Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
August 30, 2014, 03:09:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On my shopping list...an awning  (Read 1354 times)
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2006, 03:32:04 PM »

One of the items near the top of my shopping list is an awning for my MC5A.   Like most, one of the first I looked at was ZipDee.
Everyone would love to have that quality but...whew!  So, I'm  keeping my big ears open and my big mouth shut while you fellas give me the benefit of your wisdom. Wink

I haven't done any serious measuring because I'm, frankly, as green as grass when it comes to these things.  My guess is that I'm going to need a patio type awning and some smaller ones for the bedroom, etc. Embarrassed

Please guys, lay your best on me.  Cheesy

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 03:42:16 PM »

Hi Bob,

Go see A&E's line of awnings and let me know what you think. I'll be able to guide you through sizing and hardware.

http://www.dometicusa.com/awnings.php

Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:45:25 PM »

Try Bob's RV Salvage in High Springs, Florida 386-454-5733. That is where we bought our used ZipDee. He had several, most off of Airstream trailers, so thay had curved arms. I had to straighten the curve slightly to match the curve on our MC-8. The only problem you might have is that he does not ship. If he has one and you are not in a hurry, we could pick it up on our way the Dallas & Cat's.  Measure your coach and make sure it extends beyond all of your baggage doors.  We also purchased our window awnings from him.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Dallas

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 04:46:56 PM »

Bob,
I just came into possesion of 3 20' or 21' very used Awnings. 2 are Carefree of Colorado and one is an A&E. I'm going to use one of the carefree ones for my bus, but if anyone wants them, there should be enough parts in the other 2 to make 1 good one.
The fabric is shot, but you can pick that stuff up by the pound at Sharons Discount Flea Market in Statesville, NC and you mught need to fix some other stuff.

This offer is open to anyone else too, except that Bob has right of first refusal.
These are not for sale, so I think I'm OK in offering them here. 
THEY ARE FREE FREE FREE!

Oh, and I don't ship..... you gotta come get them.

Dallas
NCbob

"Foolish Pleasure" 35' MC5A

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 06:39:14 PM »

Dallas, once again.  YOU ARE MY HERO!  We'll talk off the board...probably tomorrow.  What a guy! Cheesy

Bob

True friends are difficult to find, hard to leave and impossible to forget.
centrix29
Prevost Proud

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 07:34:25 PM »

I bought my Carefree form RVSurplus Salvage in Elkhart, In.  I am very satisfied.  Got the curved arms for my Prevost to go with it.  Got them painted black and they look good.  The awning is fabric instead of vinyl and and I am very pleased.

Pat
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 08:40:44 PM »

I've only had the awning that came with my bus. So I have a limited opinion.

- try to get it to go over the door
- power would be nicer

splurge for one of these! http://www.girardrv.com/g2000.html!! Cool

Life is too short to cuss at an awning Angry. and get the case for when you rub it on a tree limb Shocked.

Misses NCBob can put it out or in, or you can get the rain sensor to do it automatically if it rains.

no down poles to get in the way or walk around, or hit your head on.

When your not driving, the awning is your living room.  You drive your bus to the place you want to put the awning out.  I've used mine more in the driveway than any where else.  it's just a good place to sit and have a beverage.

I recommend it to as one of the first things purchased by converters.

just my opinion since you asked

Cool

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
Dale MC8

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 08:08:41 AM »

Hey Dallas; I may rain on someone else's parade with this suggestion, but........ If you have two awnings, consider installing one on the street side of your coach. I have done this with the last two S&S's I had and (look at the pic of my coach) am putting a long one and a short one on each side of my coach. I really enjoy being able to sit in the shade on either side. I don't need window awnings either.
Just my way.
Dale MC8

Dale MC8

In Theory, theory and practice are the same.
In Practice, they aren't.
Dallas

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 08:49:10 AM »

Dale,

I may do that if Bob doesn't want both of the extras.
It would be nice to be able to pick which side to put the awning out on instead of having to make sure I'm far enough from the next space on one side.

Dallas
Big Tom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 09:40:49 PM »

We have had good luck with Carefree awnings.  Best RV out of Santee CA covers the desert SW pretty well with their installers and price is good.

For window awnings we chose the ones made of material like the windshield shade covers.  They provide good shade, but you can see through them and they deflect bulk of rain, just let a fine mist through.  Really nice to not have the view blocked.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: