Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 02:32:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If your computer is lost, damaged, or stolen, your Online mags will be safe.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8V71 options  (Read 2784 times)
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 07:24:40 AM »

Ed, I think it 1973 0r 74 about the time the 92 series hit the market and FWIW the 92 series have 3 different blocks     

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 08:44:29 AM »

Surprisingly, the bus manufacturers did use the same 8V-71N in most of their buses.  Usually two horsepower settings.  For lighter buses, the N55 injector was used for 257hp and 680lb/ft torque.  In heavier buses the N60 was used for 280hp and 740lb/ft torque.  I can remember in the early 70's going in an Eagle 01 to Mammoth and pulling the hill with a very full bus at 25 mph in second gear.  This is also why any increase in horsepower, like turbocharging the engine results in big increases in performance.  My engine with turbocharging and air to air intercooling is putting out 375hp and 1125lb/ft torque at the dyno.  It really wakes up the 8V-71 and flattens out the hills making driving much more enjoyable.  While my mileage has not improved, it still is the same-but with the increase in performance and less smoking at altitude, I simply love it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
RickB

81 MCI 9 smooth side 8V71 Allison 754

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2009, 02:42:34 PM »

TomC,

I am reminded of the movie Broadcast News when William Hurt's Character asks Albert Brooks Character:

"What do you do when your real life exceeds your dreams"?

to which he replies:

"Keep it to yourself"...

We are gonna make that Don Fairchild 8V71TA of yours pee in the same cup Barry Bonds used if you don't quit reminding us that you are the guy passing us with a big ol' grin as us mere mortal non-turbo folks limp our way up the grades of the planet.

Just kidding,  But I am a bit jealous I must admit. You cure that jealousy instantly every time you tell me how much you spent for that grin!!!  Wink Grin Grin Grin

Rick

I will drive my Detroit hard... I will drive my Detroit hard.
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 03:16:51 PM »

Re: Personal experience w/ 2 cycle Detroit's & Propane injection
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 05:49:48 PM
Run it Thur a skinner valve and fog it into the blower as a gas not a liquid.

On my truck, I run  an RV regulator then to a skinner valve then just spray it in after the air filter. It boils off in the charge air cooler before entering the engine. I am using a 3/32 orifice and get 60hp out of it. I can go bigger with the orifice and get as much as 250hp but I don't need it. Propane for me is a play toy.

Go for it

Don

I just wondered if you could get the same HP by adding a propain injection
It sure would save the cost of a turbo.

but then again i dint have a clue how this works  LOL

Lonnie

1976 4905
Dallas

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 03:52:28 PM »

Lonnie,

Without the added air from the turbo you'll add a bit more power, a lot more heat to the exhaust, and waste a lot of propane.

Why not just run your 4905 the way it was built, learn what your engine can do, then worry about a lot of upgrades, rebuilds and turboing.... bty the way, all of the aforementioned are expensive.

Put a couple thousand miles on your engine before you try to do anything that isn't stock. Learn about what DD's can do and can't do. Before you know what an engine is, or isn't, you have to run it. You really haven't done that yet.

By the by, I had a great little 8V71 (N-70's and "A" timing), in a '68 White-Freightliner with a 4X4 air shift and a 300" wheel base. I did great hauling hay in Washington state, climbing Snowqualmie pass 4 times a week on average.
I decided I wanted more power up the hills so I used a 20# propane tank with a hose to the air intake sitting in a side box of the truck. The hose went behind my seat, and I had a valve I could use to add or subtract propane.
In all actuality, I could get up the hill about 5 minutes faster, but, .... I burned down three loads of hay from flames blowing out the stack when the propane that wasn't burnt, ignited in the exhaust manifold.

The moral of this story is that propane injection works, but it's not a free ride to more power. Those loads cost me a bunch in the short run, and forcing the engine to do what it wasn't built to do was the beginning of an early death for it.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 04:06:22 PM »

Dallas, you almost got it right.  there is no  "w"  in Snoqualmie   Grin   A flaming hay truck not once but 4 times? That must have been exciting!!!!!!

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Lonnie time to go
Lonnie

Saginaw, Michgan

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 04:12:36 PM »

Lonnie,

Without the added air from the turbo you'll add a bit more power, a lot more heat to the exhaust, and waste a lot of propane.

Why not just run your 4905 the way it was built, learn what your engine can do, then worry about a lot of upgrades, rebuilds and turboing.... bty the way, all of the aforementioned are expensive.

Put a couple thousand miles on your engine before you try to do anything that isn't stock. Learn about what DD's can do and can't do. Before you know what an engine is, or isn't, you have to run it. You really haven't done that yet.

By the by, I had a great little 8V71 (N-70's and "A" timing), in a '68 White-Freightliner with a 4X4 air shift and a 300" wheel base. I did great hauling hay in Washington state, climbing Snowqualmie pass 4 times a week on average.
I decided I wanted more power up the hills so I used a 20# propane tank with a hose to the air intake sitting in a side box of the truck. The hose went behind my seat, and I had a valve I could use to add or subtract propane.
In all actuality, I could get up the hill about 5 minutes faster, but, .... I burned down three loads of hay from flames blowing out the stack when the propane that wasn't burnt, ignited in the exhaust manifold.

The moral of this story is that propane injection works, but it's not a free ride to more power. Those loads cost me a bunch in the short run, and forcing the engine to do what it wasn't built to do was the beginning of an early death for it.

Trust me i am not going to touch the engine for awhile.
I like it the way it is, Just wanted to compare the two methods of creating extra horsepower.

Don stated he added 60 hp from the propain thought that was good

From many talks with you and others i will keep my engine slow and simple for along time LOL

Lonnie

1976 4905
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »

OOPS,  3 times not 4.   When and where did you haul hay to?  I grew up/lived in the lower Snoqualmie Valley.....Duvall, Carnation, and Fall City  From 1950 to 1988.  Unloaded a few hay trucks in my time.

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
Dallas

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 04:21:44 PM »

Dammmmit, some day I gotta learn how to spell.

Dallas, you almost got it right.  there is no  "w"  in Snoqualmie   Grin   A flaming hay truck not once but 4 times? That must have been exciting!!!!!!
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2009, 04:23:44 PM »

Maybe TomC should just include his super duper DD in his signature, then he wouldn't have to remember what was done and have to put it in print! Wink Maybe when he gets his truck done he'll donate the engine to ME! Wink I would love to hear a YouTube Video of that, how about it TomC?

Don't get me wrong, I just can't imagine all those ponies pushing me up a hill, you have to feed them. I'll settle for less, sit back and smile as he flys by. I could drive a lot of miles and see this great country for what it cost. That would be more fun too!

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: