Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 31, 2014, 02:18:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Off Topic Columbia SC  (Read 1152 times)
jjrbus

MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL

Ignore
« on: July 11, 2006, 06:12:35 PM »

I have been doing a web search for a place to buy a house. Columbia seems to meet my needs, The first thing I need is easy access to a Veterans Administration hospital. Is anybody from that area, spent any time there? Have any insights, opinions? Someplace they think is alot better?
                                     Work?/Play safely Jim

Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 06:32:17 PM »

Both Charleston, SC and Columbia, SC  have VA hospitals.  North Carolina has Ashville (not too far from NCBob), Salisbury (30 min North of Charlotte), Durham, and Fayatteville.    Ashville, Charleston and Salisbury are within two hour drive of Columbia. 
Some years ago I had the "priviilege" of working as a paramedic...used to transport critical patients to these facilities.  As long as you don't mind waiting, they'll all get the job done.  Columbia, Charleston and Fayetteville are busy due to proximal military bases.   Columbia is probably as good as it gets.  If you have private health insurance, or Medicare, private would be my first choice.    If you need specific info, my father-in-law is ex-Marine and has utilized the Columbia facilities...primarily for meds.   He will have an opinion...probably pretty accurate.
Let me know and I'll be glad to ask him whatever you wish to know.
With exception of MV taxes, SC is a good place to live.   BEST of ALL, you're less than an hour from TIMMONSVILLE!  Cheesy 
Come on up and see us'ns!
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Clarke Echols

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 10:08:05 PM »

Hey, don't forget Loveland, CO.  50 miles north of Denver.  Good VA hospital in Denver or Cheyenne
50-60 miles away.  Van runs from here to Cheyenne daily as I recall.

I even have a 950 square foot home for sale that I completely overhauled, including new foundation
and structural refurbishment.  The realtor says I did too good of a job. :-)  It's really nicely done, and
has a 12 x 36 foot garage with room for a shop inside (8' 4" ceiling).

Weather's great.  Summer temps rarely hit 100, about 30-35 days in the 90s each year, and some
winters we don't even get to zero.  And it's dry enough we don't see a lot of mosquitos either. :-)

And you can see the mountains.  I have a full view of the Front range right out my master bedroom
and living room windows, with Long's Peak and Rocky Mountain Park in the center!  Beautiful town
with a lot of vets and veteran activities.

(Not an ad -- just trying to be helpful.  We really like living here.)

Clarke
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006, 10:11:21 PM by Clarke Echols » Logged
rwc
No longer will be Now AM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 04:56:43 AM »

Temple, Texas has a VA hospital and no snow in winter very rare freeze. Rod

DrivingMissLazy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 05:29:56 AM »

Having lived in Charleston, SC for four years, I definitely have no desire to go back there. Mosquitoes, heat and terrible humidity and did I mention mosquitoes? I Know Columbia is further inland, but I would make sure what the climate is there, if you have not already.
Richard

I have been doing a web search for a place to buy a house. Columbia seems to meet my needs, The first thing I need is easy access to a Veterans Administration hospital. Is anybody from that area, spent any time there? Have any insights, opinions? Someplace they think is alot better?
                                     Work?/Play safely Jim

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 10:10:42 AM »

I grew up in Columbia & liked it. The weather can be hot & humid, (what do you expect being so close to the hot air source in the state house? Smiley) but you can get used to it, ... eventually....
Depends on exactly where you want to buy a home as some neighborhoods are much better than others. I liked living in Westover Acres (in West Columbia) because every thing was close without being in the back yard, less than 5 minutes from the capital, 15 minutes to the Zoo, & 1 mile from I-26.

Lots of stuff local & you are only ~2 hours from the coast or mountains.

I'm now in the Greenville area where it's ~5F cooler Smiley, but the alergens are more abundant Embarrassed.

I'd suggest spending time in a rental house to learn the area better before buying a house though. That will allow you to get the best home value for your $$$.

Good luck
kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 07:21:00 PM »

As I live about 90 miles North of  Columbia, I can pretty well describe the weather....hot, humid, typical of the Piedmont.  Same from central Florida thru DC.   As Kyle sez...gets cooler nearer the mountains.   Same as Charleston, but hotter, and fewer 'skeeters (still enough to go around)...and no salt water eating everything. 
Good luck on your 'landing place!
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: