Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
December 20, 2014, 02:15:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new powertrain donor  (Read 1628 times)
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2006, 06:30:57 AM »

Here's my new eng and tranny and the packaging that came with it. Its a DD8V71T, 370 hp with a HT740D Allison. The whole she-bang has 43,000 miles. A friend and I flew up to Virginia Saturday and drove her home (600 miles). This engine has Jakes also, and this was my first experience with those. I hope I have the same result in the bus that the truck has. They're awesome. The eng runs perfect with no smoke, etc. I guess it will wait till its in the bus for that! Although the truck has a lower ratio in the rear, we still averaged 8.1mpg, even through the mountains in Virginia. The plan du jour is ti remove the engine and salvage what I can from the rest of the truck and sell it for scrap.
    We got home Sunday, my ears have finally quit ringing and some feeling is coming back in my rear end......
Heres a foto after we got home-Its an American-La France 75o gallon Pumper (I guess)

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:02:27 AM »

That would be a cool truck to build an RV on the chassis. Cut off everything behind the cab and build a box conversion. Seating for several people in the cab. Maybe put a 5th wheel hitch for pulling a race or horse trailer.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 07:20:59 AM »

Great donor! Few thoughts- Most fire engines have high performance, high output engines in them since they were only made for a mad dash to the local scene then sit and idle for maybe hours.  While the 8V-71T (without an aftercooler) was an engine that was made for trucks, it was rated at 350hp and even at that was problematic as to heat related problems.  If it is an aftercooled block (can tell with the water line near the governor going down to the valley of the block below the blower), then 370hp is not to much.  In fact Detroit made a 400hp with 1200lb/ft TA version from the factory.  About the limit on the 8V-71T without aftercooler would be 75 injectors.  You should pull one of the valve covers and see what injectors you have.  Personally, if it is a non aftercooled block with 80 or larger injectors, I would have a air to air intercooler made that can be installed in front of the radiator.  This is what I'm doing just for a "smoke" turbo with increasing the injectors from 65 to only 70.  The number one killer to any Diesel is excessive heat.  Just look at the horsepower numbers that marine engines get with limitless cold water cooling.  The 8V-71TI could be pumped up to 800hp (peak horsepower and only a 15 minute rate in 24 hours).  Like any engine, get it well balanced between horsepower output and cooling and the engine will last.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 07:35:11 AM »

Looks like an American LaFrance. I used to volunteer for Roanoke Co. Fire and Rescue several years ago; they had several of those machines. Is that an old Roanoke unit?

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
ChuckMC8

1977 MC8 and 1993 102C3 Temple Ga #322 F&AM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 08:00:09 AM »

One of the nice things about this engine is that it has the factory build tags on the valve cover. So, It has 7G75 injectors, 370hp at 2100 RPM. It ran cool, 190 on long grades in the Virginia mountains and 180-185 the rest of the time. We would run 4 to 5 hours at governor speeed between stops. Here's an engine shot

Far better is it to dare mighty things,to win glorious triumphs,even though they may be checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much,because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.  Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)
Beatenbo

1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 08:07:34 AM »

Chuck, Why the switch? Looks like a fire truck would be a whole lot more fun than a bus! Charlie B. Grin
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 08:47:53 AM »

While 43,000 miles is great, I think engine hours would be a more realistic indicator of wear and tear.  You are going to have one hell of a water pump in your bus! Smiley

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Moof

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 09:52:29 AM »

I work with the emergency services in my community.† Last year one of the local fire departments had an unfortunate accident.† They rolled one of their newer engines onto it's side.† No serious injuries to the firefighters, but the fire engine was totaled.† Now for the amazing part.† The insurance company sold the totaled engine to the fire department for scrap value - $2,500.† Inside this totaled engine† is an 8V-92 Detroit with an Allison behind it.† There is even a transfer case since it is 4wd.† I offered them $3,000, but haven't gotten a serious reply back.† There are deals to be had out there.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:42:35 PM by Moof » Logged
Barn Owl
Roanoke, VA

PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 10:03:58 PM »

I was a firefighter for the county that this fire truck is from. I feel that they take good care of their equipment. In Roanoke County often the fire department is the first responder. That means they are called out on a lot of rescue calls. An hour meter would be nice though, when it was on a fire call that motor had to run the pump, so technically the hours of operation would be a better indicator of engine use. But it really is not important because we just donít have that many structure fires here. For the most part these trucks sat in the fire station. Being that there where lives that depended on this equipment, it would have been maintained to the highest levels. I suspect that this engine (the entire unit is called an engine, not the actual motor) probably served as a reserve unit for the last part of its service life. Reserve units are a lot like loaner cars, while one truck is being repaired, the fire station down a truck uses the reserve unit. Not sure, but just a guess, knowing a little how this county works. On an interesting side note; when I was trained as a pumper/operator (the one who drives the truck and operates the pump), I learned something I never thought of before. Many of those trucks could pump 1500gpm. If you were to put that kind of water into a house the fire wouldnít destroy it, the water would. Too much water weight would literally bring the house down. I know its common sense, but most people never would think about those things. During a fire you would be inclined to think that the more water the better. Itís just not how you extinguish most fires. Well, I am getting way too far of topic. Good luck with your fire truck, I think that itís a great place to get a donor motor.

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
Itís the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: