Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 01, 2014, 11:32:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiators  (Read 1512 times)
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2006, 07:41:33 AM »

You know it won't be to far down the road before I upgrade my radiator so as to be able to handle the replacement of the 8V71 to the 8V92.I have an GM 4501 Scenicruiser,the radiator of course is a downflow type.A crossflow design radiator has a much greater cooling ability due to its design.Do they use crossflow radiatosr on buses?,do any of you all have a cross flow design radiator on your bus.Thanks in advance..........Frank.
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 04:12:07 PM »

HMMMMMMMMM,looks like  I've touched upon a subject that no one has delt wth before,( due to the lack of responces),come on all you bus nuts,put your thinking caps on.........*smiling*.....Frank
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 05:11:40 PM »

GMC RTS Transits with the 6V71N and 6V92TA use crossflow radiators with the caps on the ends.
an expansion tank reservoir is mounted high above the radiator near the back corner.

If you plan on using and 8V92TA engine you may need to look for a truck radiator with larger capacity
than those found in the RTS buses. Some trucks do use crossflow radiators. You would probably need
a 7 or 9 row core to even start thinking about cooling the 8V92 in a bus application with lots of fan capacity
due to the side air intake.

The best thing to do would be to have the stock PD4501 radiator recored and expanded in capacity
as it was more than adequate for the 8V71 engines. If that is possible.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Bosshosssport96

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 05:27:43 PM »

DrDave..thanks for the info.....Frank
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 05:04:42 AM »

Hey Frank,
There are new advances (in the last 30 years) in radiator core technology, making some more efficient and smaller in size. I think it has something to do with dimples in the tubes enhancing the turbulence at the surface & allowing more heat transfer. Talk to area truck shops to see who they use to recore radiators & then talk to the radiator guys. You may have to talk to several before you find a good & helpfull one.
Good luck,
kyle4501

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 10:33:53 PM »

There is an E model MCI in our shop having transmission work done.  The radiator is a down flow design with the air to air intercooler next to it-also an up flow design (air comes in the bottom and comes out the top).  Both radiators are tied into the same radiator shroud and fan.  If you don't know, unlike other MCI's the E model has the radiator down low next to the engine on the left side, much like and Eagle.
A tidbit on the transmission removeal.  They completely removed the tag axle to get the transmission out.  Our transmission guy started taking it apart at 8 and by 12 was completely apart including the torque converter-needless to say I was impressed.  One of the filters colapsed and junk got into the trans, burn out one of the shifting pressure rings.  So the parts were only about $2500 plus labor.  So the owner got off easy.  It is an Allison B500-big sucker.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RJ
Former Giant Greenbrier Owner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 11:36:53 PM »

There is an E model MCI in our shop having transmission work done.  A tidbit on the transmission removal.  They completely removed the tag axle to get the transmission out.

A point of clarification for those not familiar with the coach Tom's talking about:  "E" models have a steerable tag axle, unlike the fixed units on 7s, 8s, 9s. As, Bs, Cs, Ds and Js.  So to pull the transmission only, the tag's got to come out.

The other option is to pull the entire powertrain. . .

HTH

RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
Fresno CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: