Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 28, 2014, 08:59:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New member, long time interest.  (Read 1362 times)
mdainsd

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2006, 10:44:11 AM »

Hello all. What a great place for information.
Ive had the bug for a long time to do a conversion, but now find myself with the resources and time to actually contemplate doing it. Im not after the rolling palace here, not that I wouldn't mind Grin, but I'm good with a more modest approach, what I like about the conversions is the ruggedness of design.
My plan is to search for a coach that may be an older conversion, or one that wasn't completed, as opposed to starting from scratch on my first one.
The bus is the big question. Usage will mainly be in southern california, arizona, utah, NM and nevada. I would like a platform that "could" operate at 80mph all day through the desert, not that I would though. The unobtainable MC-6 V12 comes to mind, but probably never going to find one, other suggestions? would like base platform for $30K or so. Pipe dream?
Let er rip guys.
Mark

"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has it's limits" - Albert Einstein
Dallas

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:05:09 AM »

Welcome To The Insanity Mark!

There's lot's of great information available on this board. You may also be able to find help when you really need it.

If your looking for a coach, why not check out what Mike the owner of this board and the editor in chief of Bus Conversions Magazine has for sale?

He may have something that will fill your needs at a reasonable price!
Just click on the MAK Bus Sales Banner above this post and be sure to subscribe to BCM so that Mike can keep this board free to all!

You could also join us in the Chat Room in the evenings, 5.30 til about 8.30 PST or 8.30 till about 11.30 EST.

Dallas
Chat Room Moderator
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:08:49 AM »

You didn't really say what you're looking for in terms of brand, length, witdth, age, etc. You'll to be more specific if you want more specific answers. Check the classified on this site, and in BC Mag.

I know a guy who has a decent 4106 for sale for about half that. Fully converted. Manual tranny. Runs good from what I hear. Located in CO. Could use some updating, but for the price, you'd have a good start.

email me if interested and I'll send you his contact info (maybe he'll contact you directly since he reads this board, too).

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
mdainsd

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 11:39:07 AM »

Thank you to both of you.

Grumpy, I'm very open as to make age etc. I like to do mechanical work on my own, and as such it seems an MCI is a good choice. But I'm all ears for suggestions.
Im single and may travel with a companion, so a huge coach is not necessary. One thing I did not mention in my original post and it may be very germain to the discussion, is that I would like to have the capability to tow an enclosed trailer that would house my 1969 camaro, for local use on trips (all up around 5,000lbs?).

"The difference between stupidity and genius, is that genius has it's limits" - Albert Einstein
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:07:38 PM »

Towing is not really an issue. Tongue weight is.

Of course it's possible to build a hitch that will support that much weight, most of these buses were not designed to be pulling loads with heavy tongue loads. Many do it, though. It just takes a little extra work to put a proper hitch on that will distribute the weight to the proper locations in the coach.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
Dallas

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 12:18:38 PM »

Thank you to both of you.

I'm all ears for suggestions.
Im single and may travel with a companion, so a huge coach is not necessary.

Mark,
Don't let yourself fall into the trap of buying a bus that's too small! You may find that you are stuck with too much stuff and too little place to put it.

A few years ago, my wife and I had a 30' transit coach and pulled a flat bed trailer with it. It held everything we needed and, as we full time, did pretty well, even without any bays.

When we got a chance to buy our present 35' coach, we marveled at the space available and the bay storage. Wow! we could get rid of the danged trailer!

Well, now, we find that our 35' GMC is just becoming too small with all the tools and books and stuff Cat and I collect. Not to mention, we have a 15 lb. boy cat and a 8 oz. girl kitten that have adopted us.
The bays are too small for easy access, the wheel wells get in the way and we really need to look for something bigger.

I'm looking at a MCI 102A2 with a blown engine right now that will fit into our budget and that will let us do the work needed while we still live in our present accomodations.

Maybe it will be large enough to carry all our junk!

Good Luck on your search,

Dallas

Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 01:17:38 PM »

Mark.......last week,I saw a  MC-6 V12 for sale,it was a converted bus with a 8V71,and they were wanting something in the range of 40k for it......Frank 4501-082
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 09:32:15 PM »

That is what I did. I have never regretted it. I get to enjoy using it now, and I learn what I like and donít like. One day far, far away I hope to do one from the ground up. Having some real ďtimeĒ under my belt will be invaluable when that time comes. Also, having one that is usable while building one means I would get to enjoy both aspects of the hobby. Just ask Christihicks.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: