Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 03:23:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71 Air Filter CFM -- Had a great trip  (Read 3509 times)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 03:58:01 PM »

With the price of an air filter element less than $100.00, and an engine overhaul around $15,000.00- PLEASE all- do NOT blow clean the filter elements.  Blowing them out creates small holes in the paper elements thus letting dirt directly into the engine.  Just don't wait that long to change the filter-do it more often then you think, and the engine and you will be happier.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »

I was told many years ago to not blow out filters, shake/bump them on the ground if you need to. New filters are not that expensive and like Tom said, it's a whole lot cheaper than a new engine. Blowing them out also distorts the protection and alignment.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009, 07:22:30 AM »

I know that the oil bath filters better than paper.  I also know that the oil bath MUST be appropriately sized to the engine for the filter to trap all the dirt in the oil AND be nonrestrictive.  Oil bath restriction to air flow doesn't increase with the time it has been in service since last being serviced.  Is any of this stuff I "know" wrong?

But!  Is the proper oil bath a better flowing and less restrictive filter at the beginning of the filter life?  If the paper goes thru it's life span moving towards a more restrictive, time to replace, item and the OB never needs service due to restriction the OB has always seemed, to me,  to be superior except from a difficulty point of view.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Dallas

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »

Melbo,

To get back to your original question, how many CFM.....

According to Centriprecleaner.com, the 8V71 requires 875CFM, the 8V71T requires 1250 CFM. The L10 requires 594 CFM and the LTA10 requires 687 CFM

I would assume the 71 series Detroit requires more air because it is a 2 stroke and makes power on every stroke. The Cummins is a 4 stroke and makes power every other stroke.

http://www.centriprecleaner.com/engineguide.html

YMMV
No Pixels were harmed in the making of this post.
I did not use any resistors in the creation of this post
I did not create a universe while creating this post.

Dallas
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009, 11:48:54 AM »

Dallas

Thank you for answering the original question and saving the pixels.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »

Well guys I couldn't let this die about blowing out air filters some wrong info here about the subject.
I went back and read the owners manual on heavy equipment I have own over the years and Cat, John Deere and Bomag recommends you blow the air filter everyday at no more than 40lbs of air when working in dust.
Some of these filters cost over me over 250 bucks each and going with some of you guys recommendations that would have cost me 750 bucks a day for the Bomag as the were blown out 3 times a day sometimes  just food for thought    

good luck
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:07:53 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: