper towing attachments, brakes and good lighting, I don't know who is going to bother you with a coach and a trailer on behind.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 05:38:20 PM »

There are highway patrol officers in the USA and Canada who will enforce length limits.  I remember reading about an RVer who got stopped as soon as he crossed into Minnesota because he was over length.  Minnesota used to be 65 feet, but is now 75 feet.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: