Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 01:19:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: first BIG trip....torn between HWY 1 and I-5 or ..........from WA to AZ  (Read 981 times)
kbunnystarr

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2006, 09:53:46 PM »

Undecided ok, so i LOVVVVVE the coast, and love to drive HWY 1 but I need expert advice on taking it from Olympia, wa to SO CAL and then to Lake Havasu City.  I want to be safe, and not scared as much as possible, but I LOVE the ocean, and my favorite place is on that coastal drive, .........I am just concerned about how much additional gas it will be  and about windy roads.  BUT Im thinking there may be more places , more plesant, to stay on HWY 1 than on 5....Im torn.  I was thinking maybe I-5 to like watsonville area and then over to the coast on HWY 1 and down on coast and take 10 over to AZ.  ANyone framiliar with 10 as opposed to 40....anyone have any thoughts?  Just trying to get a wide range of ideas and thoughts, fun, beautiful and safest for newbie Shocked)

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:05:41 PM »

Lake Havasu City, AZ is on I-40 but hey do it yer way! That's what this board is all about help'n others figure out how to do it their way! Personally I'd take the 5 to 99 and across 58 to I-40 but that's just my preference, I understand your love of the coast I love all water (Ocean, lakes, rivers), but I-5 to 99 to 58 to I-40 is the most direct and easiest way and has some beautiful areas  like around Mount Shasta Lake (or what ever it's called in northern CA) and there are some decent places further south too, I've never cmaped at many of them and the few I have were over 30 yrs ago when I was a kid with my parents, but there are very few places I haven't been as an over the rd truck driver for 15 yrs! Just My Opinion! Which if you take it and $ 3.00 it might get you a gallon of fuel! BK Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 10:20:05 PM »

I've driven the west coast highway one and 101.  What I would suggest is from Olympia, go right out to the coast and take 101 down into California.  While it is slower, it is very nice.  Once in California, stay on 101 all the way to San Francisco.  While the smaller highway one looks inviting, it is very slow, twisty and you're on the cliff side going south.  From San Francisco, I'd stay on 280 back to 101.  Then when you get to San Jose, take highway 17 back out to highway one, down through Santa Cruz, Monterey and Carmel. From Carmel to Morro Bay on highway one is about 120 miles.  Plan on 4 hours for this stretch, it is curvy, lots of driving, and you're on the cliff side, so some white knuckle driving.  Or you could take 68 from Monterey out to Salinas back to 101.  Whichever way you go, I'd suggest you take 46 east at Paso Robles all the way to highway 99, south on 99 to 58 east to I-40.
Lots of opinions on this one, just depends on how much time you have and how much curvy road driving you want to do.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
H3Jim

1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 07:28:12 AM »

I made some comments on the other board, but after reading TomC's suggested route, I think he is right on the $ for a great way to go.

Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: