Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
July 31, 2014, 12:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: The dog will not eat it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nick, A Refrigeration Question  (Read 1983 times)
Dallas

« on: April 10, 2006, 12:41:51 PM »

I know someone has probably asked this before on the old board, but I've been away for awhile.
I was thinking about taking one of the small reefer units off an old beer truck. You know the ones, the kind that sit above the cabs on Isuzu NPR's. Why wouldn't that work as a basement air unit? It could be run off the genset or plumbed into the engine compartment.
It's not high on my list of priorities, but a friend of mine who retired from ref/heat/HVAC work says it can't be done. If it can't, I just want to know the why's.
Thanks in advance!
Dallas
htp://www.busconversionstuff.com/eventpage.htm
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 01:42:25 PM »

Dallas,

Anything can be done! But the question is, Is it practical?

The reefer system you reffer to is ran off the truck engine, simmular to a car A/C [ clutch drive ].

The other larger systems [ thermoking ] on Honk Honk trucks [ my son calls them that] run self contained.

Usually with their own diesel engine!

Second, The temp they are designed for is either medium temp [36-44deg] or low temp [ 0 to 25 deg]

and would have no roll in proper dehumidification for a coach!

Third, Not so efficient. with being designed for thoose low temps they draw alot of current!

Just my thoughts!

Nick Badame-

I know someone has probably asked this before on the old board, but I've been away for awhile.
I was thinking about taking one of the small reefer units off an old beer truck. You know the ones, the kind that sit above the cabs on Isuzu NPR's. Why wouldn't that work as a basement air unit? It could be run off the genset or plumbed into the engine compartment.
It's not high on my list of priorities, but a friend of mine who retired from ref/heat/HVAC work says it can't be done. If it can't, I just want to know the why's.
Thanks in advance!
Dallas
htp://www.busconversionstuff.com/eventpage.htm

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Dallas

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 03:57:18 PM »

Thanks Nick, I wasn't talking about the self contained Thermokings with the Isuzu Diesel or the Big Carrier units... Those things weigh over 1600 Lbs. I use to work on those engines when I had the trucking company.
The units I was thinking of are like one that we had in a produce delivery truck. It kept temps between 40-60° and could be set up to about 75°. It ran off the engine compressor when on the road but could be plugged in to house current when sitting overnight.
I wish I could remember the brand name. I want to say it was a Carrier, but won't swear to it.
Size was about 28"H X 36"L X 30"D (from outer cover through wall to inner discharge chute).
Again, Thanks a lot for all your help!
Dallas
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 04:05:14 PM »

Dallas,

I know the units you are talking about [brain lock] I can't remember either, But, I serviced plenty in the past.

Lots of relays that were always a problem. Not to mention the rubber freon lines that always leaked. I still have some up in the loft!

Your Call!

Nick-

Thanks Nick, I wasn't talking about the self contained Thermokings with the Isuzu Diesel or the Big Carrier units... Those things weigh over 1600 Lbs. I use to work on those engines when I had the trucking company.
The units I was thinking of are like one that we had in a produce delivery truck. It kept temps between 40-60° and could be set up to about 75°. It ran off the engine compressor when on the road but could be plugged in to house current when sitting overnight.
I wish I could remember the brand name. I want to say it was a Carrier, but won't swear to it.
Size was about 28"H X 36"L X 30"D (from outer cover through wall to inner discharge chute).
Again, Thanks a lot for all your help!
Dallas

Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Dallas

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 04:18:38 PM »

Nick,
Thanks, I might look around at the local auctions for one to play with. I'm sure I'll have time, what with everything else, LOL!
Dallas
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 06:04:43 PM »

Nick,

I asked a refer q while back and never got a reply.   Sooooo!  In the post I heard an answer to my q, sort of.  He talked about the truck refers running of of house power while oarked overnite.

Can we use two compressors in our house air system.  One driven from the engine and a second driven from 110V AC was what I had in mind.  The split systems always made sense to me and they were already there (sort of) with the dash unit already installed and "controlled". Huh

Thank You

JohnEd

I am not going to insist on staying stupid, however.  What are the pros and cons here?

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 06:13:15 PM »

Hi Johned,

Yes, you could run seprate compressors like you discribe. But, in the case where you would need both running, either while driving or parked,
how do you intend on being efficient? Unless you over build your systems to only rely on 1 system to cool the entire coach.
Let me know what your plans are.
And I am sorry if I missed your earlier post!

Nick Badame

Nick,

I asked a refer q while back and never got a reply. Sooooo! In the post I heard an answer to my q, sort of. He talked about the truck refers running of of house power while oarked overnite.

Can we use two compressors in our house air system. One driven from the engine and a second driven from 110V AC was what I had in mind. The split systems always made sense to me and they were already there (sort of) with the dash unit already installed and "controlled". Huh

Thank You

JohnEd

I am not going to insist on staying stupid, however. What are the pros and cons here?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: