Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 22, 2014, 03:20:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer rules  (Read 2792 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:50:31 AM »

I was reading that if your GCWR is over 26K (roughly), and you are pulling a trailer that is rated for over 10K, then you have to have a CDL. Do you all know if this is true? Our trailer is rated for 14K. We really like that capacity, and the large tires are great. We don't do it often, but when you have to take a curb, downtown in who-knows-where, then it avoids damage to the trailer. Also the larger tires have prevented damage to the trailer when hitting a deer.

So I wondered if you all knew whether we could pull our current trailer, with the bus.

Any input?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 07:02:05 AM »

I did not see in your information where you are located. Different states do it differently.
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:16:31 AM »

John,

Actually what state is your bus registered in Smiley

Skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 07:18:35 AM »

So I wondered if you all knew whether we could pull our current trailer, with the bus.

Sure you can pull that trailer with your bus. The question then becomes - How far before trouble sidelines you.
(Some have traveled several thousand mile trips with a heavy trailer, but that ain't the same as 100,000 miles.)

To get an accurate & meaningfull answer, your question can only be answered by a qualified someone who has looked at your setup.

The best answer you can get here is the one you don't want to hear & that is your bus wasn't designed to pull a heavy trailer.
If you need to pull that kind of trailer, you should be looking at something along the lines of a truck conversion.
http://www.timelinedesigns.com/kingsley/CLICK_HERE_TO_ENTER_SITE.htm

Usually it is a universal thing that over 26,000 lbs requires a CDL - with some states allowing an exception for RVs . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 07:19:49 AM »

This subject comes up all the time.  The general consensus is that it is a private vehicle (as opposed to a commercial vehicle) and you will not need a full blown CDL.  

Having said that, as Dave points out, some states require an air brake certification and/or "higher level" (*NOT*  CDL) license certification.  Most states do not have any requirement above the normal driver's license.  

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 07:21:20 AM »

At least in Calif., class C license can drive up to a 26,000gvw truck and pull up to a 10,000lb trailer.  Also, you can drive a 40ft 3-axle house car and pull a 10,000lb trailer behind.  
Your state maybe different.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml

has a decent list of where to start.

Learning the CDL requirements is a good thing, regardless of wether or not they are required by law.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
rv_safetyman

Jim Shepherd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:31:36 AM »

This thread has gone two directions: license and bus towing capability.

In my previous post I talked about the license issue and you will get more input on that, I am sure.

On the subject of capability, you will get significantly differing opinions.  I have gathered a lot of my thoughts and other resource data at:  http://www.rvsafetysystems.com/Trailer%20Towing.htm.  Every time I give my somewhat "pessimistic" or "conservative" reply, I get replies that folks have towed big trailers all over this country with no problem.  Well, one of our Eagle International owners had a partial frame failure.  I have not talked directly with him, but it sounds like it could have been major.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 07:35:57 AM »

Up here the dividing line as far as trailers go is 10,000 lbs requires a Class A license, same as for a tractor trailer.  Ontario brought out a restricted Class A largely for RV'ers who tow a house trailer over 10K.  The enforcement is actual weight, not registered weight (we don't have registered weight for trailers) or manufacturers GVWR.  Now, the point that I've failed to get adequately clarified is if the weight that counts is the total trailer weight (tongue plus weight on wheels) or trailer weight transmitted to the ground via the wheels (total less tongue weight).  They measure trailer weight both ways  up here, and they don't say which applies to the drivers license.

The issue is the drivers license issued by your state, and what your state requires for towing trailers, as well as what license your state requires for total combined weight.  There is by and large reciprocity between all states and all Canada provinces as far as drivers licenses are concerned, so if you are legal in your state of licence, you will be legal anywhere.  You still need to comply with all road laws as far as things like vehicle length, towing doubles, max weight on various axles, all of that, reciprocity only applies to the drivers license.

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 07:44:49 AM »

In the interests of needlessly over-complicating things, in the true spirit of drivers licensing agencies everywhere   Shocked...

It's very possible that an RV (our bus) is towing a non-RV (our car trailer), then the trailer rules applicable to non-RV use would apply.  Lot's of times people create these long lists of rules assuming that the trailer is the RV, not the tow vehicle.  You know what happens when you assume...

Plus would I take the word of an anonymous person over the phone over what is written in the legislation - I don't think so...

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:39:10 AM »

Brian,

The only reason I am answering this is my experience with U-Haul. 10,000 pounds seems to be the maximum weight of a car trailer (3500 pounds, give or take 500 based on individual design), and, say a minivan or 4x4 fully loaded (Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (empty 4100 pounds). Throw another 1/2-1 ton of "stuff" in or on the trailer(ATV and fuel?), and you are looking at around 9000 pounds. And my weights I dare say, a pretty liberal.

Doug

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »

Doug, car trailer is indeed a liberal thing... and worthy of careful scrutiny at times.  My own personal car trailer is 28' enclosed with two 5500 lb axles, for a logical weight rating of in the range of 12,000 plus, taking tongue weight into account.  Carefully ordered by me with a GVWR of less than 10,000 lbs, or the metric equivalent for Ontario use...  No way did I want a trailer rated over the magic number...  But my buddy has a 45' fifth wheel, GVWR 25,000 lbs, with a full RV section up front, and he has an A class license.  My Ontario D class license allows me to drive the bus (configured as a motorhome) and tow my trailer (which is typically loaded less than 7,000 lbs).  If it still had seats in it, I would need a C class license. a bus is defined as over 12 seats.  If I ever transported school age children with it as a bus, I would need a B class license (school bus).  I've been told that all highway coach drivers up here have to have school bus licenses for that very reason.  And Z Airbrake endorsement, naturally...

Brian

Vintage race cars -
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »

John, one thing I would suggest doing is to have an actual copy of the Motor Vehicle Code with you and the section or sections that apply to you, allowing you to do whatever it is you want to do or are doing, marked and at least be somewhat familiar with them.

It is one thing to have some Highway Patrol officer or someone at the Motor Vehicle department tell you something, but when you can refer in the code book to a specific section or more that apply...that is where the rubber meets the road!

Good luck.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 06:38:50 PM »

Thanks a lot guys. The bus is registered in Kansas.

Here are a couple of things. I thought that the each state's rules apply. So meaning, if I am driving in Missouri, our rig has to meet their rules. Is that the case?

Second off, I will double check, but we don't need a CDL for driving just the bus. However, I thought that I read somewhere that ANY vehicle combination of 26K or greater AND pulling a trailer that is titled over 10K requires a CDL. So with our 3/4 ton truck, I can pull our 12K rated flatbed trailer, and not have a problem. But, if we have the bus, and are pulling the 14K rated cargo trailer, then that takes a CDL. I wondered if any of you guys ran into this issue?

I do think that our bus can pull the trailer. The only problem is, making sure that the engine supports are strong enough Grin. I don't doubt the power, or stopping of the bus, with a trailer that is loaded to 14K. I only will want to watch the supports....

DaveG, is the "code" book universal to all states (federal thing), or is it state to state?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
compedgemarine

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 07:03:58 PM »

Hey John
one thing to also keep in mind is that each state has their own laws on various aspects of the trailer. right before the Gator Nationals drag race in Gainsville, FL, Florida put a law in place that ANY trailer over 20 or 24 foot (I forget the exact size) had to have a travel permit to enter the state. it did not matter what vehicle was towing it. I dont know what became of that law but regardless of what any book says you will be subject to the opinion of the officer that feels like stopping you so it would work to your advantage to know what each state lays out as its rule.
good luck
steve
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: