Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 01:13:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First 09 trip...  (Read 1397 times)
travelingfools

Ignore
« on: August 01, 2009, 07:08:38 AM »

We are on our first trip this year with the bus and 220 miles later, everything went without a hitch. Used my new GPS while comming out and found my speedometer is off. The bus appears to be governed at 65mph. The good news is, that was a perfect thruway speed and the most I lost on hills was 1 or 2 mph's. We filled the tank for the first time since owning the bus and will fill it tommarrow when we start home. I cant wait to find out what Im getting for milage. We are sleeping 6 for the weekend and have people and mattress everywhere. Having a great time with family...

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:32:02 AM »

John,
   Glad to hear ya'll are enjoying your bus.  Although filling your fuel tank will give you an idea of mileage, don't be too concerned with your mileage based on 1 fill up.  It takes several tankfuls to get a good average. If you bus is sitting even a little bit off level side to side, this can easily make a difference of 10-15 gallon of fuel when filling.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 07:35:07 AM »

Way to go, I remember my first trip 25 years ago in my 4104, we only had two roof airs and a roll out sleeping bag, but what fun we had. it sure beat are usual tent camping.

LOL

John
christihargis

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 07:49:17 AM »

Great to hear you are out on the road. We have been out a 2 months now and having the time of our lives. We hope you and yours find the same. All the Best, M&C
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 05:30:56 PM »

Just got home...no problems at all with the bus. Averaged a little better thatn 7mpg. Had a great family reunuion and had a ball with the wife and kids in the bus. Back to work tommarrow and tues, then back to bus work wed. Got a little trim work to do and a bunch of rivits to shave, then paint time. Hopefully the paint guy from a local truck shop will be over Wed. to give me a price. That'll decide whether he paints it or I do. Hopefully getting started on wiring on thursday. Life is good... Grin Grin Grin

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »

Glad to hear that your trip went well! 
You got the mileage about right...6.5 to 7 MPG is about what they get in relatively flat country at something less than 65 MPH.
You're right about the speed limiter too.  Unless you've changed the EEPROM, you are rev limited to 1800 RPM, about 65 MPH.  Engine is set to 270 HP.
Fortunately, there is an easy mod to eliminate the speed limiter, RPM limiter, and increase the HP to a little over 300...which makes a noticeable difference. 
DDEC 1, has few advantages over DD II and up...but the changeable EEPROM is an advantage.
Luke had the upgraded EEPROMs at one time.  He may still have some.   That's a cheap way to improve the performance.
You speedo is not calibrated.  Mine reads 45 MPH when I'm actually going 65.   I use my GPS for a speedo.  The bus speedo reads 30 MPH at 45...at least it's repeatable.  Always the same error. 
I have been told that when NJT replaced an engine and transmission, they would install a new speedometer.
That accounts for why the buses are sold with 275K on the speedo.  That's probably the last out of the frame major overhaul.   Who knows what repairs were done in the meantime?  Mine was showing 175K..but factor in the calibration error and something over 200K seems in the ball park.
I'd guess that most NJTs have 175 to 200 K on the powertrain when they are sold to ABC.   
My worn out rear main and wear ring would support the 200K mile engine theory.   
Most of the NJTs have about 750K total chassis miles when they're auctioned.
As long as the engines have oil pressure at idle, don't smoke much, don't leak much, and run cool, they are going to last a long time in RV use.  I hope!  Roll Eyes
If you decide to change the EEPROM, there are two ECMs in the upper LH rear bay..the fowardmost ECM is the DDEC unit.  The rearward mounted ECM is the ATEC (Allison Transmission ECM).
On early MCIs, an often overlooked maintenence item is the squirrel cage blower gearbox.  Be sure and check your fan gearbox lube.  Small window at the end of a tube on the bottom of the gearbox.
Most other service items are easy to deal with.   
Remember that low coolant in the tank above the fans will result in engine shutdown.  You may already have them, but if not, get a copy of the DDEC codes and keep in the bus.   Better yet, get a DDEC 1 dx guide.  Worth its weight in gold if you have a problem.   It'll also show how to hook up your cruise control.  Cruise is already 'enabled' on you coach.   About $15 bucks worth of wiring and switches is all it takes. Very simple wiring.
Most of the '87 NJTs have a lot of life left in them.  NJT made a good effort to maintain their fleet. 
They have been pretty well picked over too...since the last came out of service in 2001.   
John, if you want to see an '87 with the an R&M cap, our bus is in BCM this month.  It's on page 22, as "JR and Terri's..."  gold color.  Bill and Phyllis Haga's '87 is also shown on the same page.  Bill's put some serious miles on his bus since he bought it.   Got the inside looking nice too. 
We've spent about a month in the bus so far this summer.   Retirement is goood!  So far... Wink
Oh well...written another book.  Gotta go now and get my BCM subscription updated...keep forgetting...got a bad case of CRS!  Huh

JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 09:27:07 AM »

Jr,

Any idea what Luke gets for the EPROMS ? Is that something I just swap out or is it more involved ? Also, my bus has a hubmeter that reads around 80,000 miles. Im guessing / hoping that was from an engine swap maby Huh? I have no smoke at all, neither when its hot or cold. I havent used any oil yet either. Ill be changing it soon and plan on getting it analized.

NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 01:43:53 PM »

I believe the EEPROMs are about $150-$200?   They aren't really expensive.
Easy to install. Just keep it square and be sure it's locked all the way in place.
I'm not sure about the Hubometer.  I've heard that NJT didn't use Hubometers on MC9s.
They may have though.  Did your bus come directly from NJT fleet?  Where there any other owners between ABC and you? 
JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.

Ayn Rand
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:11:15 PM »

A coach line out in Arizona had it before me, using it for a military contract. Its my understanding they were shuttling soldiers between bases. I wasn't able to get any info from them.

Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »

Good For You and Your Family!

I'll bet the excitement was powerful when you pulled out of your driveway!

My first overnighter was a bit different, driving the bus from Ohio to Burbank in November with no heat. Now that was an experience I'll never forget, my breath was freezing on the inside of the windshield! Shocked

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Singing Land Cruiser
Michael & Christi Hargis

Looking for another Bus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 03:16:01 PM »

That is wonderful. Now start a trend and go out often. We went for our first trip and have not returned yet Grin. All the Best, M&C

Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
Where "R" We ; Leeds, Utah
NJT5047

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 06:12:07 PM »

A coach line out in Arizona had it before me, using it for a military contract. Its my understanding they were shuttling soldiers between bases. I wasn't able to get any info from them.

I'll bet that's the mileage that the contractor put on the bus.  They likely installed the hubometer so they could keep up with service intervals.  
What is the speedometer showing?  That won't be accurate, but may give some idea of last major mileage.
Still, NJT may have sent out a low mileage powertrain...?   
NJT had highly detailed service records on our coaches.  I'm only familiar with one owner obtaining the records.   He worked at it. 
They were interesting to say the least.   They would document 'cleaning spilled soft drink'....
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: