Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 23, 2014, 07:28:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally a FUN topic...A couple of day for relaxing.  (Read 3548 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2009, 06:00:48 PM »

Okay. We are going to have a couple of days Rocky Mountain National Park. We will be their in about 4 or 5 weeks. (I know, we have to get the bus semi livable). We will be in Denver area, and then head out for a couple of days of fun. It is a little backwards, because usually we work, and then play, but this trip we will do a little work, play, and then a lot of work Grin.

So, my questions.

1. What are the best campgrounds near there, that will accommodate us in our 45' with no toad (we won't have the trailer then).

2. We like to hike. Any ideas on some good hikes, or whatever, that we can get the bus into, so we can park and hike. We have done fourteenrs, and enjoy them. Have you all tried any good "summitting" hikes? We like to keep those long days under 17 miles, but we can go further if it is a good climb (when we are doing that long a hike, we like less than a mile or two of rock fields).

Any ideas for us? I would be very grateful!

Thanks a lot.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 04:40:56 AM »

Nobody? Awww, I was hoping....

God bless,

John

Chopper Scott

MCI 7

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 05:11:38 AM »

Not any advise I can give you about hiking John. Enjoy your trip however. Later

Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.
John316

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:13:19 AM »

What about a campground?

God bless,

John

Airbag

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 05:44:44 AM »

I wish I could say I have been there but I can't. I will await your report Grin Try this page and others for campsites and do what I do, use Google Earth to check topography.

http://www.estespark.us/EP-Lodging-Campgrounds.php
Len Silva

Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 06:05:45 AM »

Can't help you with specifics but I have had very good results with this site:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

Have fun,

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.
bcaddel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:45 AM »

17 mile hike, WOW that's pretty impressive to me. We have a couple of trail horses and thats a pretty full day for the wife and I to take the horses up to the Sierra's and ride 17 miles.

I envy you, hope you have a good time and find that trail your looking for.
Bob

Bob Caddel, Las Vegas Nevada
1971 MC7, 8V71, Allison MT654
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 06:40:11 AM »

I got the site for woodalls from Dallas its the best I have found.

John
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 06:43:54 AM »

John, unless the Estes Park area has changed it going to be a struggle to find camping for a 45 ft rig.
 Email Wayne (Rusty) on the board here he lives at Johnstown CO and can provide first hand info on camping in that area. 
John looks like the Eagle rally in Goodard Ks will take place about the same time you are in Co I was hoping you could stop by or attend our rally Sept 17-19 at Lake Afton   

good luck
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 06:56:37 AM by luvrbus » Logged

Life is short drink the good wine first
rusty

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 07:22:19 AM »

John, If you like fourteeners and are going to be in the park a good day hike is Longspeak. The trail head is just outside of Estes Park. It can be done in a long day. In 4 weeks it is not unusall to see a snow strom on the high peaks so be prepared. I am not sure of camping as we don't camp that close to home, but will do some checking and get back to you. Also in Colorado we have what is called the Colorado trail that goes from Denver to Durango. I have not hiked the trail but I am sure there are some pretty parts. That time of year should be pretty with the aspens turning. I have a full hookup at the house you are welcome to drop by and I can help you with some sights and things to see in the Estes Park area.

Enjoy Colorado Wayne
luvrbus

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:28:45 AM »

Yep Wayne and you can show him the blood ,sweat and tears we put into these Eagles and (cash ) lol

good luck

Life is short drink the good wine first
John316

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 09:17:52 AM »

Thanks for the responses guys. We have some stuff to work with. As for parking at trailheads, we will just end talking with the rangers to see what we can do.

John4104 I didn't understand your post. Is woodall's a campground? Would they accommodate us, with our 45'r.

Sorry about not being able to come, Clifford. Actually this is the start of our trip, and we won't have much "fun" time on the trip. Sorry I will have to miss it.

Wayne, Thank you very much for your help. That was a kind offer about letting us stay at your place. We will talk it over. We usually do the Beauna Vista area, but we wanted to do Estes park this time. We have done a couple of fourteenrs there, and Long's peak would be nice. However, the problem is with parking. I am not sure how that would be....About the Colorado trail. We have liked that, and it is nice, but we do like to "get" somewhere Grin. That would be great if you happen to be able to check out a Cg or two, but don't inconvenience yourself.

Thanks a lot.

God bless,

John

Dallas

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »

Woodall's is a camping information source.

http://www.woodalls.com/
John316

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 10:06:49 AM »

Thanks Dallas. That helped.

God bless,

John

PADoug

Squirrels store food in bus. Are they bus nuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 11:53:32 AM »

I was there in 1986 with my brother and Sister-in-Law. We drove down from Cheyenne, WY when he was stationed there. The only two things worth mentioning that I can remember(Besides the scenery and oil-based recycling toilets) is the drive up the mountain was not easy even for a little Dodge Omni with a 2.2 liter and 5-speed stick. Also, there is a place not too far near Fort Collins, CO that we stopped by and looked pretty open it had a small lake/pond that people were boating on. Can you possibly rent a car for a day?

Living life one day at a time, and keeping first things first. MM Philanthropy#225 F&AM Greensburg, PA
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: