Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 22, 2014, 08:12:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not turn yellow, get musty, dusty, and mildewed or fade.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MCI 102A No turn signals, hazards reverse lights or speedo?  (Read 1260 times)
TNT

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:28:16 PM »

Hello All, Well we just bought our first bus. It was safetied last week but after getting it home there are no turn signals,hazards or reverse lights and the speedo only reads about 35mph when it is doing closer to 65mph..( apparently it all worked for the safety) Any chance it is all connected or would they be separate issues?  It is a 86 102 A2.  Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thanks Rob
skolbibp

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 06:39:26 PM »

If the speedometer runs off the front wheel you may need to switch the sender wires around on the back of the head.  It would be the 2 center wires.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:06:46 PM »

Safety inspection by whom?

The seller?

This smells bad.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
TNT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »

Yes, The safety was done by the sellers mech. The Seller is stand up know him for 15yrs.. the mech is more heavy truck then bus. So he isn't finding the problem super fast.  The Speedo was working properly last week when we test drove it.  Thanks again
NJT 5573

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »

Rob, 

It's not unusual to have some electrical issues if its been sitting for awhile. Find the breakers and clean the contacts. Check the bulbs, and make sure you don't have a lense full of water shorting a breaker.

Sometimes I have to leave my signals on for a couple of miles before they want to work, then they stay good. Don't know why, but it was worse before I parked it inside all the time.

"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high
TNT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 02:13:46 AM »

Rob, 

It's not unusual to have some electrical issues if its been sitting for awhile. Find the breakers and clean the contacts. Check the bulbs, and make sure you don't have a lense full of water shorting a breaker.

It has been sitting for about a year I did find 1/4 " of water in the front signal housing but not enough to reach the bulb. .. Where would I look for " breakers " or do you mean the under the Drivers window?  or is there a actual fuse/breaker panel?.  and I just haven't found it yet.. Thanks Rob
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 04:36:07 AM »

Rob, On my 102A3 the breaker for the turn signal and hazards are one in the same and is of the resetable type. That means that if there is a momentary short, the breaker will trip and then reset itself. The fact that both these items are not functioning indicates it may be the flasher itself or the breaker failed completely. The breaker is located in the outside panel under the drivers window while the flasher is mounted on the firewall straight up from the high beam on/off switch.

If it were me, I would start by removing the flasher from the firewall and bench test it. One word of caution, the flasher has 24 volts to it all the time so make sure you open the main battery disconnect before you reach in to pull the flasher.

Once you have the breaker out of the way, you can close the main battery disconnect and check for voltage at the hot terminal end.

If the flasher checks out OK then it either the breaker has failed or as others have suggested, water may be causing the breaker to short out.

Hope this helps,

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 01:03:27 PM »

I would check your grounds to make sure there isn't a common ground broken for the lights.  Sorry, I don't own a MCI so I can't tell you where to look.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TNT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »

Ok it has been sitting at the mech for 3 days he went out to try it and it all works!!!? Now what? once we get her back I will pull the breaker and clean the contacts etc . He didn;t say anything about the speedo. So it may still be down.. Thanks for all the advise and ideas so far..  Rob
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »

Ok it has been sitting at the mech for 3 days he went out to try it and it all works!!!? Now what? once we get her back I will pull the breaker and clean the contacts etc . He didn;t say anything about the speedo. So it may still be down.. Thanks for all the advise and ideas so far..  Rob

The circuit breakers are sealed and cannot to opened. Only option is to replace the breaker if you feel it is the problem.  Since they are working now, I would be more inclined to think it is a poor connection.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 03:30:02 PM »

I agree with Jack.  Tighten every connection you can find. It may fail again in a few minutes or not for weeks.

Are you sure the back up lights worked properly before? If they did, it pretty much eliminates the flasher as the problem and you need to check the schematics for what is common between the turn signals and back up lights.

If you can't be sure they were working the the problem may or may not be related to both.

Remote trouble shooting is difficult at best.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: