Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 17, 2014, 11:56:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Towing a bus without a tow truck/landoll  (Read 5382 times)
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 06:17:42 AM »

So I know a little more now about the condition.  According to the director of the academy, the pressure plate cracked and it has been parked for about 3 years.  He is going to have their mechanic call me for further questions later this week.  It did continue to run well.  So, we'll see!

And I got a quote from the towing company behind my house of 200-250, assuming I have pulled the axles and can air it up.  That sounds like a no-brainer!  I was expecting twice that amount or more!

Glenn
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 06:25:20 AM by Tenor » Logged

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 07:38:36 AM »

I'd slap $300 in the tow truck OPERATOR's hands and thank him by telling him "I don't need no change!"
JMHOFWIW!

Don't get me wrong, I'm a cheap skate by nature, but It's well worth $300 to have an uneventful experience! (of course I wouldn't pay up front just in case!)
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:49 AM »

I'm with BK on this (especially the cheap part  Wink )

Sitting for 3 years. . . . . That'd make me very nervous as to the condition of seals & air lines.

Do your homework & verify the bus airs up & rolls before you schedule a tow, you don't want to pay the tow driver his rate to do the things you can!

I used a generator & a portable air compressor to air up one that had been sitting for 10+ years.

You'll be happiest with a Landoll trailer, you won't have to worry about the tires, or air lines, or airbags, or etc during the trip.
(A inside dual tire failure can take out the airbags before you know it lost air.)
Those tow truck drivers MOVE! They don't waste any time going down the road, so if on the hook, your tires better be up to the task!

Landoll tows around here (south east) run from $75 to $125 per hour the truck is away from the shop. So the quote you got is right in line.
The hook tow trucks are ~25% more & some won't even hook up to an old bus. . . .

Did you explain how old the bus is, where it is, how long its been sitting? These things may have an impact on getting it towed. You don't want to pay them just to come out & say "we don't do that".  Sad

About the debate over using roadside assistance to pay for towing something you bought knowing it needed towing - I'm surprised there is anything to discuss. We should all know the difference between right & wrong .  .  .  . & where deception belongs.

Oh yeah, about recommending using a vehicle rated for 12,500# gcvw to move a 30,000# 'trailer' 50 miles . . . . Not on MY life! Moving that off the road or short distances is one thing, but when you get to double digit miles, the odds of burning up something move too close to a sure thing.  Sad

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 08:32:35 AM »

I don't see a problem as a Eagle owner they came from the factory with a tow bar bracket on the front and a place to air the system up to tow 3 axles down Trailways did for years   good luck

As I understand it from an old Eagle employee, the tow bar was only used to move gliders around the plant.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
scanzel

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 10:36:11 AM »

You might also want to check state laws about towing with straps, chains or make shift tow bars. Having the law stop you along the way only to tell you that you cannot move it any further until it is done properly and also give you a ticket for improper towing could possibly be more expensive than just doing it correctly the first time. And then there is the safety issue is the vehicle should get out of control on you.

Steve Canzellarini
Berlin, CT
1989 Prevost XL
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 12:27:59 PM »

I agree with you belfert. I guess my point is if Glenn doesn't have a roadside assistance policy maybe he should consider one long term not just for this one instance. I would not be without one.
Ya, what BK said, sounds like a heck of a deal with no liability.

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »

Yeah Bob you are right.  I need to put a towing policy on my bus.  I'll get one VERY soon!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 09:12:07 PM »

So here's the story.  I may have found a good parts bus (mci 7) that may have a bad tranny.  It's about 50 miles from where I live, and there are 2 lane blacktop routes that would connect with minimal traffic.  Assuming I have air for brakes/suspension and have pulled the axles, is there any reason not to tow it with another truck/ bus? 

Are you CRAZY?Huh

That coach weighs FIFTEEN TONS.  A bus MIGHT work, but anything else other than a semi or a big-rig tow truck will not have the mass to control the towed load, and it will go from "doing okay" to "Also killed the crash was" in two or three seconds. 

Call all of the big-rig-tow operators within 100 miles, explain the situation, and let them bring it as a back haul after taking a semi somewhere.  If you are willing to wait a few days until convenient for them, you can save a lot of money and do so without killing someone.

An alternate idea is that, since you are planning to part it, part it THERE.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:26 AM »

Tenor,

Would you be so kind to do us a favour and report that the job has a conclusion, whether true or not?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 08:56:52 AM »

BW,
I will post a conclusion.  I am awaiting a call from the mechanic (probably tomorrow) then a call from the financial people at the academy.  THEN I have to get some knee pads for the begging to my wife... Wink

At this point, I expect to use the towing company to do the job if all of the above works out.  The rate of 200-250 (flat tow, not landoll) is just too good to scrimp on.

Glenn

Forgot to add, that if this works out, I'll be making parts available in the Spare Tire section.  I'll start a new thread to see who is looking for what.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 08:58:40 AM by Tenor » Logged

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Damn Yankee

Bob Shafer 1965 Mci-5A-6029 8v71 auto

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 12:49:24 PM »

I've got my needed parts list ready! Grin

Tenor

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 09:09:24 AM »

A final update to this thread:  The academy that owns the bus has had a volunteer step forward to repair the clutch.  I asked them to keep me posted if they change their minds or if things fall through.  Thanks!

Glenn

Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
8v71
4 speed Spicer
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: