Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 29, 2014, 10:02:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why won't topic pages load completely?  (Read 737 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: July 25, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »

I wasn't sure if should go on board help or not.  Anyhow, every time I click on a topic on the forum the page never loads completely.  I see all of the posts in the topic and nothing seems missing.  IE just keeps displaying the little spinning icon like the page is still loading forever.

This happens on three different computers all running IE 7 with Windows XP SP2 or SP3.  The computers are configured differently and all three go through different Internet connections so I don't think it is something on my end.

Any ideas?  Any others seeing this?  It really isn't a big deal, but merely a minor annoyance.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 05:21:25 PM »

Dunno about your computers, but all of ours are loading completely.
1 - XP Pro SP3 w/IE7, Firefox, Chrome
1 -W2K Server SP4 w/IE6, Firefox, Chrome
1 - W2K Pro SP4 W/IE6, Firefox, Chrome.

Possibly clearing your cache and temporary internet files will clear the problem up. Also try refreshing.

You may also want to run a Malware/Adware/Spyware scan if you haven't lately, using your favorite scanner.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 05:28:16 PM »

My home PC runs an antivirus scan and a spyware/malware scan every night.  The work computers have Symantec installed on them and they are scanned pretty regularly although not sure what the exact schedule is.

Refreshing does work for that page, but I have do it on every page.  If nobody else is seeing this I'll just not worry about it as really doesn't affect my forum usage.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:11:56 PM »

Our new laptop with Vista does the same thing. It has AVG and nothing seems to be running abnormally. I've done everything to see what's going on, sometimes it runs for a while after the page loads then stops, other times it the icon turns until I switch pages.

I just thought it was common with this new MS stuff, yuk.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:11:59 PM »

It does it on IE 7 and 8 for me too but not in Firefox 3.

It seems to be something to do with the social bookmark feature that was added to the forum.  When it is doing that prolonged "1 item left to load" if you hover over the book mark button causing it to expand, then move off of it, it finishes loading.

I have used IE since it first started and liked it fairly well most of those years.  But I have to admit that the last year or so, I am using Firefox more and more due to various web pages not coming up right in IE.  I think MS is just getting too far away from the established HTML specifications/standards.  A good example is our bank's "location finder results page".  In IE, part of the results text are run behind the map image so that you can't see them.  In Firefox and Opera it loads fine.

I think MS is so used to "owning" the browser market that they still think they can rule the standards.  But that just isn't the case anymore.  Other browsers, especially Firefox are really gaining ground.  And if MS doesn't get IE down to standards compliant, they could lose much more of their market share.
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 06:36:52 AM »

I use IE mostly because it was so much faster than Netscape in version 4 or 5 and I've just kept using it.  There are a number of web applications I use that very specifically require IE.

My employer will only support IE on Windows so that is another reason I have not switched.  I suppose I could install Firefox at home and try it out.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: