Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
October 25, 2014, 07:48:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not be stolen by your mailman or your neighbor who also may be into buses.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to test everything on air brake systems - Back Up!  (Read 6859 times)
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 09:18:14 AM »

On the parking brake, if you set ours when our pressure is at 120, then it can be released at anything above 90 (I think that is where it is set).

That is just on our bus, so I don't know about others.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 09:25:25 AM »

Guys, 90 psi is pretty much standard before the park brake releases. If it's higher or lower maybe your gauge is inaccurate or have the wrong setup! That's to insure you have enough pressure to make a brake application.

This is a great thread! Stopping these beasts and understanding the system is important. There is a lot of good information on the Bendix site also.

http://www.bendix.com/en-us/Pages/default.aspx

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
bevans6

1980 MCI MC-5C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 12:29:08 PM »

I re-did the emergency brake section, please see if it makes sense to you, and matches your understanding of how the DD3 emergency brake operates.

thanks, Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Spicer 8844 4 speed Zen meditation device
Vintage race cars -
1978 Lola T440 Formula Ford
1972 NTM MK-4 B/SR
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 12:44:53 PM »

Bevans6,

My back has been out these past few days.  So bad I couldn't even sit at a key board.  I read your post about "c'mon guys" and regret that you might have felt ignored.  I read it the day before I got stopped, but actually, I was humbled.  You have done such a magnificent job....truly.  We will all benefit from your work and effort and learning and communication.  I doesn't escape me that you are evidencing a serious concern/respect for our well being here.  I am sorry I couldn't get back to you to express my appreciation sooner.  Don't ever delete your work again without taking a personal inventory that excludes emotion as a factor.  It has been overwhelming in the "approval" column and a single "disapproval" so far but have heart, all the votes are not in just yet and you may eventually be soundly condemned for you effort.(joke there...get it?)

When I read you being criticized for being arrogant, I was floored.  You sited the fact that you had been to "one" school.  You stated that you were speaking only to the limited application of "your" system and highlighted that other systems are probably different and would check out differently.  You stated that you had probably made mistakes and cautioned everyone on same.  You asked for assistance in correction of fact and also a proof read.  You asked for suggestions to improve the Procedure and explanation. HEY!  I just looked up humility, well intentioned and generous in Webster and I can say with authority that you picture is in there for all three definitions.

One of the most vitriolically condemned types of people are called "Do Gooders".  You did REALLY good Brian.  Brace yourself! Huh Grin Grin

Another thing that "might" be worth mentioning is that you have no profit motive in this.  You aren't selling services, that I am aware of.  You don't seem to have forgotten:  Give a man a fish and you feed him today, teach him to fish and you feed him for life".

My heartfelt thanks.  Teaching is a very high calling, so is sharing/charity,  I am proud to be your friend and I hope that is true both ways,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »

Brian,

I found your post very informative and I don't even have a bus anymore.  I got rid of my bus (project??) a couple years ago and bought a Kenworth T2000 to tow a fifth wheeler.  I too am an engineer, but I was never schooled in airsystems.  I have looked at all these valves, lines, parts and have the manuals to be a parts changer, but testing was something I haven't gotten to yet. I am still in the process of changing my Heavy Duty Truck to a legal Motor Home [remove back axle, add many things into sleeper, R&R things that have 1,409,000 miles on them, etc] so other than the drive home from the truck lot I haven't gotten to tests yet.  Thanks for the post, I saved it and will print it next week when I get back to my printer. 

P.S., just last week I was thinking of how to test the check valves on the two system tanks I have from the wet tank, thanks!

Russ

Russ, if you would like help testing your dual air brake system, email me and I can get you going in the right direction.
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »

Without reading the first post as it currently is configured, I already know it will be full of good stuff.
Brian has already shown that he is a quick study and observant.

I will pour another beverage and start plowing through the current version.

Stand by for more opinion.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:41:35 AM by Nick Badame Refrig. Co. » Logged

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
buswarrior

'75 MC8 8V71 HT740

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 08:38:38 PM »

ok, it took more beverage to get through that than is right to start typing an intelligent contribution...

That being said, this is a good base of work for moving forward, as I read it, in this evenings version, needing some very few adjustments, and for those knowing my propensity for writing about brakes, some long winded additional info for a few obscure details.

I will correspond later, when my concentration is equal to the gravity and importance of this issue.

Thank you Brian.

PS: where did those #@$%^%@#$ smileys come from on my last post? I didn't put those illegitimate beggars on there....

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
Nick Badame Refrig/ACC
1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
Global Moderator

Nick & Michelle Badame

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 05:43:31 AM »

Hi Folks,

This thread is now back. I modified some posts and we are good to continue on.
Please let me know if I missed something.

Hope this helps
Nick-

Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 06:07:09 AM »

Looks great Nick!

Thank you for all that you do. I know that the moderating job is usually a thankless, and difficult duty. I know that you can't please everybody, but I know that I am grateful for all that you do.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
JohnEd

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »

Brian,

This site is free from Wiki and it might help to add it to your work.  I have seen better diagrams and I think they came from Bendix but so far I got nothing to show from them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_%28road_vehicle%29#Compressed_Air_Brake_Systemhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_brake_%28road_vehicle%29#Compressed_Air_Brake_System

That's a mouth full....right?

Nick,

Great idea and good work.  Shame to waste this valuable info.  Can we make this permanent and available long term?  It looks like it will be sorted out in a few weeks.

Thanks,

John

"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla
Van
Billy Van Hagen

89' Silver Eagle 15/40 6V92MUI Boulder City,NV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 12:30:49 PM »

I had this buried some where if it is still good,may be of some interest .http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=2670

If you are not living on the edge, then you're takin' up too much space!!!
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: