Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 12:59:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: By clicking on any ad, a hotlink takes you directly to the advertiserís website.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie... First Post - 1984 TMC MC-9  (Read 3492 times)
Depewtee

Ignore
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »

Hi All!

I bought my bus the first of this month and I am new to the bus nut community.  I have not had an opportunity to tinker with the bus much, but I have been enjoying reading your posts on this forum.  My bus is a 1984 TMC Crusader II (essentially an MCI MC-9) with a Detroit Diesel 6V92-T engine and an Allison 5-speed automatic transmission.  I have zero diesel experience, but I follow directions well and always welcome advice.  I actually bought the bus in June, but I had to wait until July 3rd to pick it up, as I live in Florida and the bus was in Minnesota.  My father-in-law flew up to Minnesota with me and accompanied me on the drive back - we drove the 1400+ miles nearly non-stop.

The bus has been converted for about five years now - the previous owner did a great job on conversion.  It has the roof raised 8" with R&M front and rear caps.  The windows were skinned, door skins replaced, and a custom paint job applied.  The interior is nice with the exact floorplan I was wanting - a couch and two chairs up front, a kitchen in the middle, a bathroom a little farther back, and the bedroom in the rear.  I have already ordered (and just received) an R&M fiberglass dash and R&M fiberglass taillight corners (102 style).  Although the bus has a 15kw generator, it does not have much else in the way of "automated" power.  The 12V system needs some work and switching between the gen set and shore power relies on the fail safe unplug and plug method.  I have my eye on a Xantrax 3000 inverter, but I believe I am going to have to pay down some of the bus debt before I start spending that kind of money.

I have many questions, but will do some searching on the board before I start throwing them out.  I have a few pictures of the bus posted here

Brian

Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9
Timkar

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 08:07:22 PM »

Very nice looking unit. Almost need sunglasses when you look at that shine.
 Grin Grin Grin

Cawston, British Columbia
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:19:18 PM »

Welcome to our madness Brian!  The condition known as "Bus Nut" is a mental condition for which there is no cure and the only way to deal with the symptoms is to indulge the obsession.  But the good news is that once infected, you really don't want to be cured. Grin

I am certain you will soon find this forum community to be an amazing place.  The help and camaraderie is beyond compare in my experience.

Mike
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 09:36:08 PM »

Brian -

Welcome aboard!

As others have said, busnutitis is incurable but enjoyable!

Two questions for you:  What is the VIN/Unit/Serial number on your coach?

Second:  What does the shifter say on the shift tower?  R-N-D-4-3-2-1 or R-N-D-3-2-1?

Again, welcome to the madness!

(PS:  If you haven't already, source out locally straight 40wt, CF-2, 1% or less sulfated ash content oil for your engine.  DO NOT, repeat, DO NOT use ANY multi-weight oil in the two-stroke 92 engine - per DDA.  Chevron Delo 100 & Texaco Ursa have the lowest sulfated ash (same company, same oil), Shell Rotella T is right at the max, Exxon/Mobile XD3 is in the middle.  Available thru oil/fuel distributors or NAPA.)

FWIW & HTH. . .

Wink

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
MattC

Recycled DART Bus 8284

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 10:28:52 PM »

Brian,

Welcome indeed!   It's fun having a more-or-less socially acceptable addiction. =)  

Nice looking coach!

Matt
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:53:49 PM by MattC » Logged

MCI 102A3 / 6V92 / HT740
Camping in our House LOL
WL7CQH
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 01:17:03 AM »

Welcome! I'm sure you are very excited had a memorable trip! Enjoy your new found love and keep it between the lines. Gorgeous coach by the way.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Sojourner
Jesus Love You!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:37:35 AM »

Welcome!

You have a great coach to enjoy with a few updates of your choices to do.

What a way to go.

Sojourn for Christ, Gerald

http://dalesdesigns.net/names.htm
Ps 28 Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 03:57:04 AM »

Hi Brian,

Welcome!

Who was the previous owner, I have seen that bus before.

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:54:51 AM »

RJ - The VIN is 1TUAAH9A5ER004186.  The only history I know is that the bus spent several years with "PA Transit" before the previous owner bought it.  The shifter reads (from top to bottom) R, N, 1-5, 1-4, 1-3, 1-2, 1-1.

Nick - The previous owner was Matt G. (he may not want me to reveal his last name).  He had the bus in Minnesota for about five years and used it to go to many NASCAR races, along with family camping outings.  I located the bus through eBay, so you might have seen it there.

I will post up some more pictures in the appropriate section this weekend.  Now that I have access to view everyone's pictures I can't wait to see your buses (non-members cannot view pictures).

I have had busnutitis for many years, I just have not had a bus until now.  I remember attending a training event 10 years ago and the presenter began with an icebreaker exercise where he asked all participants to introduce themselves and answer three questions.

1. What is your favorite color?
2. What is your dream car?
3. What cartoon character are you most like?

Of course I answered "a bus" to number 2.  He was dumbfounded.  He said in all of his years presenting no one had ever answered that question that way.  He then gave me an opportunity to change my answer, but I stuck with bus.  There was no real point to the exercise other than to start everyone talking a bit.

I am glad to finally be here,
Brian

Brian Shonk
1984 TMC MC-9
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 04:57:25 AM »

Brian,

Welcome aboard! That is great that you finally got your baby Grin.

If you don't mind me asking, how many smackers did you give for it?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
paulcjhastings

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »

You were in Minnesota and you didn't stop by and see me? Shocked. Or you could have had Brian's only rally with yourself, Brian Deihl, and belfert. Where in MN was that bus located?

Paul Hastings
1993 Setra 215 w/ Detroit Series 60 & Allison HT748
Belle Plaine, MN
612-987-6021cel
junkman42

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 05:43:08 AM »

Brian, welcome to the world of big toys.  I live in Laurel Hill which is about 40 miles north of FWB.  My phone is six five 2 two eight00.  Cell is eight three zero  six six 00.  I am retired so call any time and I am usualy home if You want to stop up.  John
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 05:58:08 AM »

Brian,
   Welcome to the wonderful world of Busnuts.  Since you are already in Florida, you should try to plan to attend Bussin' 10 in Arcadia, FL December 29-Jan. 1.  You will have a chance to see many other conversions and show off your beautiful coach.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Kwajdiver
MCI-9 "Kwaj Diver"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 07:56:32 AM »

Brian,

You will want to visit the Bussin in Arcadia, it will be like Busing 101.  I have learn so much from these guys.  They will be glad to share the collective knowledge.  Even if you can't go for the week, get down for a couple days.

I must have missed where you are in Florida.

Let me pass on something I JUST learn about my MCI-9.  (I've had my bus since Oct-07)  The switches on the left of the driver, the switch that says Tag Axle Unload or up or something like that.  That switch in the up postions will release air in your tags.  This should start lights blinking and alarms sounding.  It will make your turning radiance a lot better in a slow tight turn.  Like backing into a small little RV lot.

Good Luck and welcome to this nut house, bus nut house that is.

Bill
In Auburndale, Florida

Auburndale, Florida
MCI-9
V-6-92 Detroit, Allison 5 spd auto
Kwajalein Atoll, RMI
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »

Welcome aboard! Nice!
Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
Depewtee

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009, 06:18:58 PM »

Hi All!

To answer a few of the questions....

1.  I bought the bus in Saint Cloud, MN.
2.  How much did I pay? You can find out here.
3.  Does stopping at the Mall of America count as a Minnesota rally?
4.  John - I was hoping to find a nearby busnut.  I have lived in FWB over 40 years and have been to/through Laurel Hill hundreds of times. 
5.   Arcadia sounds like a busnut Mecca - count me in!  Might be a good time to conduct a Xantrex install "how to."  I will buy the Xantrex if anyone wants to demonstrate the "how to"  Grin
6. The person I bought the bus from, Matt, told me about the tag axle trick.  He said it also comes in handy if you are on soft/slippery ground and need to direct more weight/traction to the drive tires.  I have not tried pulling the tag axle up yet though.
7. I am in the panhandle of Florida - directly between Pensacola and Panama City, and about 30 minutes south of Interstate 10.

Brian

Brian Shonk
1984 TMC MC-9
gumpy
Some Assembly Required

Slightly modified 1982 MC9

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »

Nice looking bus. I think you did very well at that price.

Interesting. 30 miles away from me, and I never met the guy. I suspect he didn't haunt the boards. Too bad. Looks like he had a lot I could have learned.

craig

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 10:20:15 PM »

Welcome to the madness,  nice looking bus!!!!

Kyles non-rally in October would not be a bad ride for you. Maybe we'll see you there.

Xantrex has pretty good manuals,
http://www.xantrex.com/support.asp

reccomend one like the 4024 that does everything for you Smiley

read up and ask away on the questions

your hooked.

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 03:08:06 AM »

5.   Arcadia sounds like a busnut Mecca - count me in!  Might be a good time to conduct a Xantrex install "how to."  I will buy the Xantrex if anyone wants to demonstrate the "how to"  Grin
6. The person I bought the bus from, Matt, told me about the tag axle trick.  He said it also comes in handy if you are on soft/slippery ground and need to direct more weight/traction to the drive tires.  I have not tried pulling the tag axle up yet though.
7. I am in the panhandle of Florida - directly between Pensacola and Panama City, and about 30 minutes south of Interstate 10.
Brian

Brian,
   The "how to" seminar might be a possibility.  We may be in the FWB area in November as we make our way back home.  I will let you know.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
loosenut
Confidently Ignorant

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 07:10:40 AM »

I started a couple of months before you and all I can say is wow.  Your bus looks great.  I'm envious of the all your storage.

Mike

Sold 85 Neoplan 33ft 6V92ta, sadly busless
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: