Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 23, 2014, 06:35:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: You can zoom in to make the text larger and easier to read.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 12v wiring  (Read 3794 times)
Melbo

MC8 under construction

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 06:43:55 PM »

I don't remember where it came from but I know you are not supposed to run low voltage in a conduit with 120 volt wires.  Maybe a city inspector tagged me for that when we had a sprinkler control wire running in a conduit with the outside yard lites but I know you are supposed to keep em separate. If the 120 is in metal you can use plastic for the low voltage or vice versa but you can't run them both in plastic parallel next to each other. Also watch your cross section fill ratios and conductor count in each conduit.  I always seem to want to add something and don't have a large enough conduit ( to dissipate heat ) or already have too many conductors in the conduit ( neutrals don't count ). Just my thoughts.

Melbo

If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF
travelingfools

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 11:22:12 AM »

Hi all..new here and new to the building process...I understand that it is correct to use stranded wire instead of romex in conversions, I was just wondering the reasons for this...

So much to learn...

John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT
FloridaCliff

"The Mighty GMC"

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 12:52:22 PM »

Stranded is way more tolerent to the flexing that will take place in a moving vehicle.

Stranded is standard in planes, boats, cars and trucks.

Many have reported using romex and securing it well with no problems.

I'm just one of those guys that doesn't like to push my luck, so I used THHN or SOOJ.

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain
pvcces

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 08:56:53 PM »

Besides, it's very easy to make a good crimp connection with stranded wire, but not so with solid.

For what it's worth.

Tom Caffrey
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska

Tom Caffrey PD4106-2576
Suncatcher
Ketchikan, Alaska
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: