Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 21, 2014, 12:58:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It takes up much less space in your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Propane tank placement 4905  (Read 1404 times)
3408cat

Ignore
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:37:15 PM »

Someone mounted my propane tank right next to the breaker box in one of the bays. I would like to move it to the spot where the stock a/c compressor was near the radiator. Would that be a good place for it ? (it will fit nicely). Thanks for any help that can be offered, Bill.
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »

I would be hesitant to install a propane tank in the engine compartment. I seem to recall code requiring propane tanks to be installed between axles (for aded collision protection). Also a full propane tank, when exposed to heat, can vent as the LP expands. I would not want mLP venting into the engine compartment (unless you want an ocasional propane injection system on your engine.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 05:08:09 PM »

Yes I am thinking of propane injection. I've seen many propane fueled farm tractors with the propane tank mounted directly over the engine. Do most people that run propane mount there tank near the engine. I'm thinking that keeping the tank away from the engine air intake would be important, (if a leak were to develop).
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 09:13:24 PM »

Yes those farm tractors do have the propane tanks directly above the engine, but it is exposed to open air.  Not like the propane tank being in the engine compartment with the high heat the engine develops.  Remember-temperature of the tank just about equals the pressure inside the tank.  Since the inside of the engine compartment can get well over 150 degrees, that would make the tank about 150lbs of pressure-getting to the critical point.  I would mount the tank elsewhere where heat will not be an issue-but also where you can properly vent the tank.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:01:08 AM »

And the tank on the tractor is being consumed when it is being exposed to heat, neatly taking care of any expansion issues.

I'd want the propane somewhere cool and away from heat or spark sources.

How about "all electric"?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:38:02 AM »

I toyed with the idea of all electric until I found out how expensive a Princess electric 3 burner stove with oven is and how many more batteries I'd have to have to run it.  I like cooking with gas, and my furnace is also propane.  Everything else is electric.  I have 2-10gal electric water heaters bought straight from Home Depot-one leading into the next with the final one powered through the inverter for hot water while driving. Simple-no problems in 14 years.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »

I'm glad I asked about tank placement , I have in the past hauled bulk propane with a tractor trailer and that had a % gauge on the trailer, and on hot days it would vent. I'm still interested in learning more about diesel/propane injection on 2 cycle non-turbo engines, if anyone has personal exprience with it please let me know.  Thanks, Bill.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: