Bus Conversions dot Com Bulletin Board
November 22, 2014, 11:23:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you had an Online Subscription: It will not get torn up or crushed if you back over it with your bus.
   Home   Help Forum Rules Search Calendar Login Register BCM Home Page Contact BCM  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blower belt for MCI  (Read 3421 times)
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »

Yes it is a complete set up they redesigned the set up and the old one is not available anymore.
I'd take the old one off and have C & J or a machine shop replace the bearings in the one you have and put it back on. It'll last you the rest of the time you own it no more than you'll use it!  (been down that road b4!)
Grin  BK  Grin

I suspect you're thinking of the alternator belt tensioner mounted on the Series 60.  JD has mentioned tht they quit using that design due to problems, but also that the new design is over $1000.  I have no idea what is wrong with that design as it seems to work on my bus.

I'm talking about the tensioner pully for the fan belt that is bolted to the frame below the radiator.  I suppose I could take that pully off and have new bearings put in.  It is a total pain in the rear to remove/replace the fan belts though.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 07:37:30 AM »

Quote from: belfert
I suspect you're thinking of the alternator belt tensioner mounted on the Series 60.  JD has mentioned tht they quit using that design due to problems, but also that the new design is over $1000.  I have no idea what is wrong with that design as it seems to work on my bus.

I'm talking about the tensioner pully for the fan belt that is bolted to the frame below the radiator.  I suppose I could take that pully off and have new bearings put in.  It is a total pain in the rear to remove/replace the fan belts though.

Brian yer right! I goofed it is the one mounted on the engine I am referring to! I'd still rebuild yers now, much cheaper to put new bears in what ya have while it's still in one piece! Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
DaveG

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 01:39:56 PM »

Regardless of the shelf life of belts, having a spare belt (even if it is past its prime) is usually better than having no belt. One thing some of you might consider is replacing all the belts (with new) and keeping the old ones for spares.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 01:56:43 PM »

That is what i do with all of my rigs. Smiley

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 02:06:16 PM »

It is a total pain in the rear to remove/replace the fan belts though.

So what is the easiest procedure to remove and reinstall.

Thanks

John
belfert

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 04:00:52 PM »

It is a total pain in the rear to remove/replace the fan belts though.

So what is the easiest procedure to remove and reinstall.

I have a Dina so the fan belt is nothing like the blower belt on an MCI.

When I changed my radiator, I ended up unbolting the entire tensioner assembly to get the fan belt reinstalled.

Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN
Dreamscape
Dreamscape
Global Moderator

1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V71 Allison 740 #7443

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »

Michael,

Come to TBR this year and you can talk to Sonnie Gray, he has one of those little Honda's as a project car.

Paul

Becky and Paul Lawry, On The Road
Travel Blog - http://dreamscapetravels.wordpress.com/
Bus Blog - http://dreamscapesilvereagle.wordpress.com/

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.
Busted Knuckle

6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 07:49:31 PM »

Michael,

Come to TBR this year and you can talk to Sonnie Gray, he has one of those little Honda's as a project car.

Paul

argh??? ?   Grin  BK  Grin

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Grin Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! Grin (at least thats what momma always told me! Grin)
johns4104s

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 06:31:00 AM »

Is the be it difficult to change the blower belt? If so are there any tips someone can share?

Thanks

John
paul102a3

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 06:55:02 AM »

Belt Update - According to the parts manager in the Orlando MCI facility, the 8K-27-7 belts are out of stock across all their warehouses. They have 89 belts on backorder so I called US Coach at Nick's suggestion and they did have the belt in stock.

MCI could not tell me when the belts may be in stock but when they do get them, they would at least be new and not older ones sitting on a shelf.

Just thought I would share.

Paul

2001 Prevost XL II
Don4107

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 01:33:46 PM »

On the subject of idlers, you can find many types at the local John Deere or Case IH farm equipment store.  I needed one to add to my old bus to keep a belt from wobbling and rubbing another belt.  Having worked around combines and such I knew they had what I needed.  You just need a parts guy with enough gray hair to know what you need by description instead of part number.

Being a GM driver I have no idea what type you need for a MCI but it might be worth a try.  Bus ran even better with a little John Deere green in the engine compartment. Smiley

Don 4107 Eastern Washington
1975 MCI 5B
1966 GM PD 4107 for sale
1968 GMC Carpenter
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »

Good idea, Don.

We finally learned, the hard way, to carry a spare. It was very interesting that nobody in Carlsbad had anything that we could rig to make it work. Finally we found a machinist at a hydrolic shop that machined a new one for us.

On a side note, we might be able to visit the caverns again next January. That will be nice, but we will have spare parts with us Grin.

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Ed Hackenbruch

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 09:18:30 PM »

John, if you do make it to the Caverns, go down twice.  The first time go down the elevator and do the loop and come back up the elevator. Then follow the path to the original entrance and walk down to the bottom. You don't have the formations like the ones at the bottom, but it is spectacular in a different way.  Just before the bottom you go around and under a little rock that fell from the roof years ago. Must have shook the ground a little bit when it did. Smiley  Amazing it fell that far and stayed in one piece. You end up coming out close to the elevator. Grin

1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.  Western USA
John316

MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2009, 04:40:23 AM »

Thanks for the advice Ed. Great info!

God bless,

John

MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: