Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 23, 2014, 07:59:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: New ownership began September 1st 2012!  Please send any comments to info@busconversions.com
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tank monitors  (Read 3298 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: August 11, 2009, 08:36:35 AM »

I have been looking through the archives, and didn't see any good responses.

What do you guys like for your tank monitors. Our tanks are coming with the metal strips, and we have to find our monitoring system.  I know that the most fool proof way is by looking at them, but that won't work very well for us...We need some monitoring system that will tell us when they are empty, full, etc.

Ideas?

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:54:24 AM »

John, the Raritan monitor for marine use is the best for those type systems don't buy the cheap RV monitors      good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
tasmankdr

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:11:34 AM »

We did a lot of research before we bought Marine monitors for our bus......Head Hunter is the brand name.......They work really great........easy to install.....good luck
JackConrad
Orange Blossom Special II
Global Moderator

73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

We have the system that uses the metallic strips on the plastic tanks (Acu-Gauge) and we find the accuracy to be very inconsistant. We are thinking about replacing them with this system.    http://www.catconproducts.com/rv.htm    Any comments from users of this system.  Jack

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 09:39:38 AM »

Just another RV montior Jack they are in use in S&S jobs like Monoco the one in my wife's son in laws coach just works about 1/2 the time a good marine unit is the way to go   

good luck

belfert

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:28:29 AM »

What does the Raritan monitor do that other tank monitors with strips on the side of the tank don't do?  It doesn't look to be any different than the expensive RV systems that use strips on the tank to monitor level.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:32:29 AM »

It works Belfert and from the sound John 316 has marine tanks with strips molded into the tank
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:34:06 AM by luvrbus » Logged

JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »

PRICES!!!!

You better let your fingers do the walking.  The price spread for the cheapest model for 4 tanks goes from $267 to $457.

Thanks, Cliff

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
TomCat
It's 4:20 somewhere...

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:19 AM »

We have the system that uses the metallic strips on the plastic tanks (Acu-Gauge) and we find the accuracy to be very inconsistant. We are thinking about replacing them with this system.    http://www.catconproducts.com/rv.htm    Any comments from users of this system.  Jack

Yes, I installed this system new when I was converting...I went with the  System Monitor 2.

Just about as easy to install as it could be.

Uses standard 4 conductor phone cables for connection.

Even if you don't have a hole in your tank for the sensor, Catcon can still give you a sensor that works without modifying your tank, by
placing the sensor in the inlet/outlet line for your tank.

HTH

Jay
87 SaftLiner

On The High Plains of Colorado
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 12:20:30 PM »

Sorry guys. I just checked, and I discovered that we ordered the tanks with sensors in them. 100% 75% 50% 25%. I am really not exactly sure with what they are. I think I was wrong about the strips though.

I am kinda leaning towards the Catcon, because I talked to the guy, and he seemed reasonable. I will check with him about the warranty, and what if it breaks, etc.

Clifford, thanks for the idea. I am still looking at them. The problem is, they are quite a bit more $$$. We have to watch that you know Grin. However, I want a good solution, and I don't want to be penny wise, and pound foolish.

I just placed an order for two water pumps. They are the 5.7 (I think, maybe it was 5.5) shurflo micro processor units, per your recommendations. Those were pricey little guy. 560.70 total.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
boogiethecat

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 12:44:11 PM »

You're gonna love this... my girlfriend is my tank monitor!  When she sees an inch of stinky greywater in the shower tub, she lets me know it's time to dump the tanks! Works amazingly well!
(this is actually not a joke... I've had to clean the tub more than once, but it works reliably!)

Boogie

1962 Crown
San Diego, Ca
NewbeeMC9
NewbeeMC9

1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 12:58:36 PM »

You're gonna love this... my girlfriend is my tank monitor!  When she sees an inch of stinky greywater in the shower tub, she lets me know it's time to dump the tanks! Works amazingly well!
(this is actually not a joke... I've had to clean the tub more than once, but it works reliably!)

Boogie

Maybe you should post some pics of this system in action Wink Cheesy

I guess your tank is vented thru the roof. Smiley

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. Wink
bobofthenorth

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 01:03:09 PM »

I obviously haven't seen every monitor made but every one I have seen eventually quit working.  If you are designing from a bare slate I'd build in a simple visual confirmation anywhere possible.  Obviously you don't want an overflow valve on the black tank but there's no reason not to put one on the fresh tank.  Open the valve, fill until water runs out, stop filling - Q.E.D.  A peephole to see the level on the black and grey tanks wouldn't be impossible with translucent plastic tanks - I'm not sure what the guys with SS are supposed to do but based on my experience you can go to the bank that your sensors will fail later if not sooner.

I have a wife monitor on my grey tank that works similarly to Boogie's but there are issues with that system as well as I'm sure he'll discover if he decides to convert GF101 to Wife Model 100.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
My website
Our weblog
Simply growing older is not the same as living.
oldmansax
Tom & Phyllis

'82 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »

Jack,

I bought and installed the AcuGauge system also. I am not going to say it is worthless because it does LOOK like you have tank monitors. But, other than that, I have not found a use for them other than to tell me the lights on the panel still work. I would never buy or recommend them.

TOM
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:08:50 AM by oldmansax » Logged

'82 BlueBird WanderLodge PT40 being rebuilt
Delaware

DON'T STEAL! The government hates competition!
WEC4104

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »

I guess I need some schooling here ( and I'm sure somebody will step up)...   As far as I have been able to determine, most of the RV gauge systems use a collection of electrical probes or a strip of metal inside the tank.  These devices use the fact that the liquid in the tank conducts electricity. The level in the tank determines how many probes have a completed electrical circuit.  

A problem lies in the fact that the tanks get pretty "gunky" inside.  The probes get covered with layers that don't conduct electricity well, and the systems fail to register properly.  So, for systems that use this type of technology, the weak link in the chain seems to me to be the sensors in the tank.  You can have a real fancy display panel inside the bus, but if the sensors are mucked up, will it make any difference?   I dunno, maybe the expensive systems send 12 VDC (or more) to the sensors and are able to pull a signal where cheap systems using 5 VDC cannot.  Maybe the expensive systems have gold plated sensors with a muck resistant finish?   ... just seems to me that if the sensors can do their job, there is no real magic and I could cobble together a panel of LEDs myself.

Now if the gauge system utilizes ultrasonic sensors or some other technology, it is an entirely different ballgame.    

What am I missing?

If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: