Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 01, 2014, 07:16:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This BB is intended for the sole purpose of sharing conversion and bus related information among visitors to our web site. These rules must be followed in order for us to continue this free exchange of info. No bad mouthing of any business or individual is permitted. Absolutely no items for sale are to be posted, except in the Spare Tire board. Interested in placing a classified or web ad, please contact our advertising dept. at 714-903-1784 or e-mail to: info@busconversions.com.

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Low Bridges  (Read 1544 times)
Trooper-D

Ignore
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:48:21 AM »

I have recently had a few close calls with low bridges that could easily have resulted in a bad accident.

Does anyone know of a good GPS system or add on for my Garmin that would give a low bridge warning?

Something like a speed camera POI list could work, but I can't seem to find anything.

Many thanks.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »

Train yourself to read the bridge height signs, and the rest of the roadside signage as well, and be done with it.

Unusually low ones have signage some distance before the bridge to allow you to take an alternate route.

If the GPS gets us lost, you're going to trust it to keep you from hitting a bridge?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
HighTechRedneck
Global Moderator

BCM Editor

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 08:01:57 AM »

There are GPS systems that are supposed to take bridge clearances into account.  They may be convenient but are they a good idea?  Do they instill a false sense of safety that lulls drivers into not being alert to bridge clearances?

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Tricky-Technology-Your-GPS-Can-Have-You-Killed-83818.shtml

As it states in the caption for the photo "GPS devices should work in conjunction with drivers' common sense, not to replace it."  And that is all fine and good if practiced dilligently. But the problem with technology that we come to rely on is that we sometimes stop using our own sense.
dwbruner

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:24:33 AM »

Trooper-D,

I saw a Garmin "trucker's version" GPS device at a truck stop last week that supposedly included low bridge warnings, harzard routes, wide-load, etc.  It was $499 vs. the "civilian version" for $249-299.  I suggest checking Garmin's website or calling their tech support.

Good luck Smiley,
Darrin

Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10
BG6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:01:45 AM »

Go spend $20 on a trucker's atlas.  When planning a trip, check the tables on low bridges, etc.  If it looks good, then use the GPS but also USE YOUR EYES.  If there is a height warning sign, PAY ATTENTION and you will be just fine.
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 07:27:02 AM »

With the price of video cameras coming down so much, I have thought of mounting one on the roof to check clearances.  (haven't done, just thought about it, as with many of my projects  Smiley)

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:53 AM »

Hello all, We have been training ourselves to see the low bridges signs by calling them out as we see them. But thanks to mike's post of that picture, we will also be getting the truckers atlas for trip planning. I am sure we will find other helpful info. like truck stops, rest areas etc... There is more to think about when driving a bus then we thought about! Grin Thanks for the thread. M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: