Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 30, 2014, 11:16:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription:  It will not get lost in the mail.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailer rules  (Read 2828 times)
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »

John,

I pull a trailer, 3000ibs plus car 2500 lbs, ( plus Paul's 5000 lb windows.) I am running car tyres, What size and type of tyres are you running?

Thanks

John

PS I was joking Paul's windows dont weigh that much,, 3000lbs is more like it...
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 03:58:43 AM »

John,

I pull a trailer, 3000ibs plus car 2500 lbs, ( plus Paul's 5000 lb windows.) I am running car tyres, What size and type of tyres are you running?

Thanks

John

PS I was joking Paul's windows dont weigh that much,, 3000lbs is more like it...

You must mean that all the glass is still there! Grin

Sorry for the hijack John, I couldn't resist!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 04:41:39 AM »

Thanks a lot guys.

Steve, that is what I figured. We have to abide by every state's rules, that we are in.

So I guess my question is whether I would be okay in all states, but I will just have to check that our myself.

John, I will check and see what size tires. I think they are....no I won't say before I check.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Ednj

Ed & Sue Skiba

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 05:43:21 AM »

Does this help? Huh
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 05:47:26 AM »

Thanks Ed, That does help a ton! Thanks!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Gary LaBombard
"Rustless Money Pit"

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 06:19:40 AM »

John,

I do not have anything to offer on the weight limit you can pull on your trailer etc. but I can tell you I was really nervous pulling a car trailer behind my RV and going from SC all the way up to Illinois and back and going through several states on the way.  The reason, You do not have to have your private trailer licensed here in SC and this law applies as you travel from the state your main vehicle is licensed in. 

I called the State Police in every state I was to travel in to confirm this and every state except one officer in Illinois said that if I traveled in their state and he / She saw my vehicle without a tag on it he would ticket and possible arrest me!!  I called another barricks in Ill. and the second SP officer said this officer was wrong that he recommended to  carry all your information about  the load limit and vehicle number of the trailer and your license & information about your tow vehicle load limits from the state you live in and you are good to go.  The second state police officer stated that the first police officer that would arrest me needs to read his trooper DOT manual again about inter state road rules that apply to private travelers.   Commercial transporting, well that is a different rule all together I know nothing about at all and don't care to.

I have to tell you also though that I made sure I had good tires, all my lights worked and my load was properly covered and tied down securely.  To make things worse on this trip, my load was spare 8V71 I purchased from one of our busnuts on this board.  The worse thing was my RV broke down and I had to be towed off the interstate, trailer hooked up and all.  Anyhow we made it home alright without legal incident but all the laws that pertain to your state you are living and licensed in pertain to your total trip through all states in the lower continent of USA as I see it.  Just be sure to bring all paperwork with you to prove this. 

The weight size & load size of your trailer I cannot comment on but do recommend you check and have your load weighed if you are in question.  It is worth the cost of the weight certification to also have.  If you are sure you are not over weight or even close, you look good to go from me but do all the checking you can first.

Be sure your braking system on your trailer is legally connected and operational during your trips and reduced speed will do much in making you appear to be a very safe motorist having an enjoyable trip.

I must of felt that this was important to write so darn much, sorry again as usual.
Gary

Gary
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 06:27:36 AM »

John, you started out asking if you needed a CDL to tow over 10,000 lbs, then shifted to will the vehicle be legal in all/some States.  I'm not positive that it's been understood that the two questions are fundamentally different.  Your drivers license - if you are licensed to drive your rig, if you need a special rating, an air brake endorsement, a CDL - is purely down to your State's driver licensing requirements.  If you are legal to drive whatever you are driving with the license that your State has issued you, then all other States offer reciprocity.

Your vehicle is another story.  Your vehicle has to meet all the laws and regulations of whatever State or Province you are driving in.  It has to meet length laws, weight laws, width laws, and all of that wherever it goes.  There is no reciprocity for vehicle regulations.

Just wasn't sure if that had come out.  Example is that Ontario does not have CDL's, our licenses are purely based on  weights and purpose of the vehicle.  If the vehicle is commercial or not is irrrelevant.

Cheers, Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 07:02:22 AM »

John, I traveled all of the USA with trailers and tow vehicles behind my unit and never had a problem.
The rub comes when you are traveling with a large trailer going to shows or other events to sell out of that trailer for expample traveling with a find of mine we went through a check station and he gave the guy a card with the info of things he sold on the road at shows and events it was game over for him 1800 bucks worth of fines.
And if you can stay out of the great state of CO. I would they charged me 40 dollars to take a horse trailer across their state. 
Point is if you make any monies using your bus and trailer you better be setup with CDL and DOT inspection or the man will get you   

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 07:58:14 AM »

Luvrbus

And if you can stay out of the great state of CO. I would they charged me 40 dollars to take a horse trailer across their state.  
good luck

Could you explain............My friend and I hauled horses to Denver area twice a year for 3 years when his daughter was in vet school and never got stopped once.
  You were using the trailer for its designed intent weren't you Shocked

Couldn't resist
  Skip
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:06:11 AM by poppi » Logged

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 08:32:52 AM »

Skip, I bought a new 6 horse slant load trailer in OK and taking to the Idaho place at the LImon station they had a sign all dealers plate which I had so I stopped 40 bucks and 30 minutes of debate I was on my way.
If you stop at one their stations they will get you for 40 bucks.
And if you really want to get into a mess deal with those guys on the SME tag for equipment.
When I did a job in Golden in the late 80's they charged me over 15 grand to buy tags to remove my equipment from that great state.   

good luck

poppi

mci 8 L10 ZF tranmission; helena

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 08:39:52 AM »

Thanks!
 Learned a new one on that.

By the By most states have licencing issues if you are doing work in their state for more than 30 days. Biggest problem
 is if you are in and out of the state during a 30 day period........they all want money, some are just more proactive.

skip

Snow disappeared......Now where did I put that bus?
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 01:31:08 PM »

Hey Clifford, Will you please bring your equipment into the state a couple of more times we need some money to build a bridge or two

Thank You for your contibution Wayne
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 01:54:04 PM »

Very funny Wayne coming from a guy who know all about that SME tag and pays the price every year.
No thanks on coming back to work there they made a believer out of me the first time  
 good luck and tell Lynn hi for us
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 02:26:38 PM by luvrbus » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: