Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 21, 2014, 09:57:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help,eagle bay rubber hinge e/z way  (Read 1710 times)
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2006, 08:29:18 AM »

Can anyone give me the best way to installed the rubber hinge on the bay doors.
i know i have to clean out the tracks. i want to know if i have to remove the door or just pull the new rubber in top and bottom at the same time. I  have a eagle model 10. any suggestion is worth haveing.  thank you

pete

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
akroyaleagle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 01:55:58 PM »

Pete,
You must remove the doors.
Pull out the old hinge,
Clean the track,
Use a good amount of dish soapy water,
Slide the new hinges in.

This will take a couple extra hands.

Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Huron, South Dakota
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 04:01:59 PM »

I've never owned an Eagle, but my MC5A has the rubber hinges and they're a PIA to replace!

Here's my assisted method:

Remove the two screws at either end of both the door and the chassis. Smiley

Use a SHARP razor knife and make many, many slashes in the existing hinge. Sad

It'll come out in shreds..if so, you're making progress. Angry

Use a .30 caliber bore brush on a drill to clean out both the upper and door track. Tongue :-

Using copious amounts of Teflon liquid...insert the new hinge in the door. Undecided

Find a local "Gorilla" to assist you in sliding the door hinge into the track...having used (again) copious amounts of Teflon lubricant on both that track and the hinge.   Re-install the containmetn screws and pray to the Bus Gods that you won't have to do this again!

Sigh, a big sigh of relief. Shocked

Clean the Teflon liquid off the sides of the bus. Cry

And if you have any spare time...c'mon over.  I have a couple more to do! Grin

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
tomhamrick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 05:28:26 AM »

Here is the easiest way I have found for me to do alone. I use a engine hoist and straps to hold the door up after removing the gas struts. I then drill out the rivets that hold the top hinge track in place and remove it from the bus. I can then take this to the work bench and clean the track good. I also clean the track at the top of the door. The hinge can then be slid into the top track and then into the top of the door. The door is then lined up with the opening and the rivets replaced. This eliminates having to man handle the door while trying to align and slide in the hinge. I am also replacing 4 inches of rubber hinge on each end of the door with stainless piano hinge that I get from Ed Gallant. This helps to stabilize the door and should keep the rubber from splitting for a long time. This works for me.

Tom Hamrick
1991 Prevost H3-40 VIP
1981 Eagle 10
Forest City, NC
pete81eaglefanasty

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 09:38:36 AM »

Hi
 Just would like to thank all of you for the come back, some very good ways of doing it, some very good answers. I'll take on the job next week, just after my boys finish painting my bus. Not the whole bus just a lot of touch up work especially where the lighting strike was, and some minor damage was when i bought it.

Pete

WHAT EVER YOU DO, OR TO WHO YOU DO IT TOO, DO IT WITH A SMILE, IT MAKES IT LEGAL THAT WAY.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:50:31 PM »

I just did the battery door hinge on my MCI, pretty much the same way Ncbob said, only a little different "lube".
Start to finish it took me 15 minutes to change the rubber.
OH ya thanks Luke.
Ednj

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: