Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
September 20, 2014, 04:59:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an E-Mag Subscription: You will not have to go out in the rain, sleet, hail, or snow to retrieve it.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is best way to clean bus seats?  (Read 751 times)
belfert

Ignore
« on: August 15, 2009, 08:34:35 PM »

I still have three sets of original bus seats in my bus and I noticed the other day the bottoms are filthy.  What is the best way to clean these?

I can't stand the overwhelming smell of shampoo after having car upholstery cleaned and I am hoping to find a method that won't leave any residue in the seats.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
TomC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:09:17 PM »

As with most everything I clean on the bus, I use Oileater.  It has a pleasant smell and like the name says, it gets oil out very easily.  I use it to clean my carpet and upholstery, dilute it to clean the bus (really gets the road grime off).  Give it a try.  Currently-I buy it on line since Costco stopped carrying it.  Good Luck, TomC

Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.
trucktramp

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 06:05:46 AM »

Try Brake Parts Cleaner.  It's available at every parts store and works like a charm and won't damage leather upholstery.  A garage that I worked at had a dog that loved to ride in cars.  One day we had a new Caddy come in for some service work.  The next bay over had the remains of an oil change that mostly spilled on the floor.  When the Caddy pulled in and the mechanic got out, the dog ran over and jumped in...on the white leather seats.  It was not pretty.  The boss thought he was buying new seats.  One of the guys figured there was nothing to lose so he sprayed it on the seats and voila the grease and oil cleaned right off with no damage to the leather.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual
Hartley

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 07:07:51 AM »

Most seats are made with foam inserts.

Beware of using "any" solvents on foam. They will degrade and fall apart if not disolve.

I use "Tough Stuff" comes in a spray can and works very well on just about everything and leaves no objectionable odor. Most auto parts chain stores carry it.

The only other way is to take the seat apart and remove the cover and have only the covers dry cleaned. Short of getting new covers to install.

Never take a knife to a gunfight!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: