Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 26, 2014, 12:09:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kwaj Diver returning to Kwajalein  (Read 2835 times)
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:47:43 AM »

Hello All,

A few of you know this from the chat room the other night.   Friday I fly out of Tampa heading back to Kwajalein Atoll, in the Marshall Islands, for yet another tour.  They made me an offer that I couldn't refuse.  With tax free money and all my room and board paid for I'm on the way back for at least 2 years.

Kwajalein is located 2400 miles southwest of the Hawaii Islands.  I've spent three tours, fourteen years there as a Department of Defense contractor.  We do missile testing (incoming and outgoing) and our RADARS track anything and everything put into space.

The big blue bus is going on a consignment lot for sale.   I'll still tune into the board from time to time, just to give my two cents worth.  However, with all the scuba diving and boating I'll HAVE to do   Grin  living a island 3 miles long by 1/2 mile wide, I may not be on as much.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:02:17 PM »

Hi Bill,

Kwaj was one of the places I heard lots about when I was working on the Eastern Test Range on Ascension Island.

We had quite a few folks that were veterans of that area.

I almost had a coronary the first time I saw taxes taken out of my check, after almost 5 years tax free.   Shocked

Best of Luck and Safe travels to both of you.....

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 01:59:52 PM »

Bill,

Well I guess that precludes me from showing up for dancing lessons.

Good luck to you both and if you get board of the tropical life you'll know where
    to find us (hiding under the snow)

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
cody

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 02:35:22 PM »

Bill, take me with you lol, wow thats a tropical paradise, I'm adoptable you know and I don't eat much. lol
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 04:21:42 PM »

Bill,

April and I wish you all the best. Stay in touch and don't be surprised if we take you up on your offer to visit.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Airbag

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 04:44:46 PM »

Many moons ago I built the engines for the aircraft that ran supplies to the islands there, Global Associates. They flew the DeHaviland Caribous out of Oakland to the missile range. We got a call from Global that one of their Caribous was limping in on one engine. The aircraft had one engine we built and a surplus Gov overhaul on the otherside. We waited sweating bullets for them to make it home which they finally did just barely. We found out it was our engine that brought them home it made us feel great. They were Pratt Whitney R2000-7M2 1450 horse power twin row radials.

http://www.dhc4and5.org/Kwajalein.html

« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:32:38 PM by Airbag » Logged
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 07:43:29 PM »

Hey Bill, Good luck on your adventure! Hope you don't get sunburned! Enjoy the dives, send me some pictures please. I used to dive, havn't done that in 4-5 years. I sure miss it!

Stay in touch with your busnut buddies, OK?

Take Care my Friend!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »

My first tour, during the late 70's early 80's I flew many an hour on Caribous, great plane.  Yes, they could fly on one engine.

When you have worked the test ranges for a number of years, they label you a RANGE RAT.   Being I started on the Easten Test Range, three tours of Kwajalein Missile Range, and one tour on the Alaska Early Warning Radar Range, guessing that labels me a Range Rat.

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Airbag

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 09:20:03 PM »

My first tour, during the late 70's early 80's I flew many an hour on Caribous, great plane.  Yes, they could fly on one engine.

When you have worked the test ranges for a number of years, they label you a RANGE RAT.   Being I started on the Easten Test Range, three tours of Kwajalein Missile Range, and one tour on the Alaska Early Warning Radar Range, guessing that labels me a Range Rat.

Bill

You be careful out there and check in once in a while. I hope your bus sale goes your way, so you can get another when you return.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 05:26:49 AM »

Bill,

We are going to miss you. Have fun.

God bless

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Ed Brenner

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »

Bill , The way the market is right now, If you are only going to be there for two years, why not just keep it. Alot of us nuts probably spend that much time
working on them before they get their first road trip. Some one I,m sure has a place to park a bus. I had two in my back yard could get another there again
That's if you don't mind the disease it might catch parked next to an EAGLE  Grin

Just a thought but the space is here (Murrells Inlet , SC )
ED

Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »

Thanks for the offer Ed. Truth be known, I don't know how long I may stay.  Thinking I would like a smaller weekender. 

Bill

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 05:02:39 PM »

Bill,

Maybe when you return you will get an Iggle Grin Grin Grin. Not smaller, but maybe better??? Grin Grin Grin

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »

Thanks for the offer Ed. Truth be known, I don't know how long I may stay.  Thinking I would like a smaller weekender. 

You're gonna get out there and go native aren't you?  You might never come back you bum. 

Have fun.  We're all jealous.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
gomer

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:58 PM »

Hey Kw,  I will come and get your coach and keep it running [up and down highways] and it won't cost you a DIME.  I would be more than happy to accomadate a good ole fellow Bus Nut like Me and you.  Do I get brownie points for this thought??
Best of luck to you and stay safe.

Gomer

P.S.  Offer still stands   

as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: