Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 26, 2014, 12:57:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eagle vs MC9  (Read 5636 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:19 AM »

Setra are great buses when speaking with my friend at Arrow Stage he told me parts where about 40% higher for the Setra than they other brands they run but he loves the S417 even with the recalls they have had several so I am told.
They are not a good candidate for conversions I am told because of the height you need to lower the floors and redo the baggage door.
Cole has a 2005 S417 model in his shop he is doing that too terrible waste of a good looking and very expensive bus LOL.
I will stay out of the bus vs bus thing being I own Eagles.

JLV Norris gave you some bad info on the suspension parts not being made any longer like Wayne said the 01 is the only Eagle with new suspension parts availability problem.
Too bad the 4501 didn't last long after the Eagles hit the road LOL

Life is short drink the good wine first
cody

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:57 AM »

All of the suspension parts for eagle are available, each part thru silver eagle and from other sources, still being made but on the pricey side, like anything else in bus world, once it's fixed, a normal person shouldn't ever need to have to do it again.  Did I say normal person? wow.  I haven't had a part that I needed that napa didn't have so maybe I've been lucky but still got the parts that I needed when I needed them.  One thing that I enjoy is rumbling into a park with the DD growling and watching the people turn and stare, doesn't matter what bus your in, the looks are still great, course when you park they still want to know if your famous in an eagle lol.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 08:00:59 AM »

The only Eagleastic (torsalastic) suspension that is not available at Silver Eagle is for the 01 rear axle, but I am told by a very reputable source, they will be manufactured soon. They have all of the other ones available. And like has been said, they are available from other sources. You just have to have deep pockets! They do last a very long time if kept adjusted properly. Wink At least no air leaks to worry about on the suspension, unless of course you have added air bags like a few have done, right Sonnie! Roll Eyes

HTH,

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2009, 08:59:30 AM »

Ilya ,you bet you'd be patriotic,hey keep us informed with what you find out about that eagle in Omaha,pics etc ;)good luck

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2009, 09:08:21 AM »

Ilya,

What about this bus in Omaha? I must have missed it...You got more info?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:34 AM »

John,this is all we have right now,hopefully more will be forthcoming
http://omaha.craigslist.org/rvs/1310084062.html

ilyafish

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2009, 09:28:29 AM »

yup....still waiting on an email with more pics and info.

Thanks again guys!!

Own: 1981 MCI MC9 w/
Veggie Oil Conversion
Live:  Flemington, NJ

1 Corinthians 9:19-22
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

Whether we like it or not, every product and service you can imagine depends on the free market. If a product stinks or has the reputation of such, they will not last long. That includes buses. EAGLE had it's share of flubs but SILVER EAGLE seems to be trying to make an impression on the market. INTERNATIONAL TRUCK last I heard is wanting to get into the coach business so that should be interesting to see how that MAXFORCE engine is accepted by coach operators.
Van
Billy Van Hagen

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2009, 10:02:03 AM »

Anyone in the Omaha/Des Moines area that could lay an eyeball on this bus?

luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:28 AM »

FWIW Milton International Truck is in the coach business (not the bus) named Monaco.I hope they make it but the S&S business is tough right now.
I think I would have kept my 50 million instead of buying a bankrupt S&S Co    

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
pd4501-771
Tom McNally

PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »

Too bad the 4501 didn't last long after the Eagles hit the road LOL

Be careful there.....thems fight'n words! Better check your facts. The 4501 Scenicruiser was in revenue service longer than any other single model. Over 20 years +. Thats just with GH, not to mention Private charter service.

Tom

PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com
cody

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 10:28:11 AM »

I'm thinking he meant years in production for the scenics, there are many charter companies using older buses especially the specialized lines, we've got a couple up here that use the old silversides for their short runs but they are more a curiousity like a steam train, or a sternwheeler, a schooner or an MCI lol, running for cover now lol.lol Grin Grin
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 10:33:21 AM »

I failed to make my point clearly so my flub. I had forgotten about MONACO being part of the IC empire now but I saw an article on BUSRIDE that told of IC getting into the over the road bus business in 2010. This was in October of '08 so they may have thought twice since then. So the bus I saw may well have been a MONACO body adapted for seated coach work.
CrabbyMilton

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »

I'll save you the trouble.......http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/NAV/489293010x0x239031/ffdaf3d5-765e-460c-b2e7-3f6cbb8ce2d8/NAV_News_2008_10_6_General.pdf
kyle4501

PD4501 South Carolina

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 10:51:10 AM »

I think it would be premature to choose a particular make bus when your budget is of primary concern.

It would seem to me the prudent action would be to seek out ALL coaches in your price range & choose the best from what you find. Sometimes, the best money spent on a bus is the return trip home after looking at one. . . .

There are some really nice units out there to be had for a song - especially if you know what to look for.

Gary Labombard made a CD that documented all the places on his bus that had rust & how he dealt with the corrosion.   http://community.webshots.com/user/converter101

The GM buses are lighter than the other brands (Bluebird being one of the heaviest) & less weight cost less to move down the road.
A friend has PD4501-738 & gets 10+ mpg with a 8V71 & 4 speed manual. It weighed 25,000 after he removed the seats. . . .
He is retired & doesn't get in a hurry going down the roads. . .

Believe what you want, but the facts are that the GM PD4501 set the standard for all buses that followed:
first with standard A/C
first with standard washroom
first with HUGE bays
first 40 footer
power steering was also standard
supported by 10 tires & 12 air bags = very smooth ride
only GM PD series bus with a T-drive
under 11' tall
Most distinctive bus ever built.

However, the dropped aisle made for a terrible conversion choice.
Greyhound used them for 20 years before selling them off beginning in the early mid 70's. You can bet they were in need of maintenance when they were sold - & also a safe bet most didn't get the proper service after leaving greyhound . . . .

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. (R.M. Nixon)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: