Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 24, 2014, 07:53:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 500 Members as of May 5th, 2006.  Smiley  3,499 Members as of October 21, 2012 Cheesy

Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Generac generator... Yes or No  (Read 4632 times)
Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« on: August 02, 2009, 04:28:09 PM »

Hi,

I can get a good deal on a Generac generator but I have read and heard bad things about them. I trust the opinions of the people on this board so let fly.

Thank you,
Bob

Bob & Tracey Rice    Cedar Grove, Wi. (40mi. Milwaukee)

1956 GMC PD4104
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 04:43:10 PM »

It all depends....

If it is a WILDLY good deal, then you have to consider it...

My experience was/is with a pair of 8K diesel units, build date, circa early 90's.

Good thing the two of them were mounted in the same Command Vehicle, as one or the other was forever having problems making power. The engines were fine, it was the gen part.

I have always wondered if they would have been more reliable wired for straight 120 instead of 120/240, as they weren't balanced as well as a busnut might have made them.

Hmmm, wonder what high quality gen heads might bolt up to those 3 cylinder engines?

If I was spending regular price, I would NOT buy Generac. I would only consider it HEAVILY discounted from their prices, since they already position themselves down low.

I have heard little to no defence of the Generac product, either here, in the earlier versions, or over at BNO, in the decade I have been participating.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Lin

1965 MC-5a

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »

I once had a 3.5 Generac in another bus.  I did not like it.  I changed to a 4kw Onan which, I thought, was better, but that is not definitive.  I think that others have posted here that there are problems with warranty issues and customer service.  Take a look at past threads.

You don't have to believe everything you think.
gomer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 06:30:36 PM »

Generac is the worlds largest mgf of generators and supply about all private label equipment to Lowes Tractor Supply Home depot sears and the list goes on.  I used to be a service center for them when I was In WV and I gave it up for the small units because people would but a new unit, take it home,put gas in, fire it up Without checking the oil,and of all things would say it wasn't any good from the start.  Even found taken apart and used a pipe wrench to break them loose and put back together and then bring them in for warranty!!!!?Huh 
   The generac makes cheaper units and expensive units. I would chek out price and warranty.

Gomer

as you slid down the banister of life,may the splnters point the other way
TRUST IN GOD ALWAYS. riverjordanmusic@aim.com
Gomer
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:52:04 PM »

Generac got the bad rap from the vertical shaft gas engine generators looked good on paper.  
The only problem I ever saw with the diesel RV's generator was overheating caused by someone changing the rpm from 1950 to 1800 rpm.
They use 1950 rpm setting on the small diesels for noise and vibration control
I don't think have any more trouble with Generac than you do with other makes I installed 14- 45KW Generac units in different locations and never had a problem with service on start up
or the 3 year warranty.
If the price is right and a diesel unit I would go for it    

good luck
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:23:28 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:52:48 PM »

General consensus over the years has been- don't buy a gen-e-wreck for an RV.
Many are belt driven instead of direct-drives, many use 2 pole alternators instead of 4 pole thus requiring faster thus noisier engines, most have a reputation of being unreliable and definitely noisy.
These comments are all in line with my personal experience.  I bought one, gave it away for free a year later, and ever since have been oh-so-happy with my Onan generators, of which I own three now...
That said, there are thousands of them out there and some people are happy with them.  I'd never touch one again...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:54:54 PM by boogiethecat » Logged

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
Paladin
Dave Knight

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:47:50 PM »

I own a Generac 2,250 and a 10k as well as an Onan 6.5 and hands down I'd take the Onan gensets.
My 10k gen head smoked for no reason. The engine is great though extremely noisy which was my major complaint. I'd sure hate to park next to someone who was running one.

Unless it's a really great deal I'd keep looking for an Onan. I wish I'd gone with an Onan first off though my little 2250 is ok for it's limited use.

'75 MC-8   'Event Horizon'
8V71  HT740
Salt Lake City, Utah

"Have bus will travel read the card of the man, a Knight without armor in a savage land...."
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 09:07:15 PM »

Generac sold the portable generator division to Brighgs & Stratton a nubmer of years back. 

I strongly considered the Generac diesel due to price, but I read about enough problems that I went with Powertech instead.  Powertech has a few minor issues, but it mostly seems to be on units with lots of hours.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Bob & Tracey

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »

Thanks for the input,

I talked to a local generator dealer and he says he doesn't like either Generac or Onan for new RV generators, they both have their share of issues. He was trying to talk me into repairing our very old Onan, saying you can't buy that kind of quality in a new generator today. I will have to rethink this and maybe follow his advice.

Bob

Bob & Tracey Rice    Cedar Grove, Wi. (40mi. Milwaukee)

1956 GMC PD4104
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 02:52:50 PM »

Better known as GENERJUNK!! >>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »

I have a Powertech 10kw with solenoid controls.  It has about 1000 hours on it and have had no problems with it.  Since Powertech no longer makes the manual controls, I'm getting a 13kw Wrico that Dick will build with manual solenoid controls.  Stay away from Generac, and also Onan-expensive to work on-and they need to be worked on often.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 08:13:43 AM »

Need a little help here guys here many of you ever owned a Generac diesel powered generator I never have but have seen a lot of the units with 5 to 10,000 hrs and the owners have never had problems.
 Like Gomer stated depends on the grade the RV grade of anything is junk to me but some of you here like the stuff.  
fwiw any electronic or manual controlled unit it is going to have problems, here say is not something I put a lot of stock in.
 I have had problems with Dicks 13KW,Onan ,Generac,Powertech and the brand John 316 has in his bus  

good luck
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:02:36 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 10:30:44 AM »

I have an Onan 7.5 quiet diesel, just put a new controler in it ($811.00) with labor to
checkout and repair $1400.00.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: