Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 18, 2014, 04:41:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: August Bus Conversion Magazine  (Read 3386 times)
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« on: July 22, 2009, 02:46:37 AM »

I received the online version while I was getting my beauty sleep. It's looking better with each issue!

Check out the centerfold, way to go Christi and Michael! Maybe I can make August 2010 Centerfold! Grin

Perfect timing, I couldn't sleep so this was a wecome email, Thanks Chad!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 03:58:35 AM »

Mike, Chad, & Phil,

Bravo!

Great August issue...

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Bob Gilbert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 06:49:50 AM »

Sounds good Paul. What is the status of the snail mail version? I am still waiting on July.

Bob
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 06:54:33 AM »

Snff, sniff, I'm still out in the cold and rain waiting by the mail box for mine!  Cry  BK   Cry

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 07:29:02 AM »

We appreciate everyone's patience on the July issue.  I got notification from the printer that the U.S. delivery address issues are going to the post office today.  The international ones require different processing and are expected to go out tomorrow.  The July issue is the first to be mailed in a plastic pouch to protect it and improve delivery reliability.

The August issue is going to the printer today and the e-version will be online soon.

As a teaser Shocked, the September issue will be the beginning of a series of steps bumping the page count back up.  It will have 8 additional pages.  Our goal is to have it back up to 72 pages by the end of the year.  Attainment of that goal depends on sufficient advertising and subscription support.

Counting today there are 10 days remaining on the July subscription special - 3 extra months free on any subscription placed this month.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »

August issue! I never received April and July.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 08:31:06 AM »

Steve, PM or email me your subscription name an address or call me at 863-303-4008.  We will get you the April.  And as mentioned, July is going to the Post Office today and August is going to the printing company today.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 04:11:46 PM »

Hey Mike and all, just received August today in the mail out here in the West Coast, the REALLY NORTHERN CALIFORNIA. All wrapped in plastic and looks good (a little puny on the girth compared to all the motorcycle mags I get, but what the heck, it is the first one I got so it looks pretty good).

Thanks, I should have this one digested by the time the next one gets here.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 04:13:37 PM »

Folks, we got our beautiful August a couple of days ago. It arrived in great shape.

Good job Mike, and the others.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 02:23:58 AM »

I need a subscription?Huh
                 Can I do that on-line?Huh? Grin

Bill
Kwajalein Atoll

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 03:28:06 AM »

Thank You. I received all my issues. Now Just waiting for September.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Ericbsc

73 05

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 09:30:23 AM »

I don't want to rain on the parade as I am excited when a new issue comes, but I have noticed several things in the last year.

1. The issues get thinner and thinner. At the current rate a flyer may be the next step?

2. There is a BIGGGG drop in the number of techinical writing that can be helpful. I already know how to use a fire ext. (Keep in mind I am not trying to be rude. It was informative.)

3. I thought the intent of the mag. was to help builders of their own conversion with tech articles and pictures for the do it yourselfers. The most techinical picture I saw on the centerfold was of a couple guys shoving a couch through a window?

I think my three year scrip. is up soon. I will probably renew anyway. After all I have a book case I built in the bathroom for that important reading that has room for several more years worth!!!!
cody

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »

I'm thinking the tech articles are up to each and every one of us, I have some that I will be submitting at some point, I did submit one and then pulled it for personal reasons, one of which was that I wasn't happy with it, I'm a terrible teacher, I know what to do but cannot explain it so it's understandable.  This is a small board and it's our board, that makes it our magazine, to make it better involves effort on our parts.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »

Hi Eric,

The weight loss diet the magazine was on had us all worried.  Fortunately, since we took over, we are on a plan to pack some more pounds on it.  The September issue is a first step with 25% more pages, for a total of 40.  Over the coming months, subject to advertising revenues support, we will be bringing it up to 72 pages.

Regarding the technical content.  We will be featuring technical articles from highly knowledgeable/experienced people such as Tom Winterhalter, Sean Welsh and Cody just to name a few.  But I would also point out that there are already great technical features by highly knowledgeable/experienced people such as Jack Conrad, Jim Shepherd, Dave Galey,Tom Mason just to begin the list (not intentionally leaving anybody off, just typing fast and merely citing an example).

Some of the articles from July, August and September:

July

Watch Out for UFO's (Unattached Flying Objects) by Jack Conrad - A good course in securing elements within the conversion that could become deadly in a panic stop situation if not secured.  Obviously a very important how-to that included the technical tips on how to secure such objects.

Summer Fun!  Creating a Public Address System by Jack Conrad - Not as serious of a topic as the other, but we build these things for fun too.  Includes the details on how to set up the system like Jack has in his bus.

The Moment of Truth by Captain EQS
- Not a technical how-to, but it was part of an informative series to help new bus nuts get their bus home for the first time.  Complete with tips and suggestions.

Bus Chat
- How to torque lug nuts.  This regular feature is probably less interesting to the folks on these forums because it just captures one topic a month out of hundreds discussed here.  But based on subscription activity, I have concluded that 75% of the magazine's readers are not regulars on any forum.  Many of them don't use the Internet at all, while others only use it for email.  So Chad picks one topic per month from the forum, cleans it up a bit to focus on the question and the answers and publishes it in the magazine (now with credits to the contributing forum members).  And that can be very technically informative to many of our readers.

Control Freak by Craig Crevier - A discussion in automation systems to control house systems and bus mechanical systems.  Not everybody's cup of tea, but it is enough to make some of us techie people drool.  Wink

And all of that was in a skinny issue of the magazine!

August

RV Fire Safety by Windsor Fire and Rescue
- That would be the how to use a fire extinguisher article.  But it is also a guide on important knowledge needed to survive RV fires and tips on safety routines to help prevent such fires in the first place.  In my opinion that information is of critical importance for bus nuts to learn.  If in doubt read this:  http://swaimquest.com/Coach_Fire.aspx   The life changing story of how this:

became this:

in 13 minutes.

All the money and work you put into a conversion can be gone in minutes.  Worse yet, the lives of you, your loved ones and/or your beloved pets could be lost.

I apologize for digressing here, I just feel that it is vital to note the importance of that topic.

You Are Not Superman! by Captain EQS - Another installment of tips on getting the bus home that first time.  Sure, it isn't technical, but a new bus owner can't work on it if they don't get it home.  And if they do get it home but experience excessive hardship or tragedy in the process, that can well be the end of the dream before it really even gets started.

Bus Bling ... Stainless Steel Polishing by Grant Goold
- Now here is an absolute how-to technical feature.  Most bus nuts that have buses with lots of the nice fluted stainless steel are going to have to do this before it is "nice".

Converting A Bus Radiator Fill System to Automotive Components by Jim Shepherd - Another true technical how-to article that covers in great detail exactly how to do it.

Bus Chat - Dim 24v headlights
- Another one that came from the forums but is fresh to 75% of our readers and possibly useful to quite a few of them.  At the very least knowledge to absorb and refer to when helping another bus nut.

And all that was in another skinny issue of BCM.   Grin

And now ... weighing in 25% heavier, September!

Antifreeze Requirements for Detroit Diesel and Other Heavy Duty Diesel Engines by Jim Shepherd
- Very technical, very informative and very important if you would rather avoid spending $15K - $20K on an engine rebuild brought on by saving money on antifreeze.

A Heart Braking Tale by Dave Galey
- A story from Dave Galey that clearly and engagingly demonstrates the importance of properly adjusting your air brakes.

This Should Have Been Easy by Tom Mason - A detailed how-to story about finding and correcting moisture damage in bus walls and floors and finding/fixing the leaks that caused it.

Electric Wiper Motors and Wet Arm Washers by Jack Conrad - Another great detailed how-to article on how to change from air wiper/washer systems to electric.  Something most bus nuts end up wanting to do at some point.

And all of that is just getting started on technical features while we are still "underweight".  Just weight (pardon the pun) until it really gets in shape and is the 300 pound Gorilla pounding knowledge into your brain.   Grin

But that isn't all that Bus Conversions Magazine is about.  It isn't just a how to work on it text book.  It is also about enjoying it as you do the work or after you have it mostly done (they are never "done").  So we have articles covering great bus trips, rallies, funny stories by people able to laugh at themselves, and of course the monthly centerfold feature that generally includes the story of the conversion and use of that bus by its proud bus nut owner.

Wow!, when you look at it like that, I'm pretty danged proud to be a small part of this thing.  My thanks go out to the authors that put so much effort into writing the articles and to Chad for his hard work planning, coordinating and laying out and proof reading each issue.  And to the subscribers, like you Eric, that have subscribed and continue to subscribe and advertisers that have had the vision and confidence to stick with us.  All of these people are what make it all possible.

I don't want to rain on the parade as I am excited when a new issue comes, but I have noticed several things in the last year.

1. The issues get thinner and thinner. At the current rate a flyer may be the next step?

2. There is a BIGGGG drop in the number of techinical writing that can be helpful. I already know how to use a fire ext. (Keep in mind I am not trying to be rude. It was informative.)

3. I thought the intent of the mag. was to help builders of their own conversion with tech articles and pictures for the do it yourselfers. The most techinical picture I saw on the centerfold was of a couple guys shoving a couch through a window?

I think my three year scrip. is up soon. I will probably renew anyway. After all I have a book case I built in the bathroom for that important reading that has room for several more years worth!!!!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 08:32:23 PM by HighTechRedneck » Logged
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 05:06:36 AM »

I agree with Daveg and Eric the mag has got a little puny, I never griped when Mike ran it so I am not going to start now. Like in the old days I am just happy that we have a mag.

Thanks

John
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 10:34:18 AM »

Hey HTR, I keep hearing of a September issue. But I haven't seen it yet. Is it maybe something our mailman or a neighbor possibly snatched ?  Grin

Just curious! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »

BK, it went to the Post Office Sept 4.  Of course, I doubt they did a lot with bulk mail over the Labor Day weekend.  But given  your proximity, I would expect you would get it soon.  Another perk of the sealed plastic wrap - a wannabe bus nut mail carrier can't take it home to peruse first.   Grin  Now if you get it late and the wrap has been opened, you've got something to talk to him/her about.   Wink

Just think BK, when the highway project drives you guys out of your current location, if you move to Chattanooga, you can get yours hand delivered and be the first on the board to get the print one every month.
bubbaqgal

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 03:28:05 PM »

Just think BK, when the highway project drives you guys out of your current location, if you move to Chattanooga, you can get yours hand delivered and be the first on the board to get the print one every month.
Mike, I believe they call that bribery!  Wink

Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.
plyonsMC9
Global Moderator

Big Wheels Turnin'

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 06:36:55 PM »

I need a subscription?Huh
                 Can I do that on-line?Huh? Grin
Bill
Kwajalein Atoll

To answer Bill's question about online subscriptions, we have a link for US subscribers. and we have another link for International.

Go to www.BusConversions.com .  Click on "Magazine" on the menu bar.  Then "Subscribe".  Then select whether it will be for a U.S. or International delivery address.

Thanks for asking Bill!

Hope this helps, Phil

Grin  Grin

« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 08:38:46 PM by plyons » Logged

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 08:52:10 PM »

Mike, I believe they call that bribery!  Wink

Now that you mention it ...  Why yes, I do believe it is.   Grin Grin   bwaaaaahahahahaha!

But, being fair minded and all ....  Anyone that wants to come by the Choo Choo Express Garage here can receive hand delivery of the most recent edition.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: