Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 24, 2014, 01:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It can be read on any computer, iPad, smart phone, or compatible device.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Personal exprience w/ 2 cycle Detroits & Propane injection  (Read 2987 times)
3408cat

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »

In knowing that injecting propane in diesel engines is very controversial, does anyone have any advise that is based on personal experience with non-turbo 2 cycle Detroit engines and propane injection ? I'm interested in learning about setting up a system on a 6-71n and a 8v-71n. I have owned and worked on heavy equipment and trucks from the 1900 - 1980s. I guess what I'm trying to get across is I'm knowledgeable about older engines, but not well versed about conversion buses - (yet). If you have any info, for or against, please point me in the right direction. Thanks, Bill.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »

I never used it but have a friend that does on his 8v92 TA and likes it also Don Fairchild  on this  board has a system on his pickup maybe he will chime in.
If you don't get any response I will PM my friends # and you can talk to him.        good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
Don Fairchild

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 02:49:48 PM »

Run it thru a skinner valve and fog it into the blower as a gas not a liquid.

On my truck, I run  an rv regulator then to a skinner valve then just spray it in after the air filter. It boils off in the charge air cooler before entering the engine. I am using a 3/32 orifice and get 60hp out of it. I can go bigger with the orifice and get as much as 250hp but I don't need it. Propane for me is a play toy.

Go for it

Don
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:02:41 PM »

Do you know of the names of any companies were I can buy the parts I'll be needing ?
Lee Bradley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:49 PM »

On my truck, I run  an rv regulator then to a skinner valve then just spray it in after the air filter. It boils off in the charge air cooler before entering the engine. I am using a 3/32 orifice and get 60hp out of it. I can go bigger with the orifice and get as much as 250hp but I don't need it. Propane for me is a play toy.

Go for it

Don

How much of the HP is from the propane and how much from cooling the air? 
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 05:30:02 PM »

Go for it

Don

Just curious how long would a 20lb tank last with this setup (hours)

Lonnie

1976 4905
Stormcloud
FMCA#407220

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 06:30:17 AM »

What about using propane in a non-turbo engine?

Mark Morgan    near Brandon, Manitoba, Canada
1972 MCI-7     'PapaBus'  8v-71N MT654 Automatic
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »

Okay, bus dummie here...what is a skinnner valve?
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 05:25:38 AM »

Okay, bus dummie here...what is a skinnner valve?

A Skinner valve is an electrically controlled air valve. Skinner is a brand name usually used when referring to electrically controlled air valves used on buses, as most are made by the Skinner company.
   They can be normally open (NO) or normally closed (NO) and can be purchased with different size orifices. When used for propane injection, you would use a NC valve. Applying power to the valve would cause it to open and allow propane to enter the engine.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 07:54:10 AM »

I'm hoping that I'm understanding it right, most propane systems are used on 4 cycle turbo charged engines where in the boost sensor signals, (energizes) the skinner valve to open. With a non-turbo set up the driver would have to read the engine and manually operate a switch to the skinner valve Huh Only turning it on when the engine is strongly gain rpms and not lugging Huh With a 2 cycle would there be a problem with the blower pushing propane in the cylinder during the exhaust part of the stroke through the ports in the cylinder wall and out the exhaust Huh
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 08:31:49 AM »

Thanks Jack.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »

Go to your local propane dealer and buy a 12V "lock-off" valve, run it thru an acetelyne regulator, then to the lock-off to control it, then to the plenem above the blower.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
3408cat

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 01:18:17 PM »

Thanks Dan, What size/kind of nozzle/jet should I use ? What would be a good pressure to set the regulator at ? Should I plumb up two jets, a large and a smaller one for a high and low setting ? Thanks again, Bill.
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2009, 08:27:28 PM »

I have mine set at 15 Lbs. at the regulator, it all depends on how large is the lock-off valve opening, I had to use two valves in parallel
to get enough flow. My tank is 68 Gal. laydown type and it lasts me for months.>>>Dan

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Utahclaimjumper

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2009, 08:30:41 PM »

Dont worry about nozzles and such, just plumb it into the plenum above the blower for evan distrubution, I use two valves with two #4 aircraft hoses into the plenum

Utahclaimjumper 
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: